Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

User auto load configuration?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: User auto load configuration? Reply with quote

Those familiar with Korg's file system forgive my beginner's questions. I'm still in week one of my Kronos use (my last Korg synth was a Trinity), and I'm not asking them instead of reading the manual, but besides reading the manual.

My first file system interest is simple and straightforward:
- not to mess up things I would like to keep the standard factory preload
- then I would like to get an empty preload environment (one for now)
Purpose: start filling it with programs I like, then edit the programs to get into sound programming in a way of learning by doing, and do all that without affecting the factory preload.
- here my difficulties of understanding begin: the Kronos seems to use two basic form of files:
a) ksc data (folders containg samples and multisamples)
b) pcs data (folders containg program/combi definition data?)
- so how do I get an empty environment in the first place (I guess I could then check it for autoload and uncheck the factory one)?
- and how do I fill the program and combi slots afterwards?

For the latter I already tried loading extra HD1 programs from the SSD content, by opening their ksc folders and loading single instruments into a free user slot in user memory G. Then they were immideately available and playable from there. I didn't perform a write for them, but they were still in place after switching the Kronos off and on. Do the KSC files already contain all the program settings besides the sample data?

I just want reliable feedback from experienced users to avoid getting something basic wrong with my goal named above. Then I can do the rest by checking the manual and parameter guide.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any experienced user?
Synthvalley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimknopf wrote:
Any experienced user?

Well, finishing my first week as a new Korg and Kronos user I don't qualify as deeply experienced, but aron collected a bunch of discussion on the subject here

SV
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly, you want to be sure you have a back-up of the Factory preload to be safe. No problem there, it's on your internal SSD disk in the FACTORY folder.

Now you want to make a Bank that you can use as a scratch-pad/workplace to study and tweak sounds. Use USER-G for that.

Your only issue is that a Bank can either be an HD-1 Bank (sample-playback engine), or an EXi bank (all other engines). If you're willing to change back and forth you can use U-G for that, but you'll have to switch it between the two formats. From the factory User-G is set to HD-1, so you can load EX-s3 sounds in there, for example. If you want to change it to EXi you go to Global Mode, the Upper RH Menu and there is a command for changing Bank Type.

Is this what you're looking to do? Does this answer you?

Jerry
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry, what I would like is rather have a "tabula rasa" environment with all EXis and HD-1 on board except perhaps STR-1, but empty program and combi slots.

I would like then to configure my own set of programs and combis from scratch, in part by just loading single factory sounds, in part by tweaking them, making new ones and own combinations.

That would be
a) my ideal playground without having to switch between EXi and HD-1 in just one free bank
b) allow me to do my first basic environment with chosen sounds

I'm not concerned about a backup of the original factory settings: I know I can load them both from SSD and CD. But I would like to switch between starting with factory settings and with just my own environment. If I understood correctly I can do that by choosing the ksc to load at next startup, or by just loading the ksc I want, once after it is created.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. For access to all the waveforms possible for HD-1 programming you still want the Factory preload (at minimum). Fully loading EXs-3 will give you even more Brass and Woodwind waveforms to use.

KSC/KMP etc. have NOTHING to do with the other engines:

CX-3
AL-1
STR-1
LAC-1
MOD-7
EP-1

So there's no reason to unload all the extra PCM when working with them. You'll gain no advantage. And you can use PCM within the STR-1 and MOD-7 so it's good to have it all loaded anyway.

You can freely access these engines from within any single Bank that is set to be EXi, not HD-1 as I mentioned above. No need to make a dedicated bank to each engine, unless you insist on working that way. If so you can do the "init" procedure I described for as many Banks as you wish.

So at this point it comes down to how many empty Banks you want for your work.

The easiest way to clear a Bank is to "toggle" it between the two states I mentioned above. A smart thing to do would then be to save one of these empty Banks (1 for HD-1 format, one for EXi format) once you've done this for easy recall.

Got it?

Jerry
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, emptying banks now looks a lot more easy.

But then I would like to toggle between the factory status or my own envoronment at will.

So can I save both overall states (or later others) on SSD and load the environment I want (either at startup or during work)?

Thank you for the time you take. I know you help despite your changed status and appreciate it.
jerrythek
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the only thing you really need to change is to save and reload the appropriate PCG file.

Program, Combination and Global.

Note: Don't just always save everything for these - take the time to configure them. In your example/need you really don't need to always save/reload Combinations since you're not working with them now. You don't likely need to change anything in Global either - so uncheck all of these.

Only check the Program Banks that you are using/playing with.

My position change is not a factor here - we can all contribute to a good community, and share knowledge, tips and tricks. Maybe someday I'll start a business supporting Korg keyboards in some way (tutorials/sounds/???) and you all will be willing to support me - I've earned the good karma (non-acronym), right?

Wink

Jerry
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, with such a good attitude I am sure you WILL make your way! Cool
And it also helps us to accept your support without mixed feelings (steal your time etc.). Thanks for claryfying.

OK I will have a view at PCG files next.
Wouldn't it be good to overcome the separation of pcg and ksc-files in the OS and do your choice within a unified file handling just with checkboxes like they are already used.

For someone new to the Korg file system I found/find it quite confusing to understand the logic behind these two file types and their relations in practical file management.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One basic question: you don't mention loading different samples. Is that correct? In that case, it seems like you shouldn't need to do anything with KSCs at all. Just leave the auto-load setting as it is. Everything that you've mentioned (having an empty environment for editing Programs, loading individual preload Programs as desired) can be done without changing the KSC setup. Similarly, switching back and forth between that setup and the factory configuration would be done only with PCG files, as Jerry mentions.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, got it.

- Now I use the "preload.pcg" in the "Factory" folder as my basic reference for the factory content programs and combis.

- tested initialising user bank A by changing it to EXi

- wrote change config to "new.pcg" in root folder

now loading either pcg works without problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: