Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is the 2GB ram upgrade not available now?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ksynth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Why is the 2GB ram upgrade not available now? Reply with quote

Maybe I missed some crucial point abut just thinking about the ram upgrade and why its not available right now as Korg dealer task?

Surely there is no ram module shortage.

I'd do it myself id it did not void the warranty.
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be supported officially when the OS update is released in October.

I was told by Korg that if you install the upgrade before the OS update you will void your warranty.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:

I was told by Korg that if you install the upgrade before the OS update you will void your warranty.

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Is there also news if you do it yourself (but after the OS update) it is a void of warranty? I mean, the most work is probably opening and closing the back.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
PinkFloydDudi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
Vlad_77 wrote:

Ahimsa,
Vlad

Is there also news if you do it yourself (but after the OS update) it is a void of warranty? I mean, the most work is probably opening and closing the back.

Also wondering this! Would be great if they let you do it yourself!
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I did not ask the question if we can do it ourselves after the OS update. I HOPE we can. In my city, it will cost 85.00 JUST to have them LOOK at it, plus the RAM - which you KNOW they will inflate the price - PLUS the labor.

So here's hoping Korg WILL allow users to at LEAST do their own RAM upgrade! I REALLY need that extra 2 GB of RAM as I believe many of us do. I do not "get" Korg's decision to put only 2GB in an instrument MEANT for sound creation. And to top it off, you void your warranty at this point if you DO upgrade the RAM. I have a two year warranty on this baby and I will not mess with that.

Side note: Roland have ALWAYS been friendly when it comes to RAM and SRX (for instance) upgrades. On the Fantom X, four screws and you are in and your warranty was NOT void. I BELIEVE it is the same for the G but I do not have one. I know that doing an upgrade for the older XV-88 is also a snap.

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
panrixx

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nearest dealer is 130 miles away, so I would rather upgrade myself.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PinkFloydDudi wrote:

I don't think they will. Otherwise they would have added a memory cover held by 4 or 6 screws. I still don't understand why they didn't.

Imo they should provide 4 GB RAM from factory, and basta!
shawnhar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vlad_77 wrote:
I do not "get" Korg's decision to put only 2GB in an instrument MEANT for sound creation.

I do "get" it. Some folks use a lot of sampling or third parties, but others don't. I'm mostly interested in the synth engines, and a few tens of megabytes is more than adequate for my own sampling (which will mostly be very short waveforms for use in custom wavesequences).

Yes, RAM is cheap, but this thing was already expensive enough for me! I'm happy they made this an option so only those who want large sample sets need to pay for it.

Of course it would have been nice if this option was available from day 1, but hey, would have been nice if my Kronos arrived the day I ordered it, too Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXer wrote:
PinkFloydDudi wrote:

I don't think they will. Otherwise they would have added a memory cover held by 4 or 6 screws. I still don't understand why they didn't.

Imo they should provide 4 GB RAM from factory, and basta!

I think they were being cautious. This isn't your uncle's $400 PC. Its a complex $3000-$4000 workstation , new in the marketplace.

I would not want to void my warranty just to have up to 3.2 gig of ram.
I haven't noticed anyone showing their musical creations with the extra
2 gig of ram.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curious...how do we know what speed memory to purchase? Parity/non-Parity? ECC/Non-ECC. I would think Korg would know best. The Roland Fantom G was VERY sensitive to memory and I assume Korg wants to ensure we get the correct compatible and reliable memory matched to the K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: