Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

STS and Sustain Pedal--not working consistently
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
So i just wanna ask....

IS there a workaround? Or is this really a bug bug? please lemme know!

I'm not sure what answer you are looking for. Yes, it's a bug in that it doesn't work correctly in this case. The case is:

1. Select a combi slot in a set list. Play a note and hold it.
2. Select a second combi slot. The note does not cut-off (SST). Good. Continue holding the first note, play a second note with the new combi and hold.
3. Select a third combi slot. The note from the first combi cuts off (per spec). The note from the second combi continues, per spec (SST).
4. Play a third note, and hold it. You will now have a note from the last combi sustaining, and a note from the new combi sustaining (two notes).
5. Select a program slot. Both notes will shut off. But only one of them should have shut off, according to spec (the one from the combi once-removed). The note from the last slot selected should sustain. But it didn't, and that is the bug.

The reason you ran into this in the first place is stepping through slot changes with the foot pedal quickly.

You are holding notes over two "changes", when only one is supported by SST. But as illustrated by the above example, when "chaining" these changes, a switch to a program slot should not silence the previous slot's held notes, if others are sustaining from an even more previous slot.

If that gives you a headache thinking about it, well - that's what we deal with every day here. Wink

Workaround? Make it a combi, as Dan suggested earlier. Doesn't seem to happen it that case (although I really think that is more related to MIDI channel issues).

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

Workaround? Make it a combi, as Dan suggested earlier. Doesn't seem to happen it that case (although I really think that is more related to MIDI channel issues).

Well as Dan also said, he (and i assume you) are running a different version of the OS. When i use three combis in a row, i still run into the problem. Unless there is something in the karma module preventing it from working? All I know is that SST only works 100% properly in fast changes in a prog prog prog configuration.

So please, I dont know if the fact that you guys are running a different OS makes a difference, but using three combis really aint helping me. This is why i was wondering if my kronos is defective. Though i doubt it is. Please let me know!

Even if it involves digging into karma and changing some "thru" parameters i wanna try anything...

thanks again

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
1. Select a combi slot in a set list. Play a note and hold it.
2. Select a second combi slot. The note does not cut-off (SST). Good. Continue holding the first note, play a second note with the new combi and hold.
3. Select a third combi slot. The note from the first combi cuts off (per spec). The note from the second combi continues, per spec (SST).
4. Play a third note, and hold it. You will now have a note from the last combi sustaining, and a note from the new combi sustaining (two notes).
5. Select a program slot. Both notes will shut off. But only one of them should have shut off, according to spec (the one from the combi once-removed). The note from the last slot selected should sustain. But it didn't, and that is the bug.

just so you know this only worked for me when doing it with programs. not combinations.

Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
When i use three combis in a row, i still run into the problem. Unless there is something in the karma module preventing it from working?

That might happen depending on the MIDI Channel settings in the KARMA GE Setup page, for the 4 modules. Are the MIDI Channel input/output settings the same in all of the combis you are switching between?

EDIT: And what version of the OS do you have? Sorry if you mentioned it in here somewhere already....

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
robbinhood wrote:
When i use three combis in a row, i still run into the problem. Unless there is something in the karma module preventing it from working?

That might happen depending on the MIDI Channel settings in the KARMA GE Setup page, for the 4 modules. Are the MIDI Channel input/output settings the same in all of the combis you are switching between?

EDIT: And what version of the OS do you have? Sorry if you mentioned it in here somewhere already....

and i have not touched anything in karma when making any of these combis (all are custom)

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
robbinhood wrote:

and i have not touched anything in karma when making any of these combis (all are custom)

Sorry, at this point I'm completely confused as to what your current issue is.

Dan filed a bug report identifying your problem, in our database. I fixed the issue, according to Dan's method of reproducing it, which I identified above. Now you're making it sound like you have a different issue.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
robbinhood wrote:
StephenKay wrote:
robbinhood wrote:

Sorry, at this point I'm completely confused as to what your current issue is.

Dan filed a bug report identifying your problem, in our database. I fixed the issue, according to Dan's method of reproducing it, which I identified above. Now you're making it sound like you have a different issue.

oh let me try to explain it the best i can.

Setlist mode... the place where i run into this issue the most is on my set list called Treacherous Gods (cover song). there is a part where the set list goes
Combi (for about 5 seconds using chords) > Program (for about 3 seconds) playing no chords just melodies > and then the same combi as the first slot (though it makes no difference whether its a different combi or not..)

so... I am playing slot 1.... i press my pedal to get to slot two, SST.... good! Then i let go of the note that is playing slot ones combi and begin playing on slot two's program, and when i hold a note and press my pedal, it will go into its release phase.

It will not do that in a program program program configuration, only in order of combis and programs mixed. its important to recognize this doesnt happen if im playing chords on the second slot. and the melodies will work if i play it for an extended amount of time.

This is what im encountering. if you have any questions feel free to ask... At this point ive been told I am experiencing a software bug and not to return my kronos. Now my 14 days from guitar center are up! Now I need to know if i should fork up that 350$ restocking fee.

Dan aparently ran into my described issue, however he had a work around with using slots two PROGRAM and just making it into a COMBI. this however still does not work with my kronos.

Thanks

Lemme know if you want my latest verson of PCG, i will gladly send it

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbinhood wrote:
It will not do that in a program program program configuration, only in order of combis and programs mixed. its important to recognize this doesnt happen if im playing chords on the second slot. and the melodies will work if i play it for an extended amount of time.

OK - I get that. That is what I fixed. It was a problem mixing combis and programs, in a set list. However, I do not understand why, if you made a combi out of that program, so that you are switching between 3 combi slots - and they all have the default MIDI channel setup in the KARMA GE Setup page - that it will not work. If you have a file where you have made it into a combi, and you are still having the issue switching between the 3 combi only slots, please send it to me at support AT karma-lab.com, with instructions on how to reproduce the issue, with which slots in the set list.

There is nothing wrong with your Kronos. This is a simple software issue. Thanks.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
robbinhood wrote:

OK - I get that. That is what I fixed. It was a problem mixing combis and programs, in a set list. However, I do not understand why, if you made a combi out of that program, so that you are switching between 3 combi slots - and they all have the default MIDI channel setup in the KARMA GE Setup page - that it will not work. If you have a file where you have made it into a combi, and you are still having the issue switching between the 3 combi only slots, please send it to me at support AT karma-lab.com, with instructions on how to reproduce the issue, with which slots in the set list.

There is nothing wrong with your Kronos. This is a simple software issue. Thanks.

thanks. i will put this together right now.

StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just emailed you, but I'll post this here as well to "wrap this up". Smile

Regardless of your instructions, I was unable to locate a set list slot in the treacherous set list containing the strings program as a combi. Maybe you forgot to store it or something. Slots 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 are all the strings *program*.

However, I made my own combi and stuck it in a slot, and you're right - it still cuts off. Turns out that's because the v1.0.4 OS has an older version of the KARMA Engine than the one Dan and I are testing. So the reason it doesn't cut-off combi to combi (on the *second* SST) for me and Dan is that I already fixed something related to that awhile ago, but it isn't in 1.0.4.

But in any case, with my new fix to the code, and the previous one, it doesn't cut off in either the combi or the program case. It is fixed.

The only "trick" you can use to get around this for now is this: I reproduced your problem exactly based on the video you uploaded for me. What causes this issue to happen, in your case, is that when you play the final chord of the Treacherous Split and hold it, then do program up with the foot switch, you don't release all of the notes before playing the first string program note - it overlaps the notes of the brass chord. You then play all the string notes legato with no space between them, hold two of them and do another program up - and they cut off. This is the particular situation that influences the bug in this case - the two SSTs are "chained together". If you concentrate on releasing the chord such that there is a tiny amount of space before the first string note, the issue will not happen. Hope that helps.

Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already emailed you back, but thank you very much! i feel very good now and can get back to playing!

You are a wizard good sir!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: