Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any able to tell me?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

What is a scene? I just read Kronos has so many scenes and Karma adds so many more but I don't know what that is or what it consists of! Thanks Bertotti

Oh one more thing, is this something you all use routinely?
BillW
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to do with Karma. Some might use it regularly, I have it globally disabled. Laughing
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
What is a scene? I just read Kronos has so many scenes and Karma adds so many more but I don't know what that is or what it consists of! Thanks Bertotti

I've had my Kronos 1 day.
The Karma feature, wow.
Reminds me of the end of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind when the big spaceship goes mental !

I know thats is no help whatsoever Embarassed

But once you get used to it, it is awesome.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Bertotti wrote:

I've had my Kronos 1 day.
The Karma feature, wow.
Reminds me of the end of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind when the big spaceship goes mental !

I know thats is no help whatsoever Embarassed

I'm getting my (61) tomorrow ... never had Karma before so I'm excited to try it out too.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

Bertotti wrote:
What is a scene?

A scene is just a collection of parameters in the combi or program you are using.

So let's say you are using a combi with 2 sounds and 4 KARMA modules. You can program scene 1 to use only KARMA module 1 and 3 with specific KARMA settings, like the pattern to be played in the GE Model or the duration of the Notes generated, etc.

Also you can adjust the sounds in a scene with tone adjust. There are lot's of scenes which makes it possible to dramatically change the sound appearance during live play.

now i can imagine that it's hard to understand so let me give an example. In this demo i'm using the scenes in my own combi on the Korg M3. (i also have the same combi on the Kronos). What i'm doing in this mp3 is playing the tune of Jean Michel Jarre - Souvenir of China. This is a Combi i've made for my own soundset. Now everything you hear in this mp3 is live on one combi, when the sound changes (in the middle of the track you can hear only the arpeggiator patterns), then the only thing is did was changing the Scene. At the end of the song you hear the Arpeggiator play random sinus notes. This is caused by changing specific KARMA settings for that scene. So each scene has it's own settings for that specific combi.

Souvenir of China Scene demo

So scenes are a very powerful feature when programming your own sounds or combi's. I use them a lot Smile

other example i've posted on youtube (also the korg m3, but it's the same for the kronos)

Here i start playing with scene 1, where i've set the parameters to mute all channels except channel 1 which contains the choir. When i active scene 2 all channels will be unmuted and based on the scene changes i activate different kind of settings for the specifif channels).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHbl6cHqgg
arne v

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to forget that you can also use the sliders (usually 1/2) to change different settings on how Karma performs Smile

If you have never used Kronos/Karma before and are married be prepared Smile
(wife might be upset)
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
Bertotti wrote:
What is a scene?

A scene is just a collection of parameters in the combi or program you are using.

So let's say you are using a combi with 2 sounds and 4 KARMA modules. You can program scene 1 to use only KARMA module 1 and 3 with specific KARMA settings, like the pattern to be played in the GE Model or the duration of the Notes generated, etc.

Also you can adjust the sounds in a scene with tone adjust. There are lot's of scenes which makes it possible to dramatically change the sound appearance during live play.

now i can imagine that it's hard to understand so let me give an example. In this demo i'm using the scenes in my own combi on the Korg M3. (i also have the same combi on the Kronos). What i'm doing in this mp3 is playing the tune of Jean Michel Jarre - Souvenir of China. This is a Combi i've made for my own soundset. Now everything you hear in this mp3 is live on one combi, when the sound changes (in the middle of the track you can hear only the arpeggiator patterns), then the only thing is did was changing the Scene. At the end of the song you hear the Arpeggiator play random sinus notes. This is caused by changing specific KARMA settings for that scene. So each scene has it's own settings for that specific combi.

Souvenir of China Scene demo

So scenes are a very powerful feature when programming your own sounds or combi's. I use them a lot Smile

other example i've posted on youtube (also the korg m3, but it's the same for the kronos)

Here i start playing with scene 1, where i've set the parameters to mute all channels except channel 1 which contains the choir. When i active scene 2 all channels will be unmuted and based on the scene changes i activate different kind of settings for the specifif channels).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWHbl6cHqgg

Thanks. Really helpful. Great videos to. Very Happy
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

runningman67 wrote:
Thanks. Really helpful. Great videos to. Very Happy

Great Smile

if you got any more questions about programming the Kronos, then just ask on this forum, the Kronos has so much to offer when you know how to program this workstation.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

qrobinez wrote:
(i also have the same combi on the Kronos)

Hi qr, what did you have to do to get your M3 combi playable on Kronos?
Loved the Visions of Shiva Combi Collection, wish they were available for Kronos.. any future chance? Great work! Thanks for posting the info.
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Any able to tell me? Reply with quote

Lou wrote:
qrobinez wrote:
(i also have the same combi on the Kronos)

Hi qr, what did you have to do to get your M3 combi playable on Kronos?
Loved the Visions of Shiva Combi Collection, wish they were available for Kronos.. any future chance? Great work! Thanks for posting the info.

What i did was opening the M3 combi in the M3 editor on the computer. Then i created a new combi on the Kronos and recreated the combi by hand by selecting the corresponding program, timbre, GE models and FX settings in the editor and manualy entered them in the Kronos. Then i reprogrammed the KARMA modules to act the same way as on the Kronos.

It's very easy to do, but it's a lot of work. I've transfered 2 combi's from the Shiva set now. The Cathedral Voices and the Souvenir of China Combi are now in my upcoming Combi set for the Kronos. I'm going to make some changes to these combi's to make them sound even beter on the Kronos. For instance i've got rid of the Marktree bellsound in the Souvenir of China combi. This is replaced now by a much beter Phaser Pad that is only available on the Kronos.

So a couple of my favorite combi's of the Shiva set will return on the Kronos, but definitly not all. I am focussing on some exciting new combi sounds now. I've got some killer Enya like performance combi's already and the combi set grows day by day.

I've learned a lot already for the new EXI models (the Mod7 is a great! engine) and the new combi sets will include custom programs (sounds). There is enough program space available when we get the 1.5 update, so using my own programs will not be a problem anymore.
Lou
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is music to my ears. Hope all goes well.. I really enjoy the spacey ambient genre. I'm sure as you move forward, and with the release of 1.5, Kronos will be a a plus to your work.
Now, if I only knew where to begin to create my own would be very cool. Any tips along the way is always appreciated. Thanks qr!
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arne v wrote:
Not to forget that you can also use the sliders (usually 1/2) to change different settings on how Karma performs Smile

If you have never used Kronos/Karma before and are married be prepared Smile
(wife might be upset)

Yup. She's upset. Wonders if I'm ever coming to bed.

Ever.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qrobinez you are right it Oshawa tonwrapnyour head around especially when still without the tools to try it, great explanation though it did help a lot. You know I have to prepare myself for when I can finally get one. 7 months and the hospital will be paid off and Kronos will be mine! Everyone thanks for the help!
ScoobyDoo555
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I class the Karma scenes as the new version of an old-school concept called "registrations". Performance-based collections of setup.

Do I use it?

Since June, once for a TV theme that I've been involved in.

I will be using it more once I sit down with my drummer to decide how we can sync it up (although "tap tempo" works REALLY well)

Dan
Yamaha SY77 & KX88, SSL Nucleus, Korg Kronos 61, Wavestation A/D, Access Virus B, Roland XP30, DeepMind12D, System 1m, V-Synth XT, Focusrite Red16Line, Unitor 8, Akai S3000 XL, Alesis Quadraverb+, Focal Shape Twins, Full fat iMac, Logic Pro X, ProTools 2021, loadsa plugins.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: