Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AL-1 vs Virus question...?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos with my Virus TI Polar (taken with an iPhone 4s)
How can you compare? You should have both Cool

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Indigo!

Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BasariStudios wrote:
I love my Indigo!

Dig that pic! You look like the mad scientist! LOL
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
BasariStudios
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lolzzz...
Vlad_77

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sina172 wrote:
Morten'J wrote:
Sina172 wrote:
RonF wrote:
Sina172 wrote:

The one area where I truly disagree is the reverbs on the KRONOS vs. the Virus.

The O-Verb is the ONLY reverb I use. It is SO smooth, and so spacious that compared to some of the BEST Reverb processors (Think Bricasti, Lexicon 960L, and TC Electronics M6000), it sounds almost as good!

I don't see the Virus stack up to that level. Compare the SmoothHall Reverb on KRONOS and the Virus's Reverb, maybe. But I can't justy using the SmoothHall Reverb, when I have access to O-Verb.

Kind of like having access to a BMW 325i when you have access BMW 760Li.

Virus Reverbs are more like the 5-Series BMW's. It's not a 7, but still amazing in sound.

Sina

I hear you Sina.....for a traditional reverb application, the O-verb IS at Lexicon pro quality level, if tweaked correctly. However....its not an Eventide style of verb......meaning its not as much of a sound design tool as it is a spacial processor. For synth programming and patch design, I use a verb as an extra "oscillator" frequently... for this I stick with out board Eventide, which has a signature which is very distinct and unique amongst pro verb processors. Virus has some of these qualities in its verb.....O-verb is too clean for this application......in my opinion.

You have a good point here. Smile

The O-Verb is one of the cleanest sounding reverbs I've ever heard. But if you want a little "dirt" in your sound, it would take the dirt out because of how clean it is.

Eventide makes some CRAZY processors! They do have a very unique sound, and I totally get where your coming from now. Mr. Green And if I was to compare the Virus's effects to anything, it would definitely be Eventide, IMO.

I have to be honest, though:

Where I prefer the Virus's effects to the KRONOS is delay effects. Specifically BPM Delays. These can be a sub-oscillator in and of themselves, when applied the right way and would blend in SO well as if it was a part of the sound. I use the arps, the same way. And I almost ALWAYS use the Chord Mode and have it arpeggiate the chords I play.

When I combine this with some of the KRONOS combi's I have created, utilizing KARMA, WOW! I can get some CRAZY textures that I wouldn't be able to get with KRONOS alone.

And that's what I LOVE that about the Virus! The sound with the arps and effects, combined with the KRONOS really puts you in a place of possibilities you can't get anywhere else. IMO.

@ Morshu,

The Andremeda is a COMPLETELY different animal in the sense that it is a TRUE Analog Synth that happens to have digital controllers. So when you turn a knob, you see the values change on the display. It's got a VERY unique, analogue, technoish sound to it. But I find it somewhat limited. Not in features, but sonically its limited, IMO.

The Virus, while not as feature packed has a FAR greater sonic potential to the point where I just end up using the Virus, and when I need the analogue sound for a bassline, lead, or maybe a polysynth, that's when I go to the Andromeda.

Other than that, I prefer the Virus if I want a good synth to add-on to my KRONOS.

Sina

Also the build quality of Andromeda ,I find the knobs very bad ,I sold my Andromeda for a Virus TI Keyboard ,I did try to get a Elka Synthex but cost alot.

Look forward to Korg Kronos61

The Elka Synthex! MY GOD WHAT A SYNTH! Shocked

I have been on the quest for a few of these since last year!

Haven't even found ONE, just yet. That thing is a DREAM to own! Just like the KRONOS/OASYS and how I LOVE them over just about everything else as a whole. This is another one of those synths!

I HAVE to find AT LEAST 4 of them soon! And I'll pay $15,000 for each one in mint condition with MIDI built-in. That's not an issue for me. The issue is finding even ONE! Laughing

Sina

Sina,

You HAVE to have at LEAST FOUR??!! All due respect brother but how in the name of Heaven will you ever find time to compose when you are exploring all of these synths and workstations? I mean, good on ya mate, but I just cannot imagine the logistics of your setup(s). I have enough problems with my quite humble setup.

That said, I am really looking forward to hearing your music with your complete arsenal when your studio is done. With all of that equipment you will put every band and orchestra out of business.

BTW, have you or will you add a Fairlight CMI (the new one that is in production)?

Ahimsa,
Vlad
Current gear: Kronos, Jupiter 80, Kurzweil PC3,Roland Fantom X8, Roland XV-88 (yep, its old, but the ACTION is heaven and those XV-3080 sounds are still wonderful for me), Radias-R, Motif ES (yeah it's older but I love the guitars Wink )
Sina172
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Sina172 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
anticipation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Idea
why nobody posts a video which both Kronos and Virus is nearby and trying to pretend the each other's signature sounds by programming their own engines...

I have the Kronos but don't have a Virus out here. Also I'm not so good at programming analog synthesis...

We see here lots of experts but...........
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to most workstations, the Kronos is actually pretty great for learning standard subtractive/analog synthesis. Polysix is very accessible for a beginner yet offers a lot of sonic potential, especially with the "extra" options in the Kronos compared to the original. I can really recommend learning what the different parts in Polysix do, and how to alter them to get what you want. Nearly all those principles carry over to MS20, AL1, and some extent HD1 and STR1.
kimu
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i owned Virus Rack and TI2 and M3 with Radias Card.

as VA, virus is far better then Radias sounding-wise, further, plenty of knobs helps in sound programming.
i just tried kronos in shop for a couple of hours, AL-1 is a really good VA engines but still is not at the same level of other VA like Virus. most of AL-1 sounds due lots to the IFX chains.

to tell the truth i sold my TI2 to come back to Virus Rack, i prefer its less-clean and less-perfect sound

http://rsto.bandcamp.com/album/constellation - Free download of "Constellation"
http://www.youtube.com/user/RedShiftingTheOceans
http://soundcloud.com/kimuz
anticipation

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, I will write this post till someone response...

why nobody posts a video which both Kronos and Virus is nearby and trying to pretend the each other's signature sounds by programming their own engines...

I have the Kronos but don't have a Virus out here. Also I'm not so good at programming analog synthesis...
LivePsy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually don't know the limits of the AL-1 engine, but I have tweaked every corner of the Virus TI. The Kronos AL-1 is so unfriendly making you change pages constantly, edit by entering only numbers one at a time, frequently changing the edit field. You cannot alter 2 parameters at once which is essential when they interract. The control surface doesn't help you much unless you change the page to see the parameters, and who hasn't turned the knobs with them on the wrong control function! This is disaster of a thing to program.

The AL-1 may be all the TI is and a whole lot more, but I don't care. I am not going to program it enough to find out. Life is too short to struggle with the AL-1. The MS20 and Poly I get by with pointing at parameters with the right hand and moving the slider to change values with the left. That's awful but doable.

B
QuiRobinez
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

anticipation wrote:

i have a virus ti keys next to my kronos. But your question doesn't make much sense so i doubt that you will ever see such a video. The main issue with comparison videos like this is that the virus ti can sound quite different based on the soundset you use in the virus ti. For instance when you listen to the presets of Richard Devine in the virus ti then you will notice that they sound completely different than the Vengeance presets. So whatever video will be made i doubt that you will hear the sounds you are after, since it's completely unclear what kind of sounds you are looking for.

So post some youtube videos with virus ti examples of the sounds you want to show at least what you mean.

Also keep in mind that not everything is possible on a kronos, so there are sounds in the virus ti that can't be reproduced in the kronos. For instance sounds based on the virus ti Granular Oscillator can't be recreated on the kronos without the help of sampling, also the wavetables presets are difficult because you have to copy the wavetables from the Virus to the create a wavesequenced library of your own.

Furthermore a huge part of the virus sound is the lack of lower EQ in the sound. The virus ti is not a bass synthesizer and it's extremely strong in the mid area of the sound which gives it that specific flavor. Also keep in mind that sounds based on Distortion are hard to create on the kronos due to the fact that the distortion effect on the kronos isn't that great.

So as you see it's not a matter of creating a simple comparison video, there are a lot of things you have to take in account to get the sounds you want.

My opinion, if you want the Virus sound, then buy a Virus instead of a kronos, for the dance sounds i like (trance and more modern sounds like calvin Harris) the Kronos can do anything i want, but i also have a lot of more grittier sounds on the virus ti that can't be replicated on the kronos without the help of samples or by using external effects on my DAW.

If you have a computer based setup an alternative would be to buy the VST Lennard Digital Sylenth 1. It's a great companion to the kronos for dance sounds with lots of signature dance sounds in the library.
NuSkoolTone
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure I just need to spend more time with it, but every time I mess with AL-1 is just sounds cold and sterile to me. Really wish that sub osc could be a true 3rd Osc! Would go a long way!
Corgy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anticipation wrote:

I own a Virus TI-2 Keyboard and play it together with my Kronos. As Qui says, it is important, what sounds you are after. There are thousands of free patches for the Virus - also signature sounds - directly via the Access web-site. So, where to begin comparing. I like the sounds of Howard Scarr most, because they are very flexible and Howard provides aftertouch and expression capability very often. But it's my personal taste...

The Virus TI series provides very different oscillator modes, 8 modes are available and VA is only one of them:

- classic (VA compares to most 3-oscill. synths)
- hyper-saw (not in Kronos)
- wavetable (not in Kronos)
- wavetable PWM (not in Kronos)
- grain (simple/comlex, not in Kronos)
- formant (simple/complex, not in Kronos)

You see - Virus is an ideal companion to the Kronos, because it provides a different world of sounds. "Comparing" the both to each other is quite difficult and might make - under a general point of view - no sense at all. Both generate world class sound - only different.

Why not watching some of the videos at: http://www.virus.info/tutorialvideos and get an impression, what is special to the Virus.

Last edited by Corgy on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: