Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

For those that still have some doubts (JP 80)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> So. what is as small?

I thought you played the Jupiter? I did. That photo you show is like a watch dial. Things look bigger when blown up. When I was editing the Jupiter there were small icons on the screen too.

I played the Jupiter 4 times at 3 different stores. I'm not saying it's not a nice keyboard.

>I love my Gaia. Not because it's very powerful and versatile, but because it's a sheer joy to play & program.

I had fun playing the Gaia too. Remember it was just a little while ago that I was being bashed for saying that I like synths with controls?

I understand that the dial is important to a lot of people. For me, I turn it and it works. Maybe if it fell off I would feel differently about it.

This whole episode reminds me of how I used to feel when working in the software business. Never mind that our software did 99% more than anyone else. I still got people that focused in on the 1% and made it seem like the product was completely useless due to that 1%.

Whatever.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I played the JP-80 3 times but didn't feel that fonts and tabs, etc. were microscopic. I haven't tested the JP-80 and the Kronos side by side, so I don't know my perception is due to (1) the angled display of the JP, (2) the color scheme used in the JP's screen, or (3) the actual size difference.

Anyway, I like the JP-80 but its structure is confusing (partial, tone, live set & registration). In the VA section, each partial seems like a separate patch to me. I wish it were 16 part multi-timbral.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chriskk wrote:
Yes, I played the JP-80 3 times but didn't feel that fonts and tabs, etc. were microscopic. I haven't tested the JP-80 and the Kronos side by side, so I don't know my perception is due to (1) the angled display of the JP, (2) the color scheme used in the JP's screen, or (3) the actual size difference.

Anyway, I like the JP-80 but its structure is confusing (partial, tone, live set & registration). In the VA section, each partial seems like a separate patch to me. I wish it were 16 part multi-timbral.

Trust your perception because I can tell you that sitting in front of both, there is no doubt that the Roland interface works more smoothly and that everything is very easy to see compared to the Kronos. But hey, what do I know.

The structure is actually not that hard to understand. There is just a lot of layering possible. Each set consists of 4 sections that can be split, layered, etc. Within a main section, there are 4 tones that can be layered to make that section. For synths, each tone is made of 3 partials. The SOS reviewer summarizes the structure:

Each "tone" is made of 3 partials, each of which is it's own synth

Each partial has 8 oscillator types. 6 of those are analog types and have 3 variants each with programmable pulse width and PWM. The 7th is a Super Saw which also has prgrammable depth. The 8th allows you to choose from 380 PCMs.

Dedicated AD pitch envelope.
Ring modulator between partial 1 and 2.
Wave shaper that can act on any of the resulting sounds.
Multimode filter (low pass, high pass, band pass and peaking) with 12dB and 24dB oct. slopes.
2 LFOs, one for conventional duties and one dedicate to modulation joystick.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:

This whole episode reminds me of how I used to feel when working in the software business. Never mind that our software did 99% more than anyone else. I still got people that focused in on the 1% and made it seem like the product was completely useless due to that 1%.

Whatever.

I think you are exaggerating what is being said here. Furthermore, sometimes less is more and don't forget quality over quantity.
Chriskk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bruce for clarification.

1 tone = 3 partials, each of which is essentially a separate "patch." That's similar to the Gaia's structure. I haven't paid too much attention to the VA structure. I'll examine the VA section more deeply next time.

BTW, synths are cheap compared with classic instruments. I just bought a $22,000 violin for my 2nd son (ouch!). Now I need to buy him a better bow.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 shots related to synth edits, effects and layering:

http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i24/sleestack666/Jupiter%2080/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: