Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two keys making "clonking" sound on Kronos 88...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeloop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:11 pm    Post subject: Two keys making "clonking" sound on Kronos 88... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've put a few posts up lately, I'm currently trialling the Kronos 88 and an M3-73 from my music store.

The Kronos really is spectacular, however last night I noticed that the Ab and Bb keys one octave from the top make a nasty "clonking" sound when they are played hard. This sounds like something is slightly loose in the key action.

Strangely, if you hit these notes coming from the left hand side, there is no noise, but there is a noise if you hit them directly from the top.

Is this something anyone else has noticed on their Kronos 88?

After various Kronos quality control issues discussed on this forum, I'm worried there's a problem with these two notes and that they might get stuck or start responding poorly after a while. The next Kronos shipment is at least two months away apparently, so I'm not sure what the best thing to do is...

If anyone has feedback or a similar problem with their K88, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers,
Mike
Jeremy Bender

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As posted before I have several keys on my K88 that knock and clonk...

To be fair I only notice it when I have volume lower.

Seeing a Korg rep on Saturday so will discuss with him. I have not been keen to send back as who knows when I would get another one!
Korg Kronos 88, Korg M3 61 with Radias EXP, DSI Prophet 6,Moog Voyager, Korg MS-20 kit, Korg Wavestation SR, Korg M3R, Korg Legacy Collection, Roland JV1080, Roland D10, EDP Wasp, Roland TR606 Drumatix, Ableton Live, Ableton Push
JPWC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played through all of the SFX's on my K-61 and could not find the "Clonking" sample. Laughing

But, my SV-1 kind of clonks. As well as my car.
Kronos-6, Krome, M3, Radias, KingKorg, microKorg, KP-2, KP-3, KO-1, KO-1 PRO, Karma, microX, monotron, monotribe, PadCONTROL, Wavedrum Mini, Volca Keys, Beats, Bass, Sample, monotron Duo & Delay, microArranger, M1, Wavestation, Volca Sample, Keys, Beats & Bass, MS-20

JD-XA, JD-Xi, Aira (system 1, TB3, TR8, MX-1), Prophet 12, Mopho X4, Jupiter-80, FA-06, D50, CS1x, CZ101, DX200, AN200, analogFOUR, MachineDrum, MonoMachine, Motif XF6, Virus Snow, Nord Lead 2X, OP-1, MFOS, Tenori-on, QY100, QY70, meeblip se, miniBrute, microBrute, Bass Station 2
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practically the entire bottom octave on my K61 bottoms out when I play the keys hard. Rolling Eyes
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Two keys making "clonking" sound on Kronos 88. Reply with quote

yeloop wrote:
Hi Guys,

I've put a few posts up lately, I'm currently trialling the Kronos 88 and an M3-73 from my music store.

The Kronos really is spectacular, however last night I noticed that the Ab and Bb keys one octave from the top make a nasty "clonking" sound when they are played hard. This sounds like something is slightly loose in the key action.

Strangely, if you hit these notes coming from the left hand side, there is no noise, but there is a noise if you hit them directly from the top.

After various Kronos quality control issues discussed on this forum, I'm worried there's a problem with these two notes and that they might get stuck or start responding poorly after a while. The next Kronos shipment is at least two months away apparently, so I'm not sure what the best thing to do is...

If anyone has feedback or a similar problem with their K88, I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers,
Mike

I have the K88-there is an artifact on B flat 2, only for the German grand.
yeloop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy Bender wrote:
As posted before I have several keys on my K88 that knock and clonk...

To be fair I only notice it when I have volume lower.

Seeing a Korg rep on Saturday so will discuss with him. I have not been keen to send back as who knows when I would get another one!

Hi Jeremy,

I think you have a similar problem to me then. It doesn't bother me sound-wise, but it does concern me in terms of reliability. I had a Yamaha S90 with a very similar sound coming from one of the keys, and that key ended up getting stuck down quite a lot. When I opened it up, a little plastic part had snapped off the inside of the key itself, causing the key to no longer sit perfectly straight and to get jammed against the key alongside it.

The sound was scarily similar so my worry is that these keys have a damaged part that could break off and cause problems.

I'd love to hear what the Korg rep says, would you be able to get back to me on the forum once you've discussed it with him.

Cheers and thanks!

Mike
yeloop

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Two keys making "clonking" sound on Kronos 88. Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
yeloop wrote:
Hi Guys,

Cheers,
Mike

I have the K88-there is an artifact on B flat 2, only for the German grand.

Hi Greg,

I was actually talking about a sound from the physical key action itself...
however I have noticed the same slight distortion on Bb 2 on the German grand sample!

Cheers
Mike
maphill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look and see if there is any clearance between the metal on the front and the keys.

Read here for more information and a potential fix:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64931&highlight=

Mark
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That clonking sound is probably the issue all 88s and 73s have.
The white keys can be pulled forward towards the metal bar and the black keys can be pulled forward towards the white keys.

When i play fast some of the keys start moving forward. All the keys come forward. Grab a black key at pull it towards you and then let it go it springs back into position...lol

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
yeloop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maphill wrote:
Look and see if there is any clearance between the metal on the front and the keys.

Read here for more information and a potential fix:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=64931&highlight=

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for this info - I've had a look at the link, I don't think this is quite the same issue, as it seems to be a case of white keys making contact with the metal front panel.

In my case, it's only two black keys that are affected, the white ones around them (and all other white keys) seem to be absolutely fine.

I'm just concerned that this is going to become a problem later. The sound doesn't really bother me, but what it might mean for the future does worry me a bit.

Now's my chance to get it exchanged, although the replacement could take a few months to arrive, I suspect...

Mike
keyplayer14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:
The white keys can be pulled forward towards the metal bar and the black keys can be pulled forward towards the white keys.

When i play fast some of the keys start moving forward. All the keys come forward. Grab a black key at pull it towards you and then let it go it springs back into position...lol

Billy

Well it's not an issue that my 88 has.....mind you I tend to spend more time playing it than trying to pull bits off it.....
jeebustrain
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

I don't have any noise issues (other than the normal noise a hammer action keybed has) with my K88. All the keys sound exactly the same.
::: Korg Kronos 88 ::: Alesis Fusion 8HD ::: Kurzweil PC361 ::: Roland V-Synth ::: DSI Prophet 12 ::: DSI OB-6 ::: Korg Prophecy ::: Moog Micromoog ::: Yamaha CP-30 ::: Alesis Andromeda ::: Moog Sub37 ::: Sequential Prophet 600 ::: Korg MS2000BR ::: GSI Burn :::

My Music
yeloop

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeebustrain wrote:
billysynth1 wrote:

I don't have any noise issues (other than the normal noise a hammer action keybed has) with my K88. All the keys sound exactly the same.

Hmm... it's starting to look like I've got a dud one... agh!
billysynth1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i'm not going aroung pulling the keys forward day in day out lol
i just noticed that thats what one can do with the keys and that's what was causing the clunking sound.

The other point is, what condition are these keys going to be in...in a years time? If they last that long.

I'm trying to get as much playing as possible within the 1yr warranty so that if i do have any issues i will send back and they can either replace or fix.

For me, its a stupid designed keybed...

Billy
I am a student of classical piano...I am not a classical pianist.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth1 wrote:

Billy

There is no issue with the 88's from what I read. Likely the 73s are 99% ok.

If there are any issues, it's related to first run models. Contact your repair/service center to fix yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: