Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mod-7 w/DX programs and Macros

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Mod-7 w/DX programs and Macros Reply with quote

Everyone check out the macro parameters in the Mod-7. I love the intuitive way they work!!!! What I like to do is layer Rhodes+FM ep. I do it will all of my keyboards and the Kronos makes it real easy. First off, you can get the exact programs from the DX7 original bank - then use either macros to brighten them up, or just edit the oscillator bank - really easy!!!!

Then pan the Rhodes slightly left and the FM right. Then use the O-Verb and Stereo Chorus IFX.

Go the extra mile and assign the control surface to Rhodes level and EXi2 Macro Brightness.

Just intuitive and nice sounds!!!!!! The more I get into modifying sounds, the more smart things I find. It's going to be difficult to program any other keyboard after this. Just amazing control.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Mod-7 w/DX programs and Macros Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Everyone check out the macro parameters in the Mod-7. I love the intuitive way they work!!!! What I like to do is layer Rhodes+FM ep. I do it will all of my keyboards and the Kronos makes it real easy. First off, you can get the exact programs from the DX7 original bank - then use either macros to brighten them up, or just edit the oscillator bank - really easy!!!!

Then pan the Rhodes slightly left and the FM right. Then use the O-Verb and Stereo Chorus IFX.

Go the extra mile and assign the control surface to Rhodes level and EXi2 Macro Brightness.

Just intuitive and nice sounds!!!!!! The more I get into modifying sounds, the more smart things I find. It's going to be difficult to program any other keyboard after this. Just amazing control.

That's great to read! I'm glad that you're enjoying it.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan,

This keyboard is fantastic. I can use a lot of the techniques that I have learned over the years on it. All the major pieces are here: FM, Sampling, PCM, Analog. The control over parameters is so easy to use.

Uh, please add IFX FX off/on to the switch list in the control surface - cause you know I want to add Flanger->Overdrive->Delay and switch them on/off in real time!

If you are able, in the future, to add the mute to combinations without using polyphony, that would just send it over the top.
danatkorg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aron wrote:
Dan,

This keyboard is fantastic. I can use a lot of the techniques that I have learned over the years on it. All the major pieces are here: FM, Sampling, PCM, Analog. The control over parameters is so easy to use.

Uh, please add IFX FX off/on to the switch list in the control surface - cause you know I want to add Flanger->Overdrive->Delay and switch them on/off in real time!

If you are able, in the future, to add the mute to combinations without using polyphony, that would just send it over the top.

I agree, both of those would be useful.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
analogaddict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...as would be the possibility to load DX7II sysex..! IMHO, the DX didn't really 'mature' until the DX7II, those presets are very nice! Is there a specific reason why those can't be loaded right now?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

analogaddict wrote:
...as would be the possibility to load DX7II sysex..! IMHO, the DX didn't really 'mature' until the DX7II, those presets are very nice! Is there a specific reason why those can't be loaded right now?

Sounds like a misunderstanding; DX7II uses the same sysex format as the DX7 for the Program data, as noted in the MOD-7 manual. You just need to make sure that the .SYX file is stored properly, without other sysex messages in front of the Program data.

- Dan
analogaddict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... That makes sense, but is still a bit troublesome... I have 4x32 patches from a DX7II, they worked like a charm in my FS1r and my Nord G2. Do you know if there is any way to 'clean up' a sysex file?
danatkorg

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

analogaddict wrote:
Hmm... That makes sense, but is still a bit troublesome... I have 4x32 patches from a DX7II, they worked like a charm in my FS1r and my Nord G2. Do you know if there is any way to 'clean up' a sysex file?

They're just raw hex files, so if you're comfortable in a hex editor it's simple.

Another, probably easier option is to load the file into a sequencer, remove all but the desired dump, save the result as a Standard MIDI File, and convert that back to an .syx file.

Some tools may assist with parts of this:

Hex editors
SysExLibrarian for Mac OSX
MIDIOX for Windows
analogaddict

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! Very helpful advise. I've had my Kronos a week and a half now, and the more I work with it, the bigger the smile on my face gets. It's truly an amazing synth, incredibly versatile and great sounding. Thanks for going all in and making such a powerful instrument, the Kronos has already changed the way I work by replacing my entire rack and thus speeding up the workflow - while also increasing my realtime control options..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: