Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pads options for the Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gargamel314
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:04 am    Post subject: Pads options for the Kronos Reply with quote

I'm sitting here sequencing guitar parts for a song ... and i'm wondering how in the world i'm every going to get by without the velo sensitive pads on the M3. call me spoiled.

I was thinking... the korg nano-control pads, are they pretty much the same thing as the m3's pads? can you plug them into the Kronos, or do you have to plug them into your computer and route them to the Kronos? is there anything that would be better to use?
Teh Mick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, the nanoPAD won't work with Kronos. It would require Korg to drive a Linux driver for the nanoPAD. Let's hope they will add support for it in an update.
Roland JD-990
Novation Remote SL Compact
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, unless Korg adds a Linux MIDI Driver for direct plug-in USB type pad devices, it won't work directly. You may be able to route it internally in the computer. Also, any of the larger pad control devices that have actual MIDI out jacks would be able to be plugged into the Kronos directly.

felsineus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the novice's question: can a midi pedal board completely substitute the pad-section, doing all the work?
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

felsineus wrote:
Sorry for the novice's question: can a midi pedal board completely substitute the pad-section, doing all the work?

Yes, provided the pedal-board can send the correct messages.

Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope to use my NI Maschine to link with the Kronos as the pads on that are superb.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any of the AKAI Controllers should work. Let me give my one a try with the OASYS and I'll report back.

Regards
Sharp.
DaveBoulden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't the nano controllers "class compliant"? My nanoKey works on my SMPro Audio V-Machine without needing to add any drivers, which would at least suggest they should work with Linux's built-in drivers... it might make it a little bit easier for Korg to add this in a future update ("possibly" just enabling the drivers within the Linux kernel in the Kronos OS), and would look good that the Kronos supported Korg's own mini controllers.
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried the "screen pads" of the Kronos yet? How is it tapping up and up and down on the screen to change velocity?
jimknopf
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screen is simply not good for that purpose IMHO, judging from the hours I tested the Kronos: not at all as responsive as something like an ipodtouch or ipad screen, and rather serving for entering values without getting unwanted changes.
dg-keys

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

I just figured out how you can trigger the virtual Kronos pads and get it work like the Korg OASYS. It's very easy!

In Global mode on Page "Controller/Scales) you see the 8 Pads at the lowest line of the display. Here you can set the receive cc's for the virtual pads.
The cc's 110-117 are reserved for the pads only and are not used for any other controller in the Kronos. So you can be shure that you only trigger the pads and no other functions.
Select the ccs for all pads (from 110-117) and that's all you need to do on the Kronos.

Now you have to buy the right midi-pad. The Korg NanoPads aren't work with the Kronos this time but regular midi equipment works fine!
I found the "Vestax Pad-One" USB/MIDI pads on the internet. This thing needs NO software to program the cc's for each pad/controller.
All you need to do with it is to program the cc's 110-117 to 8 pads and you are ready to go with real pads like on the OASYS.

I tried it with the OASYS pads and it works very well! The pads work like a simple remote controller in every mode (program, setlist, comi, seq) and when you change a program or a combi your pads have always the right controllers/chord witch are programed in your Combis/progs.

For the Vestax you don't need a power pack. You can use the Kronos USB for powering. It has a mini-midi connector (with included adapter to normal midi connector) witch can be connected to the Kronos Midi IN.

Very simple and you don't have to wait for a NanoPad integration.

AND: you get lightning pads!

Best regards

Dan
www.danielgeist.de
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dg-keys wrote:
Hi there,

I just figured out how you can trigger the virtual Kronos pads and get it work like the Korg OASYS. It's very easy!

In Global mode on Page "Controller/Scales) you see the 8 Pads at the lowest line of the display. Here you can set the receive cc's for the virtual pads.
The cc's 110-117 are reserved for the pads only and are not used for any other controller in the Kronos. So you can be shure that you only trigger the pads and no other functions.
Select the ccs for all pads (from 110-117) and that's all you need to do on the Kronos.

Now you have to buy the right midi-pad. The Korg NanoPads aren't work with the Kronos this time but regular midi equipment works fine!
I found the "Vestax Pad-One" USB/MIDI pads on the internet. This thing needs NO software to program the cc's for each pad/controller.
All you need to do with it is to program the cc's 110-117 to 8 pads and you are ready to go with real pads like on the OASYS.

I tried it with the OASYS pads and it works very well! The pads work like a simple remote controller in every mode (program, setlist, comi, seq) and when you change a program or a combi your pads have always the right controllers/chord witch are programed in your Combis/progs.

For the Vestax you don't need a power pack. You can use the Kronos USB for powering. It has a mini-midi connector (with included adapter to normal midi connector) witch can be connected to the Kronos Midi IN.

Very simple and you don't have to wait for a NanoPad integration.

AND: you get lightning pads!

Best regards

Dan
www.danielgeist.de

that looks like a good and simple solution.

I was considering a foot controller ( Behringer FCB 1010 or Roland equivalent).

The Vestax looks easy to manage, thanks.
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the padKontrol. Works great.

I use 8 pads to run Karma and 8 pads to play drums. and the x-y pad works just also.

The only problem I've experienced; I'll be playing along, getting lost in the music, proceed with hitting Pads 1,2,3 and 4 and then wham I miss the 5th pad and hit the motif XF! I guess I got use to the M3 pads, where all 8 are in a row and not a 4 X 4 matrix.

The velocity works well for my touch, maybe slightly better (for me) than the M3 pads. It's cool seeing the velocity in the display.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Behringer and want to use this too when I have a Kronos.
I have to check if it works on my M50 but I can't see any problems.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to match the Kronos note numbers with the Pad device note numbers, I use C9 and up, and then it does not interfere with normal playing
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: