Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dubstep / IDM with Kronos ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pafanin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:49 am    Post subject: Dubstep / IDM with Kronos ? Reply with quote

Do you think that it is possible to do some dubsteb / IDM with Kronos?
I mainly play progessive metal and folk metal but my second passion is electronic music.. do you think Kronos will be good to let me do something in that style too? Consider it will be my only keyboard.
Paolo
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reason it wouldn't be. It has everything you could possibly need in recording, synth engines and fx. And if you really need more sounds you can always sample them or load libraries.
master logic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely 100% yes. My musical background is Detroit Style Techno, ambient soundscapes, IDM etc etc. It's interesting you mention Dubstep because i've always felt that a lot of dubstep/UK funky tracks have a 'KARMA' vibe to the rhythms. Kronos will give you all these options plus so much more. Thing i loved with my Oasys (& future Kronos) was that you can make it as techno/idm as you like but also have oodles of class at the same time. The phrase 'Jack of all trades MASTER OF NONE' no longer applies in the case of Oasys / Kronos.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Dubstep / IDM with Kronos ? Reply with quote

pafanin wrote:
Do you think that it is possible to do some dubsteb / IDM with Kronos?
I mainly play progessive metal and folk metal but my second passion is electronic music.. do you think Kronos will be good to let me do something in that style too? Consider it will be my only keyboard.
Paolo

I agree that it will not only be possible; but, with all the realtime sequence-wrangling capabilities like KARMA, RPPR, programmable drum tracks per program/combi, programmable mod sequencers per program/common part and wave sequencing (not to mention the actual sequencer section, but that's not the realtime part Wink) you'll find it really easy to come up with something IDM. My personal fave is using mod sequences on FM amount and OSC pitch while using FM and/or ring mod to get a very IDM feel. I set one of the switches or the +/-Y mod wheel to restart a sequence (set up 2 or 3 controllers for the 2 part-based sequences plus the common sequence) and retrigger/restart the loop at odd times while another sequence runs via RPPR or KARMA and you can get some very odd and very experimental sounds.
As for dubstep: there's definitely no reason you couldn't write, perform and master a finished track using nothing but Kronos. There are even 2 USB ports dedicated to connecting external drives such as CD/DVD-burners so you can knock yourself out. The MS-20EX and PolySixEX both have an amazing array of basses with tons of modulation possibilities for the tones as well as KARMA sequences. There are an absolute ton of drum samples in the unit, more on the HDD and if you get bored with the thousands of percussion sounds it's a sampler!! You can create loops/sequences and make multisamples of those loops to trigger from the keyboard or your favorite pad controller.
Hope this helps (and you haven't gone blind reading my long-ish post Wink). Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can do DubStep, i mostly sequence it on DAWs, i never use
Synth Sequencers but Kronos can do a good Job, it has the LFOs and KARMA
which you will mostly need in DubStep, especially the LFOs which are used
a lot in Dub Step.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: