Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Boot Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave it running for the whole week. I leave my M3 on from Monday morning to Sunday night.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakil wrote:
Just leave it running for the whole week. I leave my M3 on from Monday morning to Sunday night.
Why do you switch it off between Sunday night and Monday morning? Laughing
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:

You don't want to know that.

Really don't.

God knows what happens on sunday nights in his corner of the woods.

Especially when moon is full.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
orpheus2006 wrote:

You don't want to know that.
No, not really. Laughing
On the other hand, I'm a spy from Germany. Wink
Korg M3-88 w/ EXB-Radias, Yamaha Motif Rack w/ PLG150-AN & PLG150-DR, Novation A-Station, RME Multiface II Audio Interface, Thinkpad T60 Notebook w/ Sonar X3 and various VSTi, Event TR8 monitors, Beyerdynamic DT-770 headphones
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
I'm a spy from Germany

which kind? there are many:

a) Hitchcock-style: large hat, trenchcoat, steel eyes, quietly sadistic, very interested in dams and power utilities. Smokes cigarettes, drinks only distilled water.

b) ken follet style: less quietly sadistic, bordering on the agitated. kills old english grandmas with little knives. Drinks undistilled water, no smoke.

c) john wayne + burt lancaster style: smokes, drinks and has many french lovers. parachutes behing Allied lines, breaks a leg while falling from a roof. kills himself rather than surrendering what he doesn't know to an American colonel who friendly lends him his gun for committing suicide.

before that, they drinkl some schnapp together.

d) new European movies style: drinks a lot of schnapps, watches soccer on TV in a small grey partment, remembers the good old times of stasi when a kilo of potatoes costed less than now in capitalist new germany, is somehow a good chap.

e) ludlum style: was a nazi, now works for the Israeli government who blackmails him, but betrays them on behalf of a right-wing conspiracy within the Israeli consulate in Zurich and at the same time double-crosses the right wing conspiracy on behalf of a left-wing conspiracy within the CIA. Loses tracks of his own intricacies, gets headache, drinks schnapps.

f) le carre style: the movie is about Cold War, everybody is Russian or British, but somehow the bad guy is a German.
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
which kind? there are many:

You don't expect that I backstab myself.

Really don't.

God knows what kind of spy I am.

Just a hint: I smoke French cigarettes, but don't drink wine. I'm quietly sadistic, but don't wear a hat. I watch soccer on TV, but not in a small grey room. I don't kill english grandmas and don't eat kids, but love power utilities. I don't work for governments, but sometimes remember the good old times. I'm somehow a good chap, but you never know. I'd love to watch Shakil turning off his M3 at Sunday night, but not at full moon. Wink
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now boot times are kinda long because there is a paradigm shift in the way keyboards are made/programmed. They're becoming essentially embedded softsynths.

Before I would assume there was a LOT more assembly code involved. Now that the hardware can hack it, manufacturers have more freedom to develop the platform in a traditional programming sense with high(er) level languages. There are advantages and pitfalls to each, what and to whom (User vs. Mfgr) are up for debate.

Because the functionality is exceeding what we've seen before as the norm, we accept the longer boot times needed.

As commodity processors get cheaper, the boot times will go back down eventually. This is of course assuming they don't continually push the envelope. The OASYS was an example of "What can be done" and the Kronos is one of "Now it's cheap enough to do it!" This isn't to say there isn't road left to travel, but it kinda marks the end of the standard "Rompler" workstation being sufficient. So all considered I can live with 1 minute (I mean seriously folks) boot time. I know my keyboard sits on the stand for more than 1 minute while I continue to setup and I can keep an idea in my head for 1 minute!
jmexio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NuSkoolTone wrote:
So all considered I can live with 1 minute (I mean seriously folks) boot time. I know my keyboard sits on the stand for more than 1 minute while I continue to setup and I can keep an idea in my head for 1 minute!

Actually, the first thing that I do when I enter my (modest home) studio is to boot the M3, and then I go about basic stuff like leaving my stuff around, taking the coat off, whatever. I never have to wait for it to finish booting. Then I leave it on for the whole day, even if I relax, or go out for a while.

The only issue would be if this happens in the middle of a performance... I don't think it is catastrophic either, I can manage an audience for 2 minutes while the keyboard boots again Very Happy

Cheers,
Juan Miguel
ozy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

orpheus2006 wrote:
I love power utilities

You ARE sick! Shocked

You probably REALLY are a spy!

Only way I could "love" a power utility, is if their CEO performed harakiri with my letter opener just after I opened my electricity bill...
orpheus2006
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ozy wrote:
orpheus2006 wrote:
I love power utilities

You ARE sick! Shocked

Be careful what you say Twisted Evil and don't be limited in your thinking!

I didn't say "electricity power utilities", but rather thought of the power utilities a modern spy is using in the 21st century (including but not limited to spyware).
Don't ask for the utilities I use. It's a secret, of course! Liar

(another episode in the series "how to find out what Shakil is doing between Sunday night and Monday morning") d'oh! Laughing
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it happened... outdoor backyard gig on a sweltering day, the band tripped a circuit breaker or something in the house and everything shut down. The homeowner moved us to another outlet and everyone was back up instantly, except my Kronos. That would have been a deadly extra couple of minutes, except my other keyboard (Yamaha MOX) was available in seconds. Ya' gotta have at least one keyboard that works right away!

Okay, a UPS would have done the trick too. Personally, I'd rather travel with a second board, for a wide range of reasons (weighted and unweighted actions, instant access to more sounds with less button pushing or being limited to pre-arranged splits, no problem with hands crossing parts, backup for any emergency...)

and if you just want to travel super-light, a Korg Microstation even weighs less than a UPS!
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:
a Korg Microstation even weighs less than a UPS!

Yes....#1 problem with the UPS idea for live performance is the weight and bulk!

FWIW...Kronos boots faster than my Fantom G. But a while back Roland added a set of key presses which lets you boot Fantom G in about 30 seconds or less (a "safe" boot....without all of the project settings and samples). So in an emergency, it will get you to the default factory programs. I wish they would do something similar on Kronos. I don't mind the 2 minute boot time in the studio....but Live....its just damn scary, and you are really defenseless to it....unless as you say, you have a second keyboard....which is kinda ridiculous.
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't want a UPS as much as you want a VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Most times they are one in the same. The VR will ensure you get constant power when voltage drops and also will protect from voltage spikes.

I would nor recommend leaving your keyboard powered up all the time; not only will the screen burn, but power companies do some fancy power tricks at night during the summer and will also do rolling brownouts. This could wreak havoc on keyboard power supplies.

As a matter of fact, living in Florida I keep my keyboards UNPLUGGED when not in use to protect from lightning strikes/surges.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kbrkr wrote:
You don't want a UPS as much as you want a VOLTAGE REGULATOR.

Umm...the issue was regarding a power outage in a live gig.

But your points are well taken overall.

Smile
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: