Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fugmann

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: getting started Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I just got my ESX-1 some days ago. I think that the manual is kind of thin in certain ways.
I have listened to the drumm samples that comes with the ESX.
I have noted 9-10 samples that I want to use in order to make a groove (pattern or song?). However I just want to

1. find an empty user-space for my groove
2. assign a proper name for it
3. assign the samples that I found for each key
for instance: "SD-5 025" to be assigned to key 3, Rim-3 047 to be assigned to key 4 and so on.

How do I do that?

Can you recommend a tutorial?
tim from texas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a hard time believing posts like these referring to the manual because i taught myself from the "good book" (like many other people).. you HAVE to use it there is no way around it.. but i do understand some people get it and some dont. the glossary of the manual is the best rout for learning. think about what youre trying to do and look up keywords and read those sections.

1. im 99% sure the manual tells you where blank patterns are(the late B's early C's maybe). i dont remember at this point because i deleted all the stock patterns the 1st day i had my esx. go to the area of selecting a pattern with the jog wheel. hold down the shift button and scroll with the jog..holding down shift while scrolling goes by 10s while non shift goes by 1s so its a lot faster to use shift. i hate using the jog wheel so what i would do is get to an empty slot (or delete all data from pattern A 1) once you find or make an empty slot hit the "write button" that will save the work you just did. if you hit write again and scroll to another slot and hit write one more time you just made two blank slots. you can go find a blank pattern in the like c's or d's hit write and come all the way back up to a1 and hit write and have a blank pattern all the way at the beginning.. anyway..

2. assigning a name for patterns is a waste of time as far as i am concerned. it can be done and the manual will tell you how but i just work on the same 10 patterns and once i record to the computer i delete the old stuff.. i name my stuff on the computer not the esx. youll have to figure that one out on your own. it IS in there.

3. "SD-5 025" to be assigned to key 3" hit key 3 so that the esx knows what part you want to change. then go up and hit part edit. then scroll (use shift if need be) to the sample you want... done. dont forget to save (write) when youre done setting up.. if you change patterns once set up is done without saving when you come back it will be gone. the cool thing is once youve made your kit you can do the pattern copy trick i mentioned above and make a few copies of your set up so you can chain patterns.
fugmann

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tim from Texas,

Thank you for your assistance - it helped a lot. Please keep in mind that a manual written in a foreign language is a little more difficult to understand.

Have a nice day and thanks again Smile
tim from texas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries man... i hope i helped. let me know if theres anything else you need. most of the time once you get the basics down the rest comes as you go along. i know the machine pretty well (not as well as others on here) but pretty well and i still teach myself stuff almost every time i turn the machine on. its interesting too because someone will ask a question and i wont know an easy way to tell them how to do it, so i will tell how i would do what they are asking with a work around... someone else will respond with a super easy way of doing it that i just didnt know about. there are several ways of doing tasking on the tribes. good luck and have fun
fugmann

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tim from texas wrote:
no worries man... i hope i helped. let me know if theres anything else you need. most of the time once you get the basics down the rest comes as you go along. i know the machine pretty well (not as well as others on here) but pretty well and i still teach myself stuff almost every time i turn the machine on. its interesting too because someone will ask a question and i wont know an easy way to tell them how to do it, so i will tell how i would do what they are asking with a work around... someone else will respond with a super easy way of doing it that i just didnt know about. there are several ways of doing tasking on the tribes. good luck and have fun

Smile Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Electribe All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: