Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It really is a Wavestation!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: It really is a Wavestation! Reply with quote

I kind of knew it was all in there somewhere but I had a great experience yesterday afternoon when I managed to put together an approximation of Ski Jam in no more than 10 mins!

It needs some fine tweaking bit it's not bad especially with a nice drum track as well ( and Karma)!

This was all in one HD 1 program of course but I was shocked at how easy it was.

It's a great machine. We don't seem to see much of the positive side of exploring the Kronos on here much these days...
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M3 61 with Radias EXP, DSI Prophet 6,Moog Voyager, Korg MS-20 kit, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg Legacy Collection, Roland JV1080, Roland D10, EDP Wasp, Roland TR606 Drumatix, Ableton Live, Ableton Push
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's possible to write a program that say for example.... when you launch it you can see the screen shots of the Wavestation displayed much like KORG's Virtual GUI of the M3 and OASYS.

At the click of a button the software should be then able to show you what a KRONOS screen would look like with those values entered into the correct places.

Obviously values will not match up perfectly, but it would be possible to write in offset equations so that the filter at one point on a wavestation matches closely to the KRONOS.

So you would basically have a visual aid telling you exactly what to enter into your KRONOS.

Regards
Sharp
doogler63

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

l Agree, l have had the Kronos for 6 weeks now and l have only scratched the surface when it comes to programing sounds and combinations. l own a wavestation and l have spent the last week tweaking my Kronos and it is capable of making all of the complex wave sequences that the wavestation can without any problems, and the best thing is that it can also do so much more. The kronos is a pleasure to work with and l don’t care what anyone else thinks, it the best Damm workstation on the planet for the dollars.

Cheers

Robert Razz
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a WaveStation but altough it's a quite old synth and it's still being referred so positively towards, it is nice the Kronos can do its features too. Guess when I have mine a new world will open for me.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only ever played with a Wavestation and Wavestation EX at music stores but I do have KLC'07 (AE/DE) with the Wavestation softsynth. I have also had quite a bit of success with recreating several of the patches almost perfectly (with a fair bit of "cheating" by referring to the waveform names). It turns out most of the waveforms and even some wavesequences are identical in the Kronos and Wavestation softsynth.
The HD-1 provides a great engine for creating Wavestation patches and the fact that it's capable of using custom samples makes it, in my opinion, a super-Wavestation. The MOD-7 engine is equally fun and it's possible to use a PCM waveform in the signal path. Considering how many Wavestation patches utilize very simple waveforms and rely on vector synthesis to animate the patch, I still think the MOD-7 would be capable of doing most of what the Wavestation offers plus the ability to have a kind of super-DX or SY-99 in addition to the Wavestation functions.
If anyone has a complete list of original Wavestation/AD/SR/EX waveform and wavesequence names I'd love to look through it and compare what's already in the Kronos. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks and cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
jorgemncardoso

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, glad to see a growing interest here on the wavestation capabilities of the kronos. I love my wavestation and would love to see it recreated on the kronos. For the Perrformance, Patch, Wave sequences and Waveform name list you can go to Korg Uk support site and download the Performance Notes file. It has the list of what cames with the SR witch is the most complete wavestation to date. The link is:

http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageID=342&fileID=671

Quoting Dan, as he posted on another thread here the wavestation waveforms on the Kronos are: 0488 Soft EP through 0971 VS155; the samples from the optional PCM cards follow these ones.

Hope it helps
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jorgemncardoso wrote:
Hi, glad to see a growing interest here on the wavestation capabilities of the kronos. I love my wavestation and would love to see it recreated on the kronos. For the Perrformance, Patch, Wave sequences and Waveform name list you can go to Korg Uk support site and download the Performance Notes file. It has the list of what cames with the SR witch is the most complete wavestation to date. The link is:

http://www.korguksupport.co.uk/page.cfm?pageID=342&fileID=671

Quoting Dan, as he posted on another thread here the wavestation waveforms on the Kronos are: 0488 Soft EP through 0971 VS155; the samples from the optional PCM cards follow these ones.

Hope it helps

Thanks, Jorge, this is exactly what I was looking for. This combined with the FXB files from the Legacy Collection should speed up the research.
Also, for anyone who's interested the Kronos Voice List is available as a 1.7MB PDF at http://korg.com/uploads/Support/Kronos_VNL_EFGSJ2_634417398473190000.pdf. The multisample ROM list starts on page 185.

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: