Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have change my loop on my wavedrum
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aminco wrote:
When developing any products , you have to make compromises. Leaving the I/O out is a logical decision. Glad they didn't bury the memory in plastic.

I'm afraid I have to disagree. An acoustic instrument is a "done deal" - like a piano or violin - what you get is the finished product with no possible upgrade route.

In the case of the wavedrum, the interface (drum head) is the only acoustic part about it. The internal workings are electronic. The fact that there IS a micro SD that can be changed by the user (as Freestok has so astutely pointed out), makes it an illogical decision purely from a business perspective. The reason this is illogical from a business perspective is because it opens another route in which to generate revenue. More loops could be sold by simply selling the end user another chip. Software that's capable of editing the files on the chip could also be sold. Firmware updates could be provided by providing a downloadable file that could be placed on the chip and - depending on the update - could prompt the end user to purchase yet more software that only runs with the new update.

Bottom line, there's lots of ways to generate revenue by making the chip available to the end user to remove/update/replace. However, the way things are, there's no upgrade path short of returning the unit to Korg and being without it for a while.

I'm not criticizing Korg, I love the Wavedrum for what it is.... and its an absolute marvel of technology. However, as a business person myself, I would have chosen the route I described above to keep revenue going, and to ensure more sales purely by virtue of the end user knowing that s/he hasn't bought something that's "complete" such as a piano or violin which has no upgrade path - it is what it is. With the world economies in shambles, any and all revenue paths should be explored and/or implemented.
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is just a very savy move on Korgs part. The wave drum sells but now they see people are so into it they dig deeper. They now know that what we want and can mpove forward with a new version without guessing at it. I can't help but wonder if the next version won't have an easily reached memory card of some kind.
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I´m interested in getting 2 of these extension cords (maybe even 4 of them)

So I´m looking for people in Europe who are as well.

please mail me or answer in this thread with the number of cables you want.
This is a private ,non commercial thing and needs to be checked before.
razzaq1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in for one unit.
I'm in Reading, UK and I love the idea of custom loops.
My wife is Moroccan, and those people seem to be drumming experts from birth!
The tempo of the loops on board the WaveDrum can't be changed within the WaveDrum, and being able to make custom loops and load 'em up sounds like great news!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumpin this up also because it is a great. Thing to be able to do!
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freestok if I find a cable I will send you one! I watched the video again. I did find some on the net but still they want to sell in big lots. I know some where I will find one I will keep looking.
Slabwax

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Freestock,

Thanks for the video!! Its great to see all the underground development taking place with the wavedrum.

Are you able to load the rim algorithms to the head. I guess the Oriental sound files did not load that well into a silver wd.

Also how long of a loop can you load into any of the 140 spaces?

thanks
Slabwax
caris

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey freestok (and others), great job with the discovery of how to modify the wave drum, I'm very excited to see how this develops, and I hope to see progress toward how to load new PCM instruments and modify the algorithms/programs in the drum through this same interface since doing it through the WD itself seems so clunky.

I also like your modified oriental manual, thanks for posting, I am wondering if you could post an XLS or open type spread sheet of your modified charts in that manual, it would be great to have them to use for adding my own notes/ and use as I build my own programs on the drum.

Thanks! I'm very happy to have discovered this forum.
kennyclark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:37 am    Post subject: Custom Sounds Reply with quote

Can someone post me the WD2_DATA.BOR file and i will ask my programmer friend to try and decipher the format to allow the factory sounds themselves to be changed.

I am currently looking at buying a secondhand WD but cant help but feel the Mark II will address most of the current shortcomings although there is sometimes alot to be said for keeping things simple!
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazy things inside this file , Surprised
here for everybody to listen in *.wav format
http://www.speedyshare.com/files/30769051/vouces_at_1min14s.wav
kennyclark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: WD2_DATA.BOR Reply with quote

Hi WaterDrum

is it possible to post the file in its original format ie with .BOR extension

Cheers Kenny
kennyclark

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: WD2_DATA.BOR Reply with quote

OK i finally managed to get Firefox to play the wav( Safari obviously didn't think it was very musical), it appears to be all the vocalisations and not raw PCM samples of instruments so back to the drawingboard. Maybe the instrument aren't PCM and are all VI after all, although i imagine that its just that they inhabit some exotic file format. I will await the original file format to be posted.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

freestok wrote:
I also noticed that the manual that came in the box is the same as for the original version SILVER, and That a separate supplement is provided, that stuff myself having to look at book and of juggling two eyes to complete list sounds and loops, they are idlers among KORG or what? ... so I did it myself, and for those interested, I will put you in PDF page I created together a list of sounds PCM, programs, algorithms and loops for Wavedrum orientale

http://www.pandacreasite.com/wavedrum/WAVEDRUM_ORIENTAL_PERSONNEL.pdf

@freestok
Thanks for this! I don't know how I missed this when you first posted it. This is very useful. You are correct in suggesting that Korg should've offered it this way to begin with. I usually take the original sound list, copy it, resize it, and have it laminated (with the Program List on one side and the PCM List on the other) so that is durable, waterproof, etc.. But I haven't combined the two from the Silver and the Oriental, so this saves me some time and effort.

As you said, going back and forth between the original manual and the supplement is nonsensical and inconvenient. Thanks to you, this is no longer a problem! Smile
Panason

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jut noticed this, amazing. Thank you, freestok!

Can we back up and restore our settings by copying the content of the card and then copying it back if needed?

Is there anyone interested in this still? I am in Europe and can contribute €€ towards a group buy of needed components to get that SD card to a more accessible place, like beneath the drum?
Bertotti
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interested but cost prohibitive. I am going to pull apart a cell phone and see if it is possible to use it to extend the internal sd card. I don't want to desolder it and try to extend it untilll I know I can without messing it up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: