Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are you using a UPS (with a Kronos)?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you using a UPS (with a Kronos)?
I don't have a Kronos but am curious for results
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
I use a Kronos both in studio and at stage and always use a UPS
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
I use a Kronos with UPS in studio and without UPS on stage (or never use a Kronos on stage)
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
I use a Kronos with a power conditioner
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
I use a Kronos without a power conditioner or UPS
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 17

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:44 pm    Post subject: Are you using a UPS (with a Kronos)? Reply with quote

As a result of an interesting discussion I start a new poll.
The discussion is about using a UPS for Kronos because of blackouts/brownouts and the SSD failure consequences.

See the forum post at:
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=407226#407226

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and it's only 15 lbs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842101381

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, I put two options together that shouldn't Sad

Now I don't know who is using a Kronos on stage with or without a UPS.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Damn, I put two options together that shouldn't Sad

Now I don't know who is using a Kronos on stage with or without a UPS.

Polls are not editable. Gotta post um right the first time Very Happy

PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great poll. I notice quite a few of the major professionals in the keyboard scene using these and have thought about getting one myself even before the issue of having a keyboard that could be damaged by a power outage.

I currently use a power conditioner (EVERYONE should, heck they are like $20 for a Furman on craigslist or ebay).

With the kronos (which I will be using on stage), I'm very interested in getting one of these and for the one linked at $110, seems silly not to get one.

I would be curious as to how long the kronos could last on that before it runs out of juice. Come on, how awesome would it be if the entire place goes black and all the audience can hear is the kronos and the drummer! Easy way to get a nice 20 minute keyboard solo!

So yes, very interested in the results of this poll and thanks already to those linking good ones to check out.
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
I would be curious as to how long the kronos could last on that before it runs out of juice. Come on, how awesome would it be if the entire place goes black and all the audience can hear is the kronos and the drummer! Easy way to get a nice 20 minute keyboard solo!

I did pretty much research before selecting this one. It is one of the lighter ones. Most are around 30 lbs. This one is only 15. And as per the LCD display, the Kronos could operate over an hour on the battery alone. About 50+ minutes for my Kronos, Virus and MOTU together.

Kronos advertises to draw 60W, but it's really only about 45W. The Virus is advertised to draw 18W and only draws about half that on average.

franzlp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=01&id=PL-PLUSC

&

APC BR1500G BACK-UPS RS 1500 10-Outlet 1500VA/865W UPS System

In a power outage this UPS is able to provide me 20min of power with the following up and running.

Oasys88
DW-8000
Kawai SX-210
Lexicon MX400
Vocalist Live PRo
2 - Wharfdale 8.1 Diamond Pro speakers.

Nice UPS and gives me time to react in any situation.
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnjoyRC wrote:
PinkFloydDudi wrote:

I did pretty much research before selecting this one. It is one of the lighter ones. Most are around 30 lbs. This one is only 15. And as per the LCD display, the Kronos could operate over an hour on the battery alone. About 50+ minutes for my Kronos, Virus and MOTU together.

Kronos advertises to draw 60W, but it's really only about 45W. The Virus is advertised to draw 18W and only draws about half that on average.

For me as a gigging musician - weight of equipment is extremely important! (one of my main reasons for wanting to replace my 88 key triton!!). So the 15lbs is absolutely appreciated!! (And my roadie will thank you too!).

And wow at the length of time! Gotta figure if the power isn't back on in that amount of time, show is probably over anyway! Definitely making me lean towards getting one of these.

Do you keep it as a stand-alone piece? Put it in a rack somehow?

Great insight, again much appreciated.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:
Great poll. I notice quite a few of the major professionals in the keyboard scene using these and have thought about getting one myself even before the issue of having a keyboard that could be damaged by a power outage.

I currently use a power conditioner (EVERYONE should, heck they are like $20 for a Furman on craigslist or ebay).

With the kronos (which I will be using on stage), I'm very interested in getting one of these and for the one linked at $110, seems silly not to get one.

So yes, very interested in the results of this poll and thanks already to those linking good ones to check out.

Lol, you want also put the amp(s) / PA system on one UPS ... make sure you get a good one then.

I was thinking of buying the most simple UPS just to shut it down safely. Something like 60W for about 1 minute Wink

Of course after power comes up I still would need 2 minutes to start up.

michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For europeans (or dutch in my case):

http://www.ciao-shopping.nl/APC_SurgeArrest_Battery_Backup_325VA_UPS__330521

62 euros and 4 kg (that's about 9 lbs I think).

DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a hint of caution for everyone, I've been using a UPS on stage for quite a few years now (and will continue to do so with my K73 when it arrives) and discovered when researching which model to get that as well as an upper power draw limit, there is also a lower power draw limit... if your equipment doesn't draw enough power from your UPS, it might not switch in correctly when the power drops, so don't be tempted to get a big UPS (not that you would for gigging!) with plenty of spare capacity as it may not be suitable.
panrixx

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what size do you use or would recommend?

I was thinking of 230V/405watts/700VA
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that should be OK, I'm currently using a 650VA Trust UPS with an M3-88 and a Roland Fantom X7.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: