Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Having problems getting effects to work in Combis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtemske

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:24 am    Post subject: Having problems getting effects to work in Combis Reply with quote

Hi - still relatively new with my Kronos 88 (as I guess everyone is!). I'm still struggling through the manual, but seem stuck with effects in Combis. Here's the basic problem I'm running into. I'm mostly using Combi's right now just for basic splits (e.g. piano on bottom with horns on top, or any other split keyboard type scenario). This is really basic stuff (I'm by no means pushing the envelope on this!)

The problem seems to be that individual programs (for example the piano and horn patches using the above example) have their own effects - but when you put them into a Combi, the effects don't seem to come over. Ok - simple enough, just go apply some new effects to the combination. I figured I'd start with some simple reverb so the sound isn't so dead.

Well, for the life of me I can't figure out why it's not working. I realize there are so many parameters that it's going to be hard to troubleshoot this via forum - but I figure I'll mention what I've done so far, and maybe someone will notice that I'm missing something obvious.

I went into the MFX page (to apply the effects to everything in the combi). I tried to essentially mirror some of the factory settings - set the first effect to reverb, made sure it was turned on, tweaked the return level, etc. etc. Nothing I do seems to actually apply the effect to the sounds. I've tried to compare to some factory combis doing a bunch of back and forth on the settings to see if I could see what was set there but not in my setup but I can't seem to find anything.

Just wondering if there's anything simple I might be missing (or if there are additional questions I could answer that might help narrow this down). I'm slowly working my way through all the manuals, but that's not going to happen quickly!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

- Ron
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you applied Master FX (Send 1 and Send 2) on the "Routing" page at the bottom to the specific channel after inserting them on the "MFX" page?

Have you tried IFX? Go to the IFX/Insert FX page and apply a reverb to the horns channel.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Having problems getting effects to work in Combis Reply with quote

A few things. In order to truly match up the FXs you will want to pull over the IFXs from your programs.

Goto the IFX page on your combi. Here's where you're going to be doing your routing to the MFXs AND bringing in any/all IFXs from the programs.

Goto to the ROUTING 1 tab. From the pull-down menu you can use the command COPY INSERT EFFECT. This will allow you to copy over all FXs for any of your programs.

At the bottom of the ROUTING 1 page you should see a dialog box for each timbre and it probably says >L/R. In order for the timbre to use an insert FX it needs to point to an IFX. If you go to the INSERT FX tab you will see the routing for each FX or chained FX. Noticing the last two columns. This is where you set the send levels for MFX1 and MFX2.

If you aren't using insert FXs, then look at the area right below the >L/R fields on the ROUTING 1 page and you'll see two sets of 000 for each timbre. This is where you set the level going into MFX1 and MFX2.

The other thing you need to make sure of when using MFXs is that the output level is not at zero. Go to the MFX/TFX tab and in the middle of the screen are the RETURNs for both MFXs. You can set these to 127 and then use the SENDs to adjust overall send level.

Hope this makes sense.

There is also something that can make setting up these combis much easier. When you first start, there is a command on the pull-down menu from the PLAY->PROGRAM SELECT/MIXER tab called COPY FROM PROGRAM. This will present a dialog which allows you to bring over all settings from you main program (IFX/MFX/KARMA/DrumTracks, etc.) You can use this for the main program then use what I posted above to set up your secondary programs within the combi.

Busch.
Fred S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info. Thanks. I had figured out how to bring over (copy) the effects for my main program, but not subsequent programs.
rtemske

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Thank you!!! Reply with quote

Thank you! The main problem I was having was the send levels you mention below. I hadn't realized there were send levels for the MFX effects (as I thought they just automatically affected all patches in the combi). Your advice was a HUGE help - not only for solving the immediate problem, but providing some good short-cuts as I setup my other combinations.

I'm just getting started creating equivalent patches to my old rig, so you saved me a ton of time!

Thanks again for the very helpful information!

-Ron
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you were confusing Master (MFX) and Total (TFX).

TFX are applied to the whole output.

MFX are 'send' effects like those on an analog mixer. They don't pass the dry signal directly (instead, that is handled at 'mix' before being merged back). This makes them ideal for chorus, delay, reverb, etc, but not effects that require 100% wet such as compression, distortion, etc.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
SoulBe

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Having problems getting effects to work in Combis Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
There is also something that can make setting up these combis much easier. When you first start, there is a command on the pull-down menu from the PLAY->PROGRAM SELECT/MIXER tab called COPY FROM PROGRAM. This will present a dialog which allows you to bring over all settings from you main program (IFX/MFX/KARMA/DrumTracks, etc.) You can use this for the main program then use what I posted above to set up your secondary programs within the combi.

Busch.

This is where you should start with. Copy the first program with all ifx used and mfx and tfx and Karma into the combie. Then copy the next program but only with the ifx used, otherwise mfx/tfx will be overwritten. Then you try if the mfx/tfx are ok for the second sound, otherwise you can copy the mfx and tfx from the second program as ifx into ifx slots into the combie and check the boxes to run trough, here you have to tweak the wet / dry levels a bit but it works.

best regards
SoulBe
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Having problems getting effects to work in Combis Reply with quote

rtemske wrote:
Hi - still relatively new with my Kronos 88 (as I guess everyone is!). I'm still struggling through the manual, but seem stuck with effects in Combis. Here's the basic problem I'm running into. I'm mostly using Combi's right now just for basic splits (e.g. piano on bottom with horns on top, or any other split keyboard type scenario). This is really basic stuff (I'm by no means pushing the envelope on this!)

The problem seems to be that individual programs (for example the piano and horn patches using the above example) have their own effects - but when you put them into a Combi, the effects don't seem to come over. Ok - simple enough, just go apply some new effects to the combination. I figured I'd start with some simple reverb so the sound isn't so dead.

Well, for the life of me I can't figure out why it's not working. I realize there are so many parameters that it's going to be hard to troubleshoot this via forum - but I figure I'll mention what I've done so far, and maybe someone will notice that I'm missing something obvious.

I went into the MFX page (to apply the effects to everything in the combi). I tried to essentially mirror some of the factory settings - set the first effect to reverb, made sure it was turned on, tweaked the return level, etc. etc. Nothing I do seems to actually apply the effect to the sounds. I've tried to compare to some factory combis doing a bunch of back and forth on the settings to see if I could see what was set there but not in my setup but I can't seem to find anything.

Just wondering if there's anything simple I might be missing (or if there are additional questions I could answer that might help narrow this down). I'm slowly working my way through all the manuals, but that's not going to happen quickly!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

- Ron

Ron -

You can import effects from other programs and Combis into the existing Combi. Go to the IFX to MFX/TFX pages and choose the upper right screen menu and choose the appropriate "Copy Effects" option.

You'll see that the options for copying into a Combi are very extensive and flexible - you can copy individual effects from different programs into the Combi, or copy all effects from a given program / Combi in (though if you copy all in more than once you'll wipe the previous all copy).

Then, once you have the effects copied in, you can route your various programs to them. The Kronos effects routing is excellent - you can, for example route all 16 program to a given insert effect, or to multiple ones, and even chain insert effects; all before you then avail of the 4 multi and total effects. This is a very sophisticated capability and I recommend you target and read just that part of the Kronos Parameter Guide given its so important to you.

Mike Conway's Unofficial OASYS DVD covers all of this really well too so you might buy that.

Overall, Kronos outshines OASYS in this regard (I'm an OASYS user) because of the separate CPUs on the Kronos for voices and effects - so you can happily layer effects on Kronos without the loss of polyphony we OASYS users suffer if we lay the effects on too thick.

Some useful pointers in the Parameter Guide:

Program HD-1 Engine - Copy Insert Effect (6 pages from end of that section of the manual (Pg 153 in OASYS Parameter Guide)

Parameter Guide - Chapter on Combi's, Section 8-1 (Routing) (tells you about effects routing).

Best of luck,
Kevin.
Fred S

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Built several combi patches today. Everything worked at described. Thanks for the help.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some time ago thought about creating a combi from patches, where you can select the 'priority' of the patches and an app could auto select (or make a suggestion) which effects to copy and which not, but this is really complicated.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rtemske

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the helpful replies - good stuff and definitely solved my issues. I appreciate the support!

- Ron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: