Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Basic Velocity Lesson?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phinnin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:52 am    Post subject: Basic Velocity Lesson? Reply with quote

Can someone clarify the korg methodology of velocity?

I have 4 parameters: top velocity, top slope, bottom slope, bottom velocity.

Defaults to 127,0,0,0 right?

I have read the manual but honestly, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I thought the logic made sense but actual rubber-meets-road isn't validating.

I am trying to make a horn section sound big and bad no matter how hard I hit the key. I tried cranking up the top slope and it had the desired effect, at significant sacrifice of volume. The best combination I have found so far is 127, 16, 0 , 40 but it still isn't doing it as it will whisper sometimes. I am trying to achieve and organ-type curve; touch it and it blasts.

This isn't an issue when I play on a weighted board (I seem to naturally pound those) but as I won't always have an 88 controller to midi into my K-61 with, I would like to make a set of combi's with my horns cranked up.

Input? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Phinnin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, solved my own issue. Combi is not where you want to do this, it's program mode. Bottom Velocity under osc/pitch>osc basic tab. FYI for those that may wonder...

Nothing to see here, move along.
Laste7

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you are in a combi mode, you can also go to "Tone Adj." --> have a look for "AMP VEL I" (or choose it from the menue) and set the value to "-99". You can do this for each timbre of the combi separatly. This has the advantage, that the programm values stay untouched (Interesting, if you use programms in more than one combi...)
X-Trade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The velocity zones in Combi mode are for programming velocity switching.

Same as the keyzones, 'top' refers to the highest velocity level a timbre responds to, 'bottom' refers to the lowest. So the default of 0 - 127 is the entire velocity range. If you wanted you could have a bass when you hit softly and a piano when you hit hard, using this example.

The 'slope' introduces a kind of fading zone (importantly, inwards into the zone. So it still never responds beyond that zone you've set). So for example if you had several string patches and you could have them 'mixed at the edges' reducing any sudden jump between velocity levels. In practise in a combi, fade is often used more for keyzones than velocity zones.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: