Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Change between exi and HD1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
groovysphere

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Change between exi and HD1 Reply with quote

Would be good be able to switch between exi and HD1 when creating a user generated sound without having to go to global settings to change the bank settings. A simple on screen drop down box to change between the two would be handy.
cynkh
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Change between exi and HD1 Reply with quote

groovysphere wrote:
Would be good be able to switch between exi and HD1 when creating a user generated sound without having to go to global settings to change the bank settings. A simple on screen drop down box to change between the two would be handy.

Yeah, definitely agree with that. It's just that the program architecture is so different between HD-1 and EXi programs that it would be probably make the machine inefficient enough to noticeably impact performance so there's a tradeoff there.
I think having the extra 7 banks with OS 1.5 will go a long way toward helping out with that situation since you'll be able to create at least one of each without sacrificing any presets in the Kronos.
Speaking of which, it would also be nice to be able to have a countdown to 1.5 or the VSTi... Oh well, guess I'll just twiddle with the Kronos until they come out!

Cheers!

Hardware:
Kronos 61, microKORG, MoPho, Rogue, Aira System-1, Aira TB-3, Aira TR-8, MC-202, TB-303, (KMS-30), Juno 6, Alpha-Juno 1 (PG-300), SH-201, MC-09, Virus TI Snow, K2000, MPC-1000, X-Station 25, MultiMix-16FW, Ableton Live Push

Software:
Logic Pro 9, Korg Legacy Collection, Komplete 8, vCollection 3, Sylenth1, microTonic
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Change between exi and HD1 Reply with quote

cynkh wrote:
groovysphere wrote:

Yeah, definitely agree with that. It's just that the program architecture is so different between HD-1 and EXi programs that it would be probably make the machine inefficient enough to noticeably impact performance so there's a tradeoff there.
I think having the extra 7 banks with OS 1.5 will go a long way toward helping out with that situation since you'll be able to create at least one of each without sacrificing any presets in the Kronos.
Speaking of which, it would also be nice to be able to have a countdown to 1.5 or the VSTi... Oh well, guess I'll just twiddle with the Kronos until they come out!

Cheers!

One time there was a building construction site making a very big building (for dutch understandings) with a countdown timer.
Good news: the building was finished exactly when the timer said 0 days
Bad news: when there was a delay, the timer was stopped for several days (sometimes weeks).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie here.

Is there a Mac OSX version of the PCG available.
I'm going mad trying to figure out basic 'Bank/file' structure of Kronos2.

Also can't figure how to access particular banks eg: a tutorial by Qui says "open an INIT from the HD1 bank"...I know how to make Combis and access 'sounds' 'programs' in basic mode, but can't see how to actually go to "HD1' engine or "EXi" engine for setting up a basic step sequencer or wave sequence...

I've seen youtube tutes showing how to program your own Step Sequence to use in Karma, instead of relying on the pre-written ones.

I know Karma is powerful, and intend to use it, but I prefer writing my own 'parts' / 'sequences' etc...seems a little less like Casio AutoAccompaniment.
These sequence sections are what I really want to explore, with bespoke / factory sounds.

All suggestions greatly appreciated...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is known for all of its different types of synthesis engines.

But you can just break all this down into 2 types:

1) the HD-1 engine, which is the traditional "rompler" which plays back multi-samples of mostly acoustic instruments, some samples of well-known synth waveforms, and drum kits. (This is the basic type of engine, and it's the only type you get in the cheaper Kross, for example).

2) the EXi engines, which are "synthesis" engines. These are everything else in the Kronos besides multi-sample playback, and these are the engines that create sounds from scratch -- the AL-1 virtual analog engine, the CX-3 organ modelling engine, the MOD7 FM engine, the Polysix, the SGX premium pianos, etc.

You'll notice that when you cruise through the banks, that some banks with empty programs are all labeled "Init Program" -- these banks can only hold rompler programs. Other banks have their empty programs labeled "Init EXi Program" -- these banks can only hold the "synth engine" type programs.

These bank types used to be hardcoded, but you can now change the type. This will help you follow Qui's tutorials if needed. Go to GLOBAL/Basic/Basic tab, then the upper right drop down to select "Set Program Bank Type" if you want to change, for example, bank User EE from the "Init Program" (HD1) type to instead hold programs that use the "synth engine" types (Init EXi Program).

In other words, each bank can only have either ALL HD1 programs, or else ALL "synth engine" types (EXi). You cannot mix and match a bank USER EE to hold both multisample type programs as well as synth engine programs.

Hope this at least helps clear up any confusion regarding engine types.
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I'm no expert on this section because I haven't explored it, but I believe I can help guide you at least).

Regarding programming your own original sequences versus using the powerful yet "auto-accompaniment" features of KARMA --

1) the HD-1 engine doesn't have a built-in sequencer.

2) Most of the "synth engine" types have a built-in sequencer. You can access this via the tabs Common ==> Modulation / Common Step Seq.

This built in sequencer allows you to enter step by step changes like an old school analog sequencer: 1 to 32 steps of note numbers, note durations (gate), and loop options. For example, Busch has included in his collection of cover classics a program that closely replicates the pattern of Sweet Dreams.

KARMA is very powerful, delving deep down into the nuts and bolts of the MIDI spec, but it can be overwhelming to the uninitiated (including me). Programming your own sequences using the synth engine parameters may be more what you're looking for.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
Newbie here.
I know Karma is powerful, and intend to use it, but I prefer writing my own 'parts' / 'sequences' etc...seems a little less like Casio AutoAccompaniment.
These sequence sections are what I really want to explore, with bespoke / factory sounds.

I have been thinking about what it sounds like you’re trying to accomplish. I think you want to program your own custom riffs, and play them back by holding down a key, perhaps with your left hand, while playing something else over top of it with the right hand.

Have you looked into the RPPR (real time pattern play and record) feature in the Kronos? This might be just what you’re looking for.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing HD-1 to EXi goes by the entire bank. Changing from program mode would be like switching a program away for the bank it was located in -
or changing the entire bank the program resides in.
Seems easier and less of a false hope scenario to just start in the right bank which can easily be custom assigned in global.
It is less steps involved in just selecting program bank list in program mode and entering the needed bank that way.

I don’t know a single global feature that is accessible from program mode, but i am not really saying that accessing global features from program mode is not useful.
Combi mode seems redundant when you have Sequencer mode with all the same features and beyond. But then, Sequencer does not boot up loaded with songs and i think there are a lot more combi slots than sequencer song slots.
Either way, i like having combi and sequencer separated which was how korg did it even before adding real audio tracks to sequencers. Back in Triton days it was sampling used to simulate audio tracks. I just went with D-3200 for external audio tracks and all the features that came with D-3200.

I know a lot of the features in global that i most often need to change in program mode, they come in Combi mode where i can make the setting per combi rather than globally. Midi filters, karma and so on.
From my perspective, it seems just as easy in combi to select a timbre program and choose the bank based on its predesignated HD-1 or EXi status.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
Newbie here.

I have been thinking about what it sounds like you’re trying to accomplish. I think you want to program your own custom riffs, and play them back by holding down a key, perhaps with your left hand, while playing something else over top of it with the right hand.

Have you looked into the RPPR (real time pattern play and record) feature in the Kronos? This might be just what you’re looking for.

Thanks again Lightbringer.
What you've described is partly what I'd like to be able to do. I'll check out the RPPR over the next day or two, amidst resetting my studio with the new Qu-16.

Just watching a Tube tute on RPPR basics in Krome, and it seems you can record your own pattern and assign it to a given 'note' on the keyboard to play as you suggested.
I'd like to be able to do this, but also have the 'riff / loop' I made change pitch/root as I play a different note on the keyboard. I think this is possible with step sequencing, but it's all still rather blurry for me.
It will take a lot of exploration and trial/error scenario to see what's possible.

I may well get a BSP anyway.
Shall report back anon...
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I could record many RPPR patterns for a particulasr song to acheive what I said above, but I'd like to be able to have it so it works for more live/jamming of ideas etc, if you follow me.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
I know I could record many RPPR patterns for a particulasr song to acheive what I said above, but I'd like to be able to have it so it works for more live/jamming of ideas etc, if you follow me.

I follow you at a high level, anyway. There are a bunch of different options. Each have their pros and cons. I guess it's a matter of knowing what all is available, and picking the best one (or combination) for the task at hand.

For yet another option, have a look at the hold delay, which you could use, for example, in the IFX section and control it with one of the Kronos's controllers. Effectively, a little ~5 second looper that can overdub and/or overwrite. Smile That one could be super spontaneous!
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Change between exi and HD1 Reply with quote

groovysphere wrote:

Why don't you just save an init Patch of each engine in Your Cue List then when you want to create a new sound you simply just select the slot in the Cue List where you stored them?

I've always had a selection of Init Progs/Combi/Seq slots in each cue list it saves having to keep switching modes and initialising everything every time,its just a case of a selecting a slot rather than several button presses to accomplish it,takes a few minutes to set up but once you've done it save it and its enhanced your workflow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: