Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has the Kronos/OASYS improved your keyboard chops?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Has the Kronos/OASYS improved your keyboard chops? Reply with quote

I wanted to get some feedback from folks in both camps (Kronos and Oasys) as to whether outside of the technological features, either of these two keyboards have improved notably your keyboard playing skills? How so and how have you measured that? Let keep it quantifiable and not emotional please as we know both instruments are inspirational.

I can say as for me, the OASYS has augmented my keyboard skillset significantly. I will be honest that about 75% of the time I end up staying with the OASYS piano sound as it is very realistic. I've noticed that I can play far more complex music than I was able to do before. everything from ELPs tarkus to Rachmaninoff piano concertos and the ramp up has been fast. I must say a good instrument as is the OASYS has really allowed me to push the limits. I have an 88 note OASYS and the RH2 action really has inspired the elevation of playing.

Your thoughts?
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have an Oasys and it has Not in any manner improved my technical skill set. I do all my hardcore playing on my Yamaha C1 grand piano. The Yamaha C1 requires more finger strength...actually significantly more strength. I practice 2 hours every night on it after work.

I'm dumb founded that you can play Rachmaninoff Concertos on the Oasys, I cant play a simple Rach Etude on the Oasys without it all becoming mushy both in terms of sound and touch of keys...and its not bad sustain pedaling on my part creating the mushy sound. Anything requiring hardcore arpeggios, repetitive thick block chords, and super fast scale runs quickly eats up the poly on the O and becomes mushy...anyway thats how it is for me.

Sorry, but to me, the Oasys piano is no where near as good as my cheap Yamaha P140 digital piano, which i use for night time practice, and on the odd occassion when i break strings on the grand while waiting for repairs to take place. I also like the keybed on the P140.

We seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum scale...plz note i'm not arguing with you or trying to start anything. Basically this goes to show how people as individuals can have different oppinions of the same item.

Haha, read the Jupiter 80 thread in here lol. Nobody can agree to agree.

Take it easy
Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
franzlp

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you have an OASYS which is pretty much 98% Kronos why would you order a Kronos 88? As Spock would say "illogical" captain.
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Liszt's Funerailles at a benefit concert last month and there was a week where I had to travel out of town away from my piano so I took my Korg Triton to practice on. I believe they have the RH2 keybed. The rapid fire LH Octave section would always be much more difficult to play and would sound horribly mushy like the previous poster observed. My piano instructors would always notice what they would call a difference in my tone if I had been practicing classical repertoire on the keyboard. They would always scold me and say to practice more on the acoustic piano. My friend owns the M3 and I can't play much of my repertoire on it. It feels really sluggish to me. I'll have to adjust to the RH3 though seeing the Kronos uses it. I won't be performing any classical repertoire on it anyways. All that being said I would prefer a piano for piano sounds but the RH2 over the RH3. Don't really care for the M3 or Triton's piano sounds but I'm sure the Oasys and Kronos sounds are fine.

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com

Last edited by CoreyMast on Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
maphill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franzlp wrote:
So if you have an OASYS which is pretty much 98% Kronos why would you order a Kronos 88? As Spock would say "illogical" captain.

I disagree. There are multiple reasons to want a Kronos (and some concessions as well). It just depends on your priorities. I'm making the same switch.

Fodder for decision making: http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=58229

Mark
CoreyMast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when the Triton Extreme came out. I wanted the tube so bad and the upgraded sounds that came with it. It was discontinued before I was able to purchase it though. So I can see how an Oasys owner would want to update to a Kronos.

Alesis Andromeda A6, Kronos 88

www.coreymast.com
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Drum Track. This ALONE is worth paying $3+ Grand to me! When I got my M50-88, I got SO much inspiration in Program mode utilizing Drum Track to the point where I wondered how I ever lived this long without it.

As a former M50 owner, I have to agree with this. It would be easy to write off the drum track as a "home keyboard" or "arranger" feature, but I think it can be a serious studio tool. In fact, interface aside, I see no reason to have a separate (digital) drum machine.

Another HUGE feature, that I was unaware of until I watched a short Kronos tutorial online, is that the different sounds in a drum track can be processed independently of one another. I had always assumed that the whole drum track would have to take its effects globally. But being able to assign different effects/levels to the kicks, snares, toms, hats, etc. is just huge. Can't wait to explore that...
apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CfNorENa wrote:

Another HUGE feature, that I was unaware of until I watched a short Kronos tutorial online, is that the different sounds in a drum track can be processed independently of one another. I had always assumed that the whole drum track would have to take its effects globally. But being able to assign different effects/levels to the kicks, snares, toms, hats, etc. is just huge. Can't wait to explore that...

isn't this available on the m3 too?

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
CfNorENa

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
CfNorENa wrote:

isn't this available on the m3 too?

Dunno. As far as I know, it was probably available to me on my M50 without me being aware of it. Face palm

Either way, it's a terrific feature, methinks...
dangerousdave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It's early days at the moment, but I'm not expecting the Kronos to improve my chops significantly. It is forcing me to learn a lot about synthesis and MIDI very quickly though.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I haven't played this much, especially piano, in a long time. For me, the answer to the question is definitely yes. It's a very inspirational instrument to play, and covers pretty much any mood.
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, definitely!

I have the Kronos nearly a week now, and when I got it, I hardly could move my fingers separately.

Now after some days I can't refrain from playing Chopin etudes three hours a day, transposing them ad hoc through all keys just for fun.
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to be spending so much time playing it I will definitely improve my chops!

I have also been playing Tarkus on the organ engine!
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M3 61 with Radias EXP, DSI Prophet 6,Moog Voyager, Korg MS-20 kit, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg Legacy Collection, Roland JV1080, Roland D10, EDP Wasp, Roland TR606 Drumatix, Ableton Live, Ableton Push
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: