Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Found a great pad controller
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doogler63

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:56 am    Post subject: Pad Controllers suitable for Korg kronos Reply with quote

Hello , l am looking at a novation launchpad controller to use with my korg kronos to trigger the pads instead of using the screen as a pad controller,has anyone any idea if this controller works at all, please note that this unit only has USB output and no midi in or out.

Thank you

Robert
Very Happy
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos will not accept MIDI over USB from the launchpad currently. Much discussion about this has been thrown around and after all of that, the KORG padKONTROL or one of the AKAI MPD units are the best alternatives for now.

Chris
doogler63

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much drchris for that information, it seems really strange that such a new keyboard cannot handle midi via USB but l guess that this may be looked at in future updates we hope. l did read about the Akai MPD16 but we cannot buy them anymore in Australia and there doesn’t seem to be any on ebay either. Once again thank you for your advise.

Cheers

Robert Razz
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A specialized driver is required to accept that kind of MIDI input over USB. Korg might make one...or not. In the mean time, you cannot use USB pad controllers. But any pad controller that sends out a MIDI port and can be routed to the MIDI in port of the Kronos will work just fine. Already been covered in many posts.

doogler63

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Stephen l did not no that it had been covered in such detail but l will read up on it.
Thank you once again

Cheers

Robert
Razz
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question relevant to the Akai controllers: has anyone had a chance to compare MPD pads to those of the MPC-1000? I have an MPC-1000 and since getting the Kronos it has been relegated to controller status. I've had occasion to play with the MPK-49 and MPK-88 and found both of their pad sets to be lacking the dynamic feel of the MPC-1000. I'm curious if this has been corrected with the MPD's. If so, expect to see a well-loved MPC-1000 for sale very imminently!
Thanks!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
irtehyar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible new alternative to this:

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2011/07/15/-connect-usb-to-5-pin-midi/

It's a bit pricey, probably because they're the only ones making anything like it. For now.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you program the MPD 16 pads for CC#110-117 as they are in Kronos (Global/Controllers)
you can then play your pads and they will play any chords that Kronos is set to. Very Happy

This thread has me confused. I know you cannot plug a usb controller into Kronos and play the pads, but I seem to think that, for instance in Logic, the pad controller shows up as a usb midi device,
which you can hook up to the Kronos device Global channel 1 and send cc# 110 -117 to Kronos to play the pads. I realize if you are playing live without a laptop this may not be of any help. But if you are working in a studio environment, should work.
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great tip on the CC#'s, Lou! I didn't know that little fact, and so far have just been using note numbers higher than the traditional 88 keys. This will be useful.

You're right, if you use USB pads via a DAW / Computer, they will / should work. I think people are talking about direct to the Kronos. In that case, only true MIDI input will work. The Kronos can't receive MIDI over USB from devices other than a computer.

Chris
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using a Launchpad and if so can you set the pads to the cc#s I mentioned. I have a Launchpad,
I know it's not velocity sensitive, but didn't know if you can set the pads on it to the cc#s..?
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RonF wrote:
Perhaps I am misunderstanding your post....but the KRONOS CAN already save custom chord triggers, and is shipped programmed with the same basic chord triggers, as the M3 or OASYS. All that is missing is the physical controller (although you get an onscreen controller to replace it). The only function of using a "pad controller" is to add physical pads, if you prefer the physical pad experience to the onscreen controller experience. Otherwise, the KRONOS has the exact same functionality of M3 or OASYS.

But now, if you attach a pad controller, it won't contain the pad settings in the Kronos, it'll have it's own, won't it? so if you call up your grand piano sound, and start pressing pads, it won't play what's preset into the Kronos, you'd have to put that into the pad controller yourself, wouldn't you?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gargamel314 wrote:
But now, if you attach a pad controller, it won't contain the pad settings in the Kronos, it'll have it's own, won't it? so if you call up your grand piano sound, and start pressing pads, it won't play what's preset into the Kronos, you'd have to put that into the pad controller yourself, wouldn't you?

No, if you set the pad device to send the correct CCs/Notes that you specify in the Global > Controllers page, it will trigger the 8 stored chord pad settings in each program/combi, and not the notes stored in the pad device.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Gargamel314 wrote:

No, if you set the pad device to send the correct CCs/Notes that you specify in the Global > Controllers page, it will trigger the 8 stored chord pad settings in each program/combi, and not the notes stored in the pad device.

For Behringer FCB1010 users this means they can control it from the board as well, which is nice because I have 1 or 2 free pedals left and 2 pads are more than enough (I'm using it mainly for a simple effect sound).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
Are you using a Launchpad and if so can you set the pads to the cc#s I mentioned. I have a Launchpad,
I know it's not velocity sensitive, but didn't know if you can set the pads on it to the cc#s..?

No I'm using a MPK49, but I can do the same setup on it. Again, Thanks!
Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: