Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions from Finland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: First impressions from Finland Reply with quote

The wait has been long in the northern parts of Europe... It has been a mental struggle to wait for my own 88-key version of Kronos while reading reports from other fresh owners who got their gear in the past few weeks. Last Friday Finland received it's first demo workstation, the 88-key version.Finally I'm one important step closer: to actually get to play one and form my own opinions. And in 6 weeks, I should be able to pick my own 88-key Kronos (and I'm at the top of the waiting list!).

Anyway, my main aim was to make sure, if the Kronos was worth the wait. I've always been a Yamaha fan, and before I heard of the Kronos (as late as May), I was ready to invest in a 88-key Motif XF.

Anyway, after playing for 2 hours straight, here are my thoughts:

After finding a chair and sitting in front of the Kronos, I understood some of the hype. The 88-key version was visually beautiful to look at. Stylish, with it's brushed, dark grey metal and led-lights, the screen being crisp and clear. I loaded the German grand piano and played just one key with the pedal down. Wow... Absolutely no looping. The sound decays beautifully like no other digital piano I've ever played. It was even better than the Steinway I've played in East West's VST-instrument Goliath.

Then I started to play some Tori Amos: Cornflake Girl. I was astonished by the German Grand. Fantastic sound! My search for the perfect piano sound was finally over. And believe me, I've been searching for it for a long time, owning Yamaha and Roland stage pianos and even the GEM's Promega 1 in the past.

Then I tried the Japanese grand by playing some classical music, Beethovens's Moonlight Sonata. Ok, maybe the German Grand would have been better for this soft music, but I didn't care. Again, the sound was wonderfully realistic and I found myself playing the grands for about 30 minutes before moving on the the next sounds.

I usually don't use EPs or organs very much, so I'll just say they sounded really nice to my ears. The way you could alter the sound to fit your own needs seemed amazing. Does everybody really need this much tweak-ability? I guess if you're on the look for the perfect Rhodes/Hammond sound, you have to have access to the all sound parameters to match the sound you imagine to be perfect.

Then on to the acoustic sounds: many users have complained about the acoustic and electronic guitar sounds. I've tried the Motif XF next to the Kronos and honestly, I don't see much difference here. Both have great sounding guitars. Where the Yamaha might excel, is in the plethora of different articulations. In expert hands, the Yamaha may sound more realistic. But I really liked the sounds of Kronos as well, and there were even some nice extra clicks and string slides to fool the audience Smile

The orchestra sounds were very nice as well, especially the string-sections. I wish I had tried them out more, but time was sparse. All in all, there were some very average sounding patches in there as well, but from every major instrument sections I could always find a usable one. Some were even outstanding.

Well, then I tried the synth sounds. Lush pad sounds filled my ears. There were many "classic analogue" sounds, that were very adjustable and even some really fresh sounding patches as well, which reminded me of Spectrasonic's wonderful VST instrument Omnisphere. I really wanted to continue playing in the store for a longer time, but alas, they had to close. So instead of getting through all the sounds deeply and profound, I was forced to skim them through way too fast.

In the end I was leaving the store with a positive feeling. My main worries about the RH3-keybed and sounds in general were gone. The keybed was really nice to play (there were no clicks, or other abnormal observations) and in general the acoustic sounds were decent in my opinion. Many of my fears were gone, yet some persevered:

1. The fan. Yes, to some people this is no problem, but for me it just might be. In the store I couldn't here it from where I was playing, but the store had some ambient noise already present. I hope, that the noisiness of the fan is more a problem of the smaller Kronos-workstations, like the 61-key version. At least the biggest complaints have come from owners that own that version. Maybe the bigger case of a 88-key version has more air to move around, so the fan doesn't run as fast/noisy? I hope mine will be a quiet one, since I do acoustic recordings in my studio, about 2 meters away from the Kronos.

2. The good ol' data wheel. I must say, that this piece of plastic didn't seem to be in the right company. The Kronos is a very polished looking piece of equipment, and it astonishes me, why no one got to the idea of replacing this cheap looking wheel with a better one. Of course I didn't try to yank it off, but even turning the wheel made it "wobble" around it's own axis. It was clearly not completely straight, since one end was higher than the other. That was a turn off and I wish Korg would do something about the design.

3. The screen. I wish Kronos would have tilted it a bit towards the player, and made the fonts bigger. I have pretty good vision, but even for me it was sometimes hard to see the different texts. I found myself moving forwards to see the text better, and after 2 hours my back was getting a bit sore. Please, Korg, make an OS update to correct this as soon as possible. I can imagine, that people with poorer eyes will shy away from Kronos because of this.

4. I really wish Korg had extended the RAM memory to 4 Gb. Memory isn't that expensive anymore, and there ARE two memory slots already inside the machine. Why not take advantage of it? You could build a mighty software biosphere around the Kronos: new sound libraries (especially to replace some of the weaker sounds, like horns) to be downloaded and played for a reasonable fee. Yamaha's motivation-webportal has really done this part well. I hope Korg will do something similar soon. Anyway, the extra memory would raise more interest in Kronos users to buy these libraries. Now they must make silly decisions whether to load all of the HD1-samples or not.

Okay, that's it. Now I'm just waiting for my own Kronos and hoping that the build quality is ok (very little/none fan noise and that the keys and data wheel are fine). I must admit, that after the great (almost Apple-like) hype I felt skeptical. Could this piece of gear be as good and revolutionary as everyone is talking about? How is it, that people are willing to pay in advance when reserving their own Kronos without ever trying it out themselves first? It boggled my mind. But now, I have faith. I believe that in 6 weeks I'll be a happy owner of one of the most powerful and inspirational synthesizers ever made. And I wish to be having many interesting discussions with the people here at Korg Forums Smile
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice review!

I'm going to listen to a Kronos out in the Netherlands on Saturday.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Neko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tervetuloa Kim

I'm getting mine this week. It's the 61 keys, i tried it in the shop but didn't pay attention to the fan. Hope it won't be "that" noisy.

I was surprised by the whell also, it looks damn cheap for a keyboard like that, but I really needed to get rid of my M3. I'm more interested in the new features than the sounds (sst and set list mainly).

Anyway i guess kronos from Suomi might sound better than anywhere else Laughing
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Nice review!

I'm going to listen to a Kronos out in the Netherlands on Saturday.

Thanks mate! I don't know if I could call it a review, since I had only 2 hours to play the Kronos. I guess it was more like a quick skim. However, after watching hours of different demos and even the video tutorials for Kronos, it felt like I already knew many of the machine's capabilities Smile

I hope your expectations will be met or even surpassed as well!
Kim

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neko wrote:
Tervetuloa Kim

I'm getting mine this week. It's the 61 keys, i tried it in the shop but didn't pay attention to the fan. Hope it won't be "that" noisy.

I was surprised by the whell also, it looks damn cheap for a keyboard like that, but I really needed to get rid of my M3. I'm more interested in the new features than the sounds (sst and set list mainly).

Anyway i guess kronos from Suomi might sound better than anywhere else Laughing

Kiitos Neko! (wow, never expected to be greeted in Finnish!)

I parted with my Yamaha P-120, which I really loved for the keybed and piano sounds. But the separation won't feel as bad now that I know I'm getting the best digital grand out there, plus a great deal more interesting sounds to play with. I'm looking forward to tweak the analogue sounds, combining them with samples and do some really nasty stuff with the waveforms Very Happy

With a small amount of envy I'm wishing you all the best with your future keyboard! Smile

I'll still counting the days... Luckily, I have 3 weeks of holidays in between to keep my mind occupied. And imagine if I got my Kronos during the holidays: That would seriously endanger my marriage, with me spending hours and hours at my studio playing with my new "toy" Very Happy
dregsor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kim,

Quote:
My main worries about the RH3-keybed and sounds in general were gone. The keybed was really nice to play (there were no clicks, or other abnormal observations)

Since you had a XF right there, how would you compare the two key beds. I personally love the XF weighted key bed. If the Kronos is anywhere near that quality, I will be very happy.
Kim

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dregsor wrote:
Hi Kim,

Quote:
My main worries about the RH3-keybed and sounds in general were gone. The keybed was really nice to play (there were no clicks, or other abnormal observations)

Since you had a XF right there, how would you compare the two key beds. I personally love the XF weighted key bed. If the Kronos is anywhere near that quality, I will be very happy.

I personally love the Yamaha touch. When I bought my P-120, I had tried many other keybeds as well, including Roland, Kurzweil and Kawai stage pianos. But I always liked the robust, slightly heavy but wonderfully controllable keys. So when I tried the RH3-keybed on another Korg digital piano, the sp-250, I was disappointed. The keybed felt bouncy and made clicking sounds.

But the Kronos is different, thank God. The strange clicking sounds were gone, and the action felt a little stiffer. Someone here at the forum said, that Korg made slight modifications for the Kronos RH3-keybed and I bet that was making the difference. The keys aren't as heavy as a Yamaha Motif XF, but not as bouncy as, say a Roland RD700NX. Actually I very much liked the Kronos touch, although the action is a tad bouncier then the Yamaha. I guess it's a matter of taste, but I can see myself playing the Kronos with ease. Otherwise, I had never sold my Yamaha P-120 and thought of using the 88 Kronos as my main studio controller/workstation.

I'd like to hear your opinion as well!
dregsor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd like to hear your opinion as well!

Thanks for the review. My local store only has the 61 in stock so I haven't ventured down yet. I'm hoping to get on that in the next week or so. I have spent a good deal of time on the XF and really like it. I would own it now if it weren't for the Kronos coming out.

As soon as I can lay my hands on a 73 or 88 I'll get back here and let you know what I think about the keybed. But that may well be mid August as the local GC does not expect any new stock until then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: