Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About the SSDrives

View previous topic :: View next topic  
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: About the SSDrives Reply with quote

Looking around at various computer related sites, I see that the subject of SSD is quite important regarding the needs of current firmware updates, as well, some interesting info regarding read/write longevity.
Any info from Korg regarding the maintenance of firmware, who makes the drives and their reputation or better drives?
I had some Yamaha pro audio gear that used hard drives which were Desk Star or Death Star,javascript:emoticon('Sad') so its always good to know those things.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe Dan wrote at length about the SSD to answer questions around the time of the initial announcement. A search should get you some results.
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read a great many of those articles you referred to, but did not find anything - even when the question was asked - about the need to download firmware updates. Curious, since this reference is mentioned a lot in the computer SSD topics.
The SSD in Kronos is an older make.
Perhaps Dan may comment or someone here could shed a little more light on that aspect of SSD.
Yuma
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info about the SSD. It's a Toshiba. Someone guessed the model type, but Dan didn't confirm this.

My guess is that the SSD will come with the most recent firmware, since the SSD is from a previous generation. As a result the firmware will most likely be mature.
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuma wrote:
My guess is that the SSD will come with the most recent firmware, since the SSD is from a previous generation. As a result the firmware will most likely be mature.

Unless they were originally purchased as free upgrades to the OASYS a long time ago and decided to just give them to us KRONOS users instead!

Wink
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuma wrote:
Here's some info about the SSD. It's a Toshiba. Someone guessed the model type, but Dan didn't confirm this.

Thanks Yuma, I had already read that, but no comments at all regarding firmware.
You may be correct, but we really don't know.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philmagnotta wrote:
Yuma wrote:

Thanks Yuma, I had already read that, but no comments at all regarding firmware.

What's the question?

Remember that the KRONOS is an embedded system, in which the hardware and software are tested together and relatively tightly coupled - as opposed to a generic PC onto which arbitrary software and drivers may be loaded by the end-user. I have zero worries about the firmware on the SSD.

- Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
philmagnotta

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danatkorg wrote:
philmagnotta wrote:
Yuma wrote:

What's the question?

Remember that the KRONOS is an embedded system, in which the hardware and software are tested together and relatively tightly coupled - as opposed to a generic PC onto which arbitrary software and drivers may be loaded by the end-user. I have zero worries about the firmware on the SSD.

- Dan

Thank you Dan.
Your answer is very clear and assuring, such that I no longer consider this of any concern.
Thanks again for your quick responses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: