Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SGX-1 Piano "wah" sound

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: SGX-1 Piano "wah" sound Reply with quote

Hi all,

The following occurs no matter what SGX-1 piano I try:

If I play extremely pianissimo, i.e, very VERY light touch for extremely soft phrases, I get a sort of "wah" effect. In addition, there is a t times a sort of "pad" attack - meaning no hammer hitting the harp attack. I have done zero editing on Kronos so everything is still as it was from the factory.

I am controlling the Kronos from an XV-88 so I thought perhaps the Kronos might have been receiving strange MIDI info, so, I tried the same very soft touch on Kronos and the same wah effect/slow attack occurs.

This is rather frustrating as I want to be able to rely on the SGX-1 pianos; they are BEAUTIFUL. This problem ONLY occurs with SGX-1. The other 8 engines are wonderful. For the time being, I still have to rely on the Fantom X8's UltimateGrand patch but my ears rebel at the difference in quality. [N.B. To be fair I realize that the X8 piano is a looped mulitsampled piano from 2004, so I am not making a comparison to slam an older instrument]

Any ideas as to why this strange and always replicable effect is happening?

Thanks all!

Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the wah effect can happen from double triggering. Like when i plug my kronos into logic,it sends notes, then logic sends it back, then i get clashing notes that just sound wrong.

make sure your roland isnt playing its piano too... and try unplugging midi cables.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try that robinhood thank you. I have never encountered such a problem and again, it is ONLY the SGX-1 engine.

I will report back to all.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
vstkeys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha Roland ultimate Grand sounds like a sweeing machine. No bashing intended either Lol
It is obvious roland compressed the hell out of that 88- 4 layers sampled piano in order to fit in a few megabites.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vstkeys wrote:
haha Roland ultimate Grand sounds like a sweeing machine. No bashing intended either Lol
It is obvious roland compressed the hell out of that 88- 4 layers sampled piano in order to fit in a few megabites.

Yet at the time - 2004 - it was an excellent piano. The point I was trying to make was that I need to rely on IT until I can figure out this bizarre issue with SGX-1.

Note to self: never mention another piece of gear when asking for help.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't confirm from playing directly at the Kronos.
Have you cross checked this directly at your Kronos?

At least then you can be sure that the problem has nothing to do with the Kronos sound, but with the way of external triggering which you use.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,

It is definitely in the Kronos. I followed robinnhood's advice and disconnect MIDI cables, restarted Kronos, and the wah effect still occurs. I am thinking that since SGX-1 streams from the SSD that the problem could be the SSD. Everything else works beautifully.

What I have found is that if I switch to another program in the setlist then BACK to SGX-1 pianos, the wah effect ceases though. Needless to say, I am mystified by this.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: