Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which engine vexes you most?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which engine vexes you the most?
HD-1
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
AL-1
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
STR-1
32%
 32%  [ 8 ]
SGX-1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
CX-3
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MOD-7
28%
 28%  [ 7 ]
EP-1
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
MS-20EX
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
PolySixEX
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Which engine vexes you most? Reply with quote

Nine synth engines and astounding possibilities. That said, which engine has proven thus far to be the hardest to get your head around?
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, i dont use the CX3 but it seems pretty easy since there is nothing
to it...the other ones i am already familiar from other machines.
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina,

AL-1 is a tricky one for me too. MOD-7 I chose as hardest though because I have had zero experience with FM so all I am doing with that right now is just pure experimentation! Knowing my luck I will wire something up and blow up my apartment Wink

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
cello
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AL-1 here too - and by no means out of the learning curve; still on the steep bit!

MOD-7; getting there (Kevin Nolan's huge library helped me learn).

PolysixEX - where I go just to have fun Laughing Immediate + direct = fun!

Although I've only got 7 engines, there's a lifetime's learning still inside my O Shocked
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the STR-1 more complicated than MOD-7, a real steep learning curve.

AL-1 and MS20EX is a doddle for me as I'm a long time modular user, I just see the AMS sources/destinations as patch points and go from there
Smile

Last edited by Broadwave on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:53 am; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
Sina,

AL-1 is a tricky one for me too. MOD-7 I chose as hardest though because I have had zero experience with FM so all I am doing with that right now is just pure experimentation! Knowing my luck I will wire something up and blow up my apartment Wink

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Don't forget to check out the MOD-7 tutorial in the Parameter Guide ("Synthesis with the MOD-7: a guided tour"); 9 pages of step-by-step walkthroughs for all the major MOD-7 features.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
drchris

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:

Don't forget to check out the MOD-7 tutorial in the Parameter Guide ("Synthesis with the MOD-7: a guided tour"); 9 pages of step-by-step walkthroughs for all the major MOD-7 features.

- Dan

Yes, that tutorial is GREAT! If you have a couple of hours, just sit and go through it. You'll understand MOD-7 so much more! Very well written and much appreciated!

As was mentioned above, a few of the other good FM synthesis tutorials online really help too. I particularly like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRazfCjnF8M and the subsequent videos in that series.

Chris
Gribs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can disappear into my own world for a couple of hours just playing with making and tweaking just one patch on any one of the synths. In the end it may or may not be pleasing to me, but I never feel like any patch is "done" and whenever I do get into tweaking like this it really helps me to appreciate the sound design work that has gone into the factory patches.

I totally get the idea of FM synthesis (and all the math behind it as I am a PhD/EE computational scientist by profession), but despite all that I have found that I have to play around a lot to just hear what I get. There is a big void between understanding the math and how it works and getting a time-dependent sound out that achieves a desired effect. I have relied more on serendipity than anything else in that regard. Despite this, I have spent some considerable time with soft synths like FM8 and Blue I am not really feeling out of place with MOD7 at all.

It is Str-1 that is somewhat new to me. I have played with some Karplus-Strong style synthesis in Reaktor and also using the comb filters in my Waldorf Q Phoenix board and in Vaz Modular. It is the grokking of the specific parameter set for Str-1 that is the block for me so far, despite the stuff in the parameter guide. I would like to see a more technical description of the math behind some of the parameters. That might help.
Roland RD700-GX
NI Komplete, Kore, Maschine
Eurorack modular that never ceases to grow
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: