Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change Prog/Combi While Drum Track Playing?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Change Prog/Combi While Drum Track Playing? Reply with quote

Is there a way to change the program or combi you are playing, while keeping a single drum track playing? Like some kind of a global drum track that overrides and doesn't change when you change sounds? I can imagine there may be a way to do something like this by setting up a song in the sequencer, but it seems like there should be an easier way.

Yes, I am new to keyboards as sophisticated as this, so I apologize if this is a silly question Razz
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A program is a self contained thing. Its drum track is a part of the components which make up a program.

A combi is a self contained thing which contains many programs, including drum track.

A seq is similar to the combi...in this regard, with additional editing and recording features.

So the answer is.....no, there is no Global drum track. To do what you want, use a combi. Copy a program or two that you like into an initialized combi...or just surf on one of the combi slots, and change programs at random. Put the drum track you like in one slot....and change programs to play "over it" in other slots. Create a combi just for this purpose...set up your effects the way you like, and just surf away....mix and match.

No way to change complete combis this same way, unless you copy a combi or two or three into a Seq.

Me.....I use a looper for this purpose. Korg KP3 can work nicely for this. Get a drum loop going, sample it onto the KP3 (which is the simplest thing in the world to do, in real time, in perfect timing.....its almost automatic). Now surf the combis or programs on Kronos, play around, sample your noodling's onto another Pad of the KP3. Switch combis, or programs, or other drum tracks, or whatever....and add more. Re-sample the loops into a "mix-down" (on the KP3) to free up the "sample pads". Build it up even more. It works and sounds fantastic! You just keep freeing up "resources" on the Kronos so you can use all of its diverse sonic capabilities (programs, engines, combis, effects, etc) in your composition, all in real time.

This results in some amazing 'ideas" being generated that are in real time, and inspired at random. Then....you can record these loops (individually, or as one stereo file) back to Kronos to its audio tracks to work even further. I have thought for YEARS that a real time audio looper such as KP3 should be built into a workstation keyboard! It opens up the work flow immensely, and really addresses the age old "workstation issues" of polyphony, effects limitations, and mixing and matching various patches. If they can build it into KP3....surely they could put it into KRONOS. (obviously Kronos is a sampler...but its not a real time looper like the immediacy of KP3).

I have several loopers, actually, and can build up immense poly-rhythmic compositions, with outstanding audio quality, all fed from the Kronos and midi synced to the Kronos. Its a great way to compose!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
MidnightPackage

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Ron, I appreciate your help. I suspected this might be the case. I will check out the KP3 and other loopers. That sounds like fun Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: