Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Kronos synth engine do you use the most?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which synth engine do you use the most?
SGX1
35%
 35%  [ 21 ]
EP1
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
CX3
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
HD1
11%
 11%  [ 7 ]
AL1
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
MS20
5%
 5%  [ 3 ]
PolySix
8%
 8%  [ 5 ]
MOD7
13%
 13%  [ 8 ]
STR1
6%
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 59

shawnhar

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Which Kronos synth engine do you use the most? Reply with quote

I'm curious which of the many Kronos engines people like best, and which you find yourself using most often?

For me it is a tossup between MS20 and EP1 (with props to runners up MOD7 and the wave sequencing portion of HD1)
Morshu

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont own a kronos but i think the polysix engine is the coolest cuz it can make epic plucks
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a tough list to pick from......a better answer for me would be: all of the synth EXi's (AL1, Mod7, STR1, P6, MS20).
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
popmann

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can easily pick the the EP1, SGX1, and HD1 as my favorites...I'm not much of a synth guy--and frankly the synthy sounds I like, I'll be programming and bringing in samples into the HD1. I've never "gotten" the proper musical context for FM and analog synths.

As the "most used"...since I have a Hammond C3 and yamaha U3 piano, in terms of what will be "most used on final recordings" here--easily the EP1 (the main selling point for me) with occasional HD1. I love the SGX1 and Cx3 emulations, as much--and will be using them for writing demos and such...but, I doubt they will get used on final recordings just due to the real thing being here. But, the SGX1 is good enough for that--should I really want to track something and the U3 isn't in tune enough.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know which synth engine us being used. Does it tell you on the display with the sound. Can you mix them in a combi,,,
A question for all of us waiting?

Cheers
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
How do you know which synth engine us being used. Does it tell you on the display with the sound. Can you mix them in a combi,,,
A question for all of us waiting?

Cheers

in the program, you can see which 2 EXI models you are using (visually by a large picture).

Every program can combine 2 EXI models or can use 2 HD models.
In a combi you can use 16 programs which means that a combi can create sounds using 32 EXI models together (lot's of power that way). The only thing to keep in mind is that every Synth engine has a specific amount of polyphony, so as far as i know you need to focus on that. For instance, the MS20 had 48 polyphony. if you use 32 EXI models of the MS20 in a combi, you would probaly run out of notes instantly.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
Presumably the same goes for recording on the sequencer. Just got to keep an eye on polyphony ?

Cheers
synthguy
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I finally do get my Kronos, it's going to be AL-1 by a margin, though I don't intend to ignore the others. And what else would you expect from a synth guy? Wink
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
shawnhar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthguy wrote:
When I finally do get my Kronos, it's going to be AL-1 by a margin, though I don't intend to ignore the others. And what else would you expect from a synth guy? Wink

I was expecting the same thing before I got my Kronos, yet now find myself choosing MS20 over AL1 on a regular basis.

AL1 is flexible and sounds great, but MS20 is also tremendously powerful, and has more character (at least to my ears). AL1 gets the job done, but MS20 inspires me while doing it! It almost feels like comparing a classy, well implemented VA (AL1) with a real analog synth (MS20).

Bear in mind that MS20 in the Kronos is far more than the original (interesting but rather limited) MS20 monosynth. For starters it is polyphonic, and adds a couple of extra patch panel connections, but more importantly it inherits the flexible AMS routing and AMS mixers (same as AL1), multiple envelopes, multiple LFOs, common LFO, and step sequencer. Combine these powerful modulation options with the analog style patch panel, and you have something really rather special. Not to mention the ability to run two of them within a single patch, of course!
Cpilot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I seem to be the only CX-3 fan. I got the Kronos 61 specifically for the CX-3 since I can't get a real CX-3 any more (though someone offered me a mint A100 for nothing - didn't have the room for it). And I use MOD-7 and EP-1 quite a bit. For an organ I've mostly been using B4 on a laptop with a FastTrack Pro and a couple of amps but it was too fiddly to keep setting it up, and none of my other keyboards came close to a B3. I took a look at the electrical specs for the Kronos and immediately put the amps away. It's now connected straight into my stereo amp, no pre-amp, 600W per channel into a pair of large full range speakers. It's the only way to listen to the Kronos. The quality of the sound is simply amazing.
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cpilot wrote:
So far I seem to be the only CX-3 fan. I got the Kronos 61 specifically for the CX-3 since I can't get a real CX-3 any more (though someone offered me a mint A100 for nothing - didn't have the room for it). And I use MOD-7 and EP-1 quite a bit. For an organ I've mostly been using B4 on a laptop with a FastTrack Pro and a couple of amps but it was too fiddly to keep setting it up, and none of my other keyboards came close to a B3. I took a look at the electrical specs for the Kronos and immediately put the amps away. It's now connected straight into my stereo amp, no pre-amp, 600W per channel into a pair of large full range speakers. It's the only way to listen to the Kronos. The quality of the sound is simply amazing.

You're not the only CX3 fan. One of the main reasons for my getting the Kronos was to replace my A100/Leslie. As soon as I'm proficient at programing the CX3 engine, I'll be selling my Hammond. I'm getting to be too old to carry around the old beast; Love the weight of the new beast! But I haven't voted yet. I'm also spending a lot of time on the accoustic and electric pianos and HD1. I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time on the other engines as well, although I'm not too sure about STR1 yet.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: