Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 88 build quality questions... end panels and body

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Kronos 88 build quality questions... end panels and body Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I currently use a Kurzweil PC3x as my main keyboard, and a Korg Triton Extreme 76 as my upper layer synth.

I have ordered a Kronos 88 to replace the Extreme, as I was blown away when I tried the demo version of the Kronos in the store I buy from.

The only disappointment for me was the Kronos' build quality. Anyone who has owned an Extreme 76 (or 61) will tell you that the end panels are made of thin plastic that can very easily crack. The M3 (73 and 88 at least) have amazing metal end panels, which look like they would be impossible to damage.

My question is: does the 88 note Kronos have plastic (shiny) end panels just like its smaller 61 and 73 note cousins? Are these panels hollow at the bottom (like the Extreme) or are they made of thick, tough plastic?

My second question, on the same theme, is... is the body (the main upper and rear panel) of the Kronos made of metal, like all the Korgs before it, or is it actually plastic with a metal finish? (The store 61 note model looked like metal but didn't feel cold to touch and I wondered if it was actually plastic...)

My Kronos will be gigging with me and I'd love feedback on these things from current owners - or any other feedback about the way it's built, especially in comparison to the M3 and Extreme before it.

Thanks guys!

Hope you're all enjoying your Kronoses (Kroni?) so far!

Cheers,
Mike
Flood

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 88 build quality questions... end panels and body Reply with quote

yeloop wrote:

My question is: does the 88 note Kronos have plastic (shiny) end panels just like its smaller 61 and 73 note cousins? Are these panels hollow at the bottom (like the Extreme) or are they made of thick, tough plastic?

Thin shiny plastic.

Quote:

My second question, on the same theme, is... is the body (the main upper and rear panel) of the Kronos made of metal, like all the Korgs before it, or is it actually plastic with a metal finish? (The store 61 note model looked like metal but didn't feel cold to touch and I wondered if it was actually plastic...)

It's metal all around except the bottom which looks like plywood or particle board or something.
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its not thin plastic. it just covers the end. it is not hollow like the triton extreme which i own (now own kronos)

dont worry. its sturdy.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
shap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you're really worried about those end caps, go out and by some carbon fiber sheet and build yourself some new ones... Smile
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
robinkle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess 73 got the same end caps? If so, mine feels sturdy and hard. But it's shiny surface might make it easy to see if there is cosmetic damage.
shap

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen a 73, but the end caps on the 61 and the 88 are the same.
Sonar Producer, everything EastWest
Brian Moore iGuitar+Roland GI-20, Composite Acoustics 6, 12 string guitars, Multiple Ovations from when they were still worth it
Presonus Eureka (2x), TC Helicon VoiceOne
ADAM A7's and JBL 4328Ps, each for its purpose
Border Collies + Misc. Squeaky Toys
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shap wrote:
I haven't seen a 73, but the end caps on the 61 and the 88 are the same.

I can't think of a reason why the end caps of a 73 should be different.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: