Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extended Warranty Question for Kronos

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cabasner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Extended Warranty Question for Kronos Reply with quote

Hi all,

I wanted to ask if anyone is aware of a better warranty for a Kronos (88 key) than the following:

Coverage and Benefits:
Failures caused by heat, dust, & humidity covered
Receive a check for full purchase price including sales tax if it can't be fixed
No registration necessary
Free shipping to and from our service centers
Transferable at NO charge

Basically, this warranty covers everything for 5 years, at a cost of $400.00. I bought an M3-88 a year ago, and got the same warranty for it.

The only place I've found a warranty as comprehensive as this, and for as long as this, is at B&H, the New York company known primarily for photographic equipment. That's the main reason why I got my M3 from them (combined with the best price and free shipping, too).

I just wondered if anyone know of anywhere else, or even any aftermarket warranty coverage that could be purchased, that has this kind of coverage at anywhere near this price. I am inclined to buy my Kronos at B&H for all of the above reasons, but the warranty seals the deal for me. Anyone know of any better coverage?
franzlp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I think these after market warranties are really not "warranted" (forgive the pun). Most consumer advocates will tell you these are usually giveaways to the the seller. To be specific on the different point concerning the coverage described it really is not a good warranty and I will specify why...

"Failures caused by heat, dust, & humidity covered"

This is highly subjective. Unlike gear from many years past keyboards today as most electronics are built from discrete components including computers. Unless you live in a shack in arizona or florida even that heat won't really beat down your instrument. These units don't run on vacuum tubes furthermore they are made of commercial grade components not consumer. Dust causing a failure is not frequent and con easily be disputed. Humidity will only affect under constant and careless exposure which then can be construed as not a failure but a misuse based on the recommended user manual humidity levels for proper operating. The most important coverage is not specified which would be failure due to electrical circumstances such as a power surge or such issue.

"Receive a check for full purchase price including sales tax if it can't be fixed"

Again, fixed based on what? You can damage it on purpose and request that it be fixed but of course that would not be valid based the fact that it is not a failure based on regular usage. They will always find a way to fix which means parts substitution as it doesn't mean that it will look like the unit you originally had.

"No registration necessary"

Sooo, how do you associate your specific keyboard to this warranty? You can't just take someone else's Kronos and get it repaired under the same warranty right. So that means that it would have to somehow be registered.

"Free shipping to and from our service centers"

Well that's nice.

"Transferable at NO charge"

Well would you realistically transfer the warranty within 5 years? For an instrument of this class you would likely own it for 5 or more years. Unless you are a keyboard flipper!

Bottom line take care of you synth by putting it on a well regulated power source, don't leave it on, invest on a keyboard cover and use it, and finally use more often in a well ventilated area and use a well padded case for transport. Ahh, also get a UPS power supply as it is money better invested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: