Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos Piano sound (61 key)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Kronos Piano sound (61 key) Reply with quote

I've been working every day on the piano on my Kronos. The stock piano is too bright for me live. I noticed on my speakers that the louder I play, the brighter the piano is. In addition, I feel like there is not enough control when I play soft. It doesn't sound rich enough for me. As I said in an earlier post, I have gone through every piano variation and settled on one of the darker grand piano sounds.

I think I've reached the point where it's pretty good for me. Obviously this is not for the weighted action - I bet the response would be off. But for the 61 note crowd, I think it plays pretty well. I made a short example of how it sounds. This is a darker tone, but I think it sounds good. I also hear the "noise" effects in this recording.

AN Piano Example

It's #47 in the PCG:

#47 in PCG
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ... don't have a Kronos yet but I will go order the 61 and play live so it will be handy when the time comes.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked at your piano, but I actually had the exact opposite problem with my PC361 - I loved the pianos when playing a weighted board, but it never sounded right on a synth action (too soft and mushy). Ultimately, changing global velocity curve to a lighter setting made it MUCH more playable.

Did you mess with the velocity curves, maybe setting it to a heavier setting?
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>I haven't looked at your piano, but I actually had the exact opposite problem with my PC361 - I loved the pianos when playing a weighted board, but it never sounded right on a synth action (too soft and mushy). Ultimately, changing global velocity curve to a lighter setting made it MUCH more playable.

I found the same thing with my PC361. You might like the piano I posted. Yes, I tried to fool with the global velocity settings and yes, #5 did give me more control, but I keep forgetting that the Kronos doesn't save things unless you tell it to, so all the time I thought I was using #5 and was tweaking.... Turns out it never did save so this piano was tweaked recently using#4 (stock velocity).
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work Aron! Beautiful, rich sound. In the band I am in I need the brighter sound but for my own compositions, I am going to give your suggestion a whirl.

Thanks man!

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad,

For your band, try and increase the Velocity Bias only. It brightens up in a nice way. You can also boost the EQ, but try the Velocity Bias first.

I've been playing this one for a while, but yeah, it might be too dark for the band. However I have a rehearsal tomorrow and will be able to tweak it some more.

I usually associate a Steinway with a darker sound.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally! I love this piano sound! Tonight it sounded awesome and it was responsive in the way that I wanted it to be. I wasn't playing through my speakers but through the PA. I was really happy with the tone and response. 2 gigs tomorrow.... Hopefully I will still be happy.
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely piano tone Aron!

I would love to have this. Have you posted the program as well pls? I am on my iPad so the pcg file does not open to reveal what it is

Thanks
Steve
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M3 61 with Radias EXP, DSI Prophet 6,Moog Voyager, Korg MS-20 kit, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg Legacy Collection, Roland JV1080, Roland D10, EDP Wasp, Roland TR606 Drumatix, Ableton Live, Ableton Push
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, yes I posted it. I like the response I am getting with 61 Kronos. Let's see how it goes today.

Aron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: