Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NanoPad 1 & Korg iMS-20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Corbytender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: NanoPad 1 & Korg iMS-20 Reply with quote

I know this has been brought up here before, but I just did my best Google-Fu and couldn't find any answers. I picked up a NanoPad 1 for cheap and know next to nothing about Midi. Is it completely useless for iMS-20? I've messed around with the midi assignments enough to figure out how to control the drum pads, but what I really want the NanoPad to do is stop and start patterns. It would also be nice if I could use the Kaoss pad to control the one in iMS-20. Is this at all possible? I thought it would work out of the box, but I guess that's the NanoPad2.
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: NanoPad 1 & Korg iMS-20 Reply with quote

Corbytender wrote:
I know this has been brought up here before, but I just did my best Google-Fu and couldn't find any answers. I picked up a NanoPad 1 for cheap and know next to nothing about Midi. Is it completely useless for iMS-20? I've messed around with the midi assignments enough to figure out how to control the drum pads, but what I really want the NanoPad to do is stop and start patterns. It would also be nice if I could use the Kaoss pad to control the one in iMS-20. Is this at all possible? I thought it would work out of the box, but I guess that's the NanoPad2.

I can't speak for the NanoPad since I use the MS-20 controller for iMS-20. I am assuming your KP3 is running OS 2.0. Check out the KP3 editor manual and there is an entire section on setting up midi control definitions for the KAOSS pad. It is very well written. The KAOSS pad in iMS-20 on the left is just an x-y controller for CC values of your choosing. So you really are not controlling the controller with the KP3 you would just be emulating what the pad on the iPad would be doing. Program the KP3 to do LP Filter resonance on the Y axis and LP Filter frequency on the Y axis for example just by putting in the correct CC values and setting the midi channel. You should be on your way. Hope this helps.
Corbytender

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Korg still sold the MS-20 controller, I'd be all over it. I'm planning on getting the Synthstation 49 when it's released, but I was hoping the NanoPad could hold me over until then. I've figured out how to program the buttons on the NanoPad to send midi messages of my choosing using the editing software, but I'm having trouble figuring out which midi messages correspond to which actions in the iMS-20 (the manual is not very specific.) And the Kaoss pad I was referring to in my original post is the "roll/flam" pad on the NanoPad, not my KP3. NanoPad 2 works ideally out of the box - the roll/flam pad controls the iMS-20's Kaoss pad and the buttons are used to switch between patterns. So I figure it must be possible to program the NanoPad 1 to do the same and it's just a matter of figuring out the midi messages? Or am I just completely wrong?
inaheartbeat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK sorry for the misunderstanding about using the KAOSS pads. The following link should help you on the midi definitions. Remember that all synth controls are on midi channel 1. I have used my Korg nanoKontrol to send midi messages to iMS-20 and it worked fine. I use the MS-20 controller now that I got from an eBay auction.

http://www.korguser.net/ims20/html/help/en/midichart.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg - Apple iPad Software Section All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: