Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Kronos Live loop?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darkmata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Does Kronos Live loop? Reply with quote

Does Kronos Live loop?...... like ableton records loops and automation? or even like the kaossilater pro? or do you have to bring a laptop with you to a gig?......I hope this isn't a stupid question for i don't know much about how hardware sequencers work Rolling Eyes

Music has always been there, even before we stumbled across it.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but it has a 16 track HDR built in, Resampling, Time Slice functions and countless other goodies.

You can get seriously creative with those and even control the effects engine assigned to the Vector Joystick or other controllers.

You won't be able to jump into this live and without stopping hear everything back, but the scope of what you can achieve is mind bending if you plan ahead first.

Regards
Sharp
Darkmata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i guess i'd have to run it via midi into ableton as a DAW and let ableton take control of live looping, no biggy i guess it would have been great to have it all in one unit, i think i'm asking for 2 much or is there something out there like that?

Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you want to do either.....

What about the RPPR Mode.
Realtime Pattern Play and Record

Sounds to me that's more like what your after if it's midi data your looking to loop in real-time and not samples.

Regards
Sharp.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're talking about recording and instantly playing back a loop in realtime, then I'm not sure that RPPR will help you.

Although it is really cool for performing looped stuff live where you've already recorded the MIDI data - that's pretty much like what Ableton does with preprepared stuff too.

There might be a looper IFX. Not sure but I think there's one in my KARMA(Triton).
It would be a bit of a waste of FX slots to use lots of them but if you're doing a mix of live and preprepared stuff then it may help.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Darkmata

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RPPR Mode doesn't sound like it will work, sorry i'm pretty new to the synth world so thanx for bearing with me Wink , what i like to do is listen to a looped beat and in real time add synth layers, when it gets to the end of the beat, i click on stop record in an ableton midi clip and it automatically plays what i just played as a loop alongside the beat, then i can change instruments and layer another loop, then i do a beatbox or something into my kaoss pad 3, which is midi clock synced, which adds another layer. This is what i will be doing live, just layering the lets say 16 bars until it sounds huge then i can take parts away and add them at the press of a button on my ableton controller (APC40) to htave song structure, all live but and without stopping...no pre recorded clips, everything created on the spot

apex
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thisbwoukd be possible if you could change parts while recording.... I know on the older korg sequencers uoubwoukd just go to the recording options and then make it loop and it would loop constantly while you record....but it only does one part...you can't change parts.

YouTube -
https://www.youtube.com/juliusdeberryjr

Facebook -
https://www.facebook.com/majesticstudiosllc

Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/majesticstudios_jld/
Darkmata

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

apex wrote:
thisbwoukd be possible if you could change parts while recording.... I know on the older korg sequencers uoubwoukd just go to the recording options and then make it loop and it would loop constantly while you record....but it only does one part...you can't change parts.

If ya check out at 10:10 he gets a loop goin, i don't know if it's recorded in the synth or an external device?
I'm sure the Kronos will link up with ableton Live's power, i just hopes it gives me complete PC control of the synth recording loops and automation within loops
I'l check out the Karma, Fn flatemates used up all the internet, i'm on dial-up Mad it's hard to check s**t out....right when i get my operation recon knee too!

Shakil
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The closest you can get to Abelton Live type looping on a workstation is on Fantom-G and Fantom-X..... Fantoms loop while recording and playback, and you also get autotime stretch, so your MIDI and Audio tracks stay in sync.
Darkmata

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to know, thanx Shakil, i didn't think it would be that hard a function for korg, as in to replicate the KPro and the KP3's looping control capabilities... i guess if i want the tones of a kronos i'l have to link it to ableton, for i like recording in midi loops that record automation within the loop and an be changed at the tweak of a knob Confused

nowtime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - looping is the bees' knees. I love setting up multiple tracks of inputs and with a push of the Launchpad's buttons getting perfectly cut loops of any length.

Even more, I love Ableton Looper's first-loop-sets-tempo function. Play a bass line or beat or whatever and the sequencer's tempo gets set to your naturally-played tempo for further looping and layering. I love the overdub function too, so musical when playing with the percentage amount, as old parts fade away and newer parts take their place.

I can't for the life of me figure out why every drum machine and keyboard does not inlcude at least a basic looper and perhaps a tempo calculator for first-loop-sets-tempo.
Darkmata

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does my head in too! what about a midi looping hardware pedal or something,.... if it doesn't exist, it should! building a loop from scratch and layering it is so fun!
i'm loving that OVR button too, so easy to find the best melody for that instrument and then move on to another layer.....writing pieces on the fly, i like the music to write itself.
I guess, all of this thread cements the fact that to have something like ableton, i need ableton.....although id love to see the looping functions of a Fantom X or G as Shakil mentioned. Is there any demos in detail of this function anywhere on the net?

rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darkmata wrote:
does my head in too! what about a midi looping hardware pedal or something,.... if it doesn't exist, it should! building a loop from scratch and layering it is so fun!

Korg recreates wicked hardware in software. If they could do an old SE-300/500 tape echo emulation and pimp it up with longer virtual tape... I have a 300 and the tape feed system is a work of art

Another Korg tank Smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3omn-7WccA
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
Darkmata

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to get away from depending on a laptop but, i'm happy with the software i have, as for tape echo you can't edit the individual layers, automation etc

rrricky rrrecordo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legacy MS-20 is polyphonic... why not Legacy SE-300? 8 banks, kinda like a living looping mellotron
Current Korg apparatus: MicroStation, MicroKorg, MicroSampler, WaveDrum, Trinity V3, M1REX, Wavestation SR, X5DR, Original Legacy Collection w/ MS-20 controller, iMS-20, DS-10 Plus x2, ELECTRIBE Rhythm Mk ll, iELECTRIBE, Kaossilator, padKONTROL, MicroKONTROL, NanoKey, NanoKontrol, Stage Echo SE-300
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: