Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Distortion via USB and SPDIF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
arapahoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:25 am    Post subject: Distortion via USB and SPDIF Reply with quote

I have a k88 and am using a USB connection to my Mac laptop, my audio interface is a motu 828 mk 2.

On the Mac I'm using cubase 6 in 64 bit.

The motu is set to 48k

Cubase project is set to 48k

When I play the Kronos into cubase it works for random amount of time and then I get distortion. It may happen after 5 min or 30 min???

On the Kronos global clock is set to internal and on the motu I can set it to Kronos or internal or anything and it doesn't matter I still get the same result... Distortion.

Has anybody made this combo work and hoe did you do it. By the way it also happens when I hook up the SPDIF connection to the motu as well. I'm trying to decide if the Kronos is broken and I need to take it back,... Help!!!
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please try and be more clear about the problem. You speak of midi and audio distortion as if it were one, it's not.. Then you mention s/pdif?
Are you trying to get audio and midi over usb or are you trying to connect s/pdif for audio? How are you using the Motu?
MartinHines
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding a S/DIF connection, which device do you have set as the Master digital/word clock?

If your MOTU is the master, I believe
-- In MOTU 828 Audio Console, set Optical Output to S/PDIF (may be called TOSLINK)
-- In MOTU828 Audio Console, set Optical Input to S/PDIF (may be called TOSLINK)
-- In MOTU 828 Audio Console, set Sampling Rate to 48k

-- In Cubase set Sampling Rate to 48k
-- In Cubase, set digital clock (or whatever it is called) to the MOTU 828

-- In Kronos, Global P0: Basic Setup, 0-1d: System Preference, set System Clock to S/PDIF.

In the Kronos Parameter Guide pg. 746:
Quote:

S/P DIF: The KRONOS will use the S/P DIF IN as the master clock.

Finally, one key element you are missing are you need TWO S/PDIF cables:
-- Kronos S/PDIF Out to Motu Optical IN (carries the Kronos stereo digital audio signal to 828 and your computer)
-- 828 Optical OUT to Kronos S/DIF In (carries the 828 digital clock signal to Kronos).

Lastly, if you have a problem that you can't solve on the forum, don't hesistate to call/phone Korg USA Product Support. That is what they are there for.

Korg USA Product support -- https://www.korgusa.com/contactus (For fastest service I would suggest calling them on the phone)

Outside the U.S. contact your Korg Country Distributor -- https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/distributors/

Last edited by MartinHines on Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martins instructions are spot on..
He posted this to me over a month ago and I can confirm and have been enjoying Digital Kronos without a hiccup. Works flawlessly all the time.
Take your time and follow the above. I'm sure your Kronos is working just fine. It's very easy to mismatch connections.
arapahoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! Really great info, and I will give it a go. I really just wanted the USB cable to work sending audio to my Mac...

Thanks again!

Arapahoe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: