Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Owner. A few specific function questions ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibreel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: New Owner. A few specific function questions ? Reply with quote

To anyone answering a big thanks. Bass player here and not a lot of tech knowledge. To those who have done all the learning work, huge props !!
Just want to know if the microsampler can at least do these functions. I have gotten part way there.

Import a wav drum loop. Have the loop play continuously. Be able to change tempo without the pitch changing. So far, I imported the loop and can play it continously but each key up or down changes the tempo and pitch and the tap tempo has no effect.

Import a wav drum loop. Have the loop play continuously. Be able to change tempo AND also change the pitch.

Can I sample a piano note through the mic and have it play pitch correct up and down the keyboard. Haven't gotten the mic to work yet.

So, obvious noobie here. Any help would be greatly appreciated !!
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Hmm what do I know..I often ask myself that ....anyway maybe I can offer a little info.

Piano thru mic: Hook up the mic - set the MS input to line in & adjust gain so that the LED by the big sampling button doesn't hit yellow or red at peak. Map like with like - as in e.g play a C4 & sample it to the corresponding C4 on the MS & resample every few semitones so that it doesn't chipmunk too noticeably.

Samples' duration & pitch are mutually dependent when played up & down the keyboard. Korg missed an opportunity with this - even 99p/69c iPad apps can now pitch stretch. But the MS does a lot well & importantly the sound quality is very good & eats the iPad for breakfast. Smile

To be able to map to tempo you need to break up your drumloop so that each beat is sampled onto different keys, this may not work so well if your drumloop sounds are offbeat as you may hear the cutoff. Or this may sound supercool depending on your ear/intentions.

Sample on the auto-next setting & nominate adjacent keys. RTM for this procedure in full. Then record into the sequencer a performance playing these keys to create a loop. On playback you can then adjust tempo. This is cool as you can not only recreate the original loop but also get creative with variations & fills.

Re pitch - can use the pitch fx tho found it a bit hit & miss & so haven't used this much. You can resample to fix the effect & add other fx. All in the manual. Also check out Rich F's sequencing video as it shows a drumloop being made from a key sequence & its easier to see/hear than read. (as I've just demonstrated LOL)

Hope that helps.
jibreel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your reply. It makes sense overall of course. A few of the functions I still have to learn.

What I want is basically is an ethnic instrument keyboard and an ethnic drum machine.

First I would like a standard keyboard function so that I can play East Indian Harmonium, piano and mid-eastern flute sounds. I would also like to be able to play other instruments such as Indian and mid-eastern flutes. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonium ]

Secondly, I want a world music ethno drum machine.
Perhaps 6 to 8 hand drums.
Perhaps 30 to 40 loops.
Single shot samples for each of the drums.

Mostly, I would want to be able to start a loop and then be able to change the BPM on-the-fly without changing the pitch so of course so it needs to have quality time stretching.

Pretty straightforward. Sounds like the looping is somewhat of an issue.
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - very good - but I agree you would find the MS a bit restricted for all that.

How about an ipad & MIDI Keyboard? Prob get one for not much more than the MicroSampler - then you can run all kinds of ethnic apps & samplers. SmapleWhiz does pitch stretching. Plus get the fabulous Animoog for 69c!!

Hardware-wise - I would be looking at something at Octatrack level - but that's pricey.
jibreel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again !! Yeah, the MS is on it's way back.
I will investigate the ipad. Good excuse to get one !!!
Also thinking of the Roland sp 606. It has 12 pads so I could assign individually sampled notes and play those with a midi keyboard. Very limited but for the live performances, it could work. And with it I would have great looping options.

Thanks again, I appreciate you taking the time !!
lloydsmith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smaplewhiz eh... must be this cold virus fuddling my brain.

No prob glad to help - should be able to go far with the SP - sometimes the right kind of restrictions aid creativity.

Enjoy your journey wherever it may take you Smile
jibreel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks and same to you !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: