Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got to demo a Kronos today, question about Combi mode/Karma

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WorknMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:17 am    Post subject: Got to demo a Kronos today, question about Combi mode/Karma Reply with quote

Our local GC finally got the Kronos, so I drove down to check it out today. Gonna go back on Monday to play some more, because there was way too much chaos in there today, and people who wanted their turn at the Kronos were circling around me like vultures, so figured it would be better to go in there on a week day Smile

Anyway, one thing that irritated me very quickly was Karma in Combi mode. Wanted very much to play with some of the sounds I was hearing, but the f*****g drums were pissing me off. However, if I used the Karma controls to turn off the drums, then the sound would be different Mad

For example, I think on the very first patch (A00?), it had a nice piano/pad sound, but when I turned off the drums, it would change to piano/string Sad So the question is, how do I turn off the drums and still get the same sound that was playing with the drums? I realize that on some sounds that have arpeggios/patterns playing, this might not be possible, but with the example I listed, it should work?

Note: I didn't mind the drums being on most of the time, just that sometimes I really wanted to turn them off.
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a KARMA module is generating the drum track then you will have to keep KARMA running and just disable the KARMA module that is running the drums. Page 213 of the Operations Guide discusses KARMA module “Run” and “Solo” settings.

Here is an excerpt from that manual.

In Combination mode, up to four KARMA modules can be operating simultaneously.
If KARMA is off, all KARMA modules will be stopped.
If KARMA is on, the KARMA module(s) you specify here will operate.

1. Go to the Combination P7: KARMA– GE Setup/Key Zones page.
2. Use the “Run” and “Solo” settings to specify the module(s) that will operate when KARMA is on.

KARMA modules whose “Run” setting is On (checked) will operate.

If you turn “Solo” On (checked), only that KARMA module will sound. This is useful when you are
selecting a GE, or when you want to audition the phrase that a module is generating. Modules whose “Solo” is On (checked) will sound even if “Run” is Off (unchecked).
kid_nepro_2002
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind. Misread your post.

New Sound Libraries For Korg Synths
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another method that might be easier but won’t always work is to use the KARMA switches. Press the RT Knobs / KARMA button then use the KARMA switches. The KARMA switches 1-4 are very often assigned to turn on/off KARMA modules A, B, C, D. It won’t work for all combis because those switches might be assigned to other functions.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Got to demo a Kronos today, question about Combi mode/Ka Reply with quote

WorknMan wrote:

Anyway, one thing that irritated me very quickly was Karma in Combi mode. Wanted very much to play with some of the sounds I was hearing, but the f*****g drums were pissing me off.

Note: I didn't mind the drums being on most of the time, just that sometimes I really wanted to turn them off.

I don't know how familiar you are with Karma or Korg, but to get started auditioning sounds, you should be in Program mode.
Here alone, you can spend a day going thru each bank and it's very simple to turn drums on and off with the Drum Track button.

Kronos has many levels of learning curves, and one can loose their temper pretty easily.
Is it Plug and Play? Yes, you can play it immediately, but if you want to control it, you must learn it. Good luck and try to enjoy the demo.
I would also suggest taking a pair of your own headphones and creating your own atmosphere, rather than relying on GC to do it for you! Laughing

Also, as mentioned in the above post, when in Combi mode, make sure the "RT Knobs/Karma" (On the left) button is selected.
Then from the screen you can touch any of the "Play buttons to mute any voice you like. Very simple, even for a new user.

Last edited by Lou on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s great advice from Lou. If you’re new to Korg then start in Program Mode. Controlling combis with KARMA takes time to learn. Jam with the KARMA presets and take it home to tweak it. You won’t be disappointed once you learn it.
WorknMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Got to demo a Kronos today, question about Combi mode/Ka Reply with quote

Lou wrote:

I would also suggest taking a pair of your own headphones and creating your own atmosphere, rather than relying on GC to do it for you! Laughing

Yeah, I had some, but they only go so far when I'm the only one in that small room with headphones, and the others have their volume turned way up, trying to play over each other Sad

Anyway, thanks for the tip Smile I know just enough about Korg interfaces to move around, but not Karma. You guys have any recommendations for piano/pad or piano/string combis I can try out, where the drums don't get in the way? I only ask, cuz I'm a real slut for power ballads Smile For those of you who are/were Triton owners, there was a 'Ballad Layer EP' combi that I've yet to hear topped on any other synth, including the M3.

Oh, btw... looooooooooove the DX7-style pianos on the Kronos. On most of the MOD7 demos I heard, they'd just play the stupid 'taco bell' sound, and then a few pads. I was starting to wonder if the MOD7 pianos were any good. Fortunately, they are quite nice Smile
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wokrn...yes you can is the answer to your question...now HOW is another
story but you can, first you have to be familiar with KARMA then you will
know how to turn it of or REPROGRAM the parts that you need.
Dont let that drive you away from the Kronos.
WorknMan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's not gonna drive me away. It's just a little inconvenient when you're sitting in GC and trying to figure out how to turn off the drums, but it's certainly not a deal breaker Smile lol

Actually, my only dilemma at this point is whether I'm gonna spend $3000+ on a hardware synth, or just use a MIDI controller and VSTs. The Kronos seems to make some rather unique sounds that might be hard to replicate on VSTs. I'm sure pianos, EPs, organs, etc wouldn't be a problem, but the layered/textured sounds that the Kronos does (and the ability to easily mix/match these different synthesis types) when you're just sitting around and jamming is a different story. That is why I am so interested in the combis.
drchris

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorknMan wrote:
... the layered/textured sounds that the Kronos does (and the ability to easily mix/match these different synthesis types) when you're just sitting around and jamming is a different story. That is why I am so interested in the combis.

You're exactly right. the combi's allow tons of poser when playing live and even changing things almost on the fly. I love the built in combis for playing alone and having fun but so far I've found that for playing live, I like to build my own combis. This is really not difficult to learn how to do. Sometimes I use splits to give me multiple sounds available at the same time, and sometimes I layer them to give me unique sounds combinations.

Now, to quickly answer your question, a very simple cheat option is to look for combi's that load up with the "drum track" led enabled. If it is lit, the combi is probably using the drum track feature for the drums rather than relying on a karma track for drums. You can then toggle off the drum track but leave the karma button lit. This is probably take out the drums for this combi and leave the rest of karma in place.

If you want to go a step further, read a lot about karma scenes. It sounds to me like you were changing scenes when trying to take out the drums. Different karma scenes usually increase complexity of the karma patterns, and may add or drop timbres completely, or may change the pattern that they play.

Good luck with the learning, the manuals are a huge resource and will take you far!

Chris
Nippess

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I agree with Lou, it really IS a patient and gradual learning curve!
Also DRChris, thanks, very helpful for me to read your post.
I've had my Kronos 5 weeks now, and looking through the Operations Guide, I noticed something rather basic as I was looking for other info.
Rolling Eyes The sliders on the left Control panel DON'T need to all be at the bottom position (well, that's how they were when I unpacked the box Embarassed Embarassed )
Hehehe... now I know it's best with them in the central position where the little dots are....I was wondering why there was no sound....the Master slider was at the bottom!
Anyway, little and often learning from those mistakes makes us better in the longer run (how long with Kronos? No hurry, take it steady I think). Very Happy
I realise I'm not alone in discovering the beauty of Kronos.

www.trainwithkaren.co.uk

www.parkside-therapy.co.uk
WorknMan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went back for another round with the Kronos today, and can say that the tips in this thread really helped out Smile Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the Kronos as the first time around. Being a Yamaha Motif XS owner, I would have to sell the Motif in order to afford the Kronos, and I'm not sure I like the Kronos THAT much Smile Most of that has to do with very specific sounds I have from the various 3rd party libraries I own, and dreading having to program these all over again on the Kronos. IMHO, synth makers really need to think a lot more about backwards compatibility in their newer models. I think it was very short-sighted of Korg to throw a new synth engine into the M3, and then completely discard it in the next model.

Last edited by WorknMan on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WorknMan wrote:
Went back for another round with the Kronos today, and can say that the tips in this thread really helped out Smile Unfortunately, I wasn't as impressed with the Kronos as the first time around. Being a Yamaha Motif XS owner, I would have to sell the Motif in order to afford the Kronos, and I'm not sure I like the Kronos THAT much Smile Most of that has to do with very specific sounds I have from the various 3rd party libraries I own, and dreading having to program these all over again on the Kronos. IMHO, synth owners really need to think a lot more about backwards compatibility in their newer models. I think it was very short-sighted of Korg to throw a new synth engine into the M3, and then completely discard it in the next model.

Since the engines do not differ that much (but are too different to let a 3th party make a conversion), Korg should have made a conversion program, since they know exactly how each parameter works (and that involves more than just stated in the parameter guide).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: