Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Call Me Crazy But . . .

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Call Me Crazy But . . . Reply with quote

I need to fly, well actually I don' t need to, but really really pwant to take my K61 with me back and forth on an airplane. I know I know I'm nutz Wacky for even thinking about it. But you hard core giggers out there, how does the K61 travel, in a top of the line Road case?? Case recommendations, anyone?

I have my M3 there, and the K61 here, but don't want to be away from the K61 for months at a time. Many of you know exactly what I'm talking about too. I don't know if I could deal with the separation anxiety.

I already have to leave the JP80 behind since it is an absolute beast, and probably will err on the side of absolute caution on the K61, but wanted the collective wisdom of the group. TIA.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take my Jupiter with me everywhere. As long as you take due care and use a good case you should have no issue with the Kronos.
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
I take my Jupiter with me everywhere. As long as you take due care and use a good case you should have no issue with the Kronos.

Really?? Air travel? What kind/brand of case. I was thinking a Gator GKPE61-TSA? My main worry of course is baggage handlers drop kicking the case.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use skb cases and extra inserts when needed. I have taken the Jupiter on several domestic flights already with no issue.
aron
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would use an SKB case I guess. I haven't tried anything other than that. I know that for most flights you will not pay the overage (unlike larger 76 note keyboards).

My Kurzweil PC361 is exactly 50 pounds, so the Kronos is 3 pounds less.
EXer
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Call Me Crazy But . . . Reply with quote

JuneauUnderground wrote:
Call Me Crazy But

I won't call you crazy, but I'll warn you: United breaks guitars.

And all companies break keyboards.
Phabius

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And all companies break keyboards.

Ditto!!!

(I just cannot resist topics about those stupid baggage handlers!)

Well I had a severely damaged Triton Extreme 61 inside a SKB case, in London.
Six keys, a Knob, and the Joystick, all at the same time (Joystick was replaced two weeks before, after a similar "monkey" attack in Northeast Brazil). It seems the top of the SKB case can bend down if something heavy is placed upon it. But in that particular case it was dropped upside down, I saw it from the plane window and, oh never mind.......

I still have the SKB 61 here, the Kronos fits, but its tight. I fear for the 9 knobs and the joystick. If its dropped upside down or something heavy is placed over the case, these items WILL BREAK for sure!

And I cannot remember how many times the side panels of my Extreme 76 were hit (this one inside a metal Flight Case!). They were replaced three times, when they just became so smashed that the keyboard structure started to be unstable, almost falling appart (then I replaced the panels)...

So my Kronos 61 will be travelling in a heavy duty flight case, no less. I will order one, on demand, with my specifications.
Be careful with foam density, it should be well balanced. Look for large pieces of foam at the inner sides and back (those guys like to drop the cases on their sides), no less than 7cm with medium/high density foam. And take special precautions with the joystick and knobs/sliders (maybe custom crafted pieces of foam tied to the inner top of the case, which can hold the keyboard in its place, so if the case is placed upside down the weight of the whole thing won't be on the fragile controls.

And hehehehe, as I did... Write "IT'S UPSIDE DOWN!!! PLEASE TURN OVER!!!" at the BOTTOM of the case, instead of writing "This Side Up" at the top (if its upside down, nobody will notice the sign at the other side). It was the last thing I've tried to avoid the stupidity of those bastards...

Actually what I do now is a lot of praying before every flight so God can protect my gear.
Korg MS-20 Kit, Korg MS-20 mini, Korg KingKorg, Korg Volca Series (Beats, Bass, Keys), Korg Kronos 61, Korg X50, Korg Triton Extreme 76 (96MB RAM, MOSS), Korg MS2000B, Korg monotron series (classic, duo, delay), Korg monotribe, Kawai K5000W, Nord Stage 88, Nord Electro 2, Nord Modular G2X, Nord Lead 3, Novation X-Station, iPad 3, iPad 4, iPad Air

www.removesilence.com
McHale
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fly keyboards a few times a year. Even when they are being "gentle" they destroy keyboards. They drop them from a foot or so high. The case can keyboard will look fine but don't be surprised to see keys popped out of place, electronics damaged, screen damage, etc.

I wouldn't fly one of my keyboards now if a job depended on it. If I get a job that requires flight, I put in my contract that they provide my keyboard and I give them a couple options (Triton, M50, M3, Kronos) as mandatory. 73/76 keys or greater. Or, I'll call around and find someplace that rents keys and make arrangements to rent it myself and tack that cost on to my fee.

If you love your keyboard, don't fly it.
Current Korg Gear: KRONOS 88 (4GB), M50-73 (PS mod), RADIAS-73, Electribe MX, Triton Pro (MOSS, SCSI, CF, 64MB RAM), SQ-64, DVP-1, MEX-8000, MR-1, KAOSSilator, nanoKey, nanoKontrol, 3x nanoPad 2, 3x DS1H, 7x PS1, FC7 (yes Korg, NOT Yamaha).
DennyC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the baggage handlers are truly that brutal, I wouldn't take a chance with the Kronos...it probably woudn't fare well with the sudden impact syndrome.
I haven't flown with a keyboard in a long time and it is sad that the handlers can't treat keys with some respect. Good luck. I think you are going to try anyway. Smile
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok . . . I'm convinced. I am either going to suffer the pangs of Kronos withdrawal or i am going to buy another Kronos 61 and have it shipped to Alaska. What the hell, why not have two. Besides if I can ever get to where I am not traveling back and forth I can certainly sell one of the K61's. The way I figure it, its not a matter of if, but when the K61 is going to get busted by the airlines if I travel wih it, and repairs ain't cheap. Thank you all for your input. The title of this thread posed the question. . . But I'm cured now.
RonF
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, I would set myself up with a "system" in both locations. I'd buy two!
Favorite Gear: Kronos 61, M3, Z1, Radias, KPro, KP3, Moog Voyager, Foogers, Virus TI, Jupiter 80, Integra7, GAIA, SPD-30, Kiwi 106, RE-201, MC808, RC505, MV8800, DSI P6 and OB6 and P12, Ensoniq SQ80, EMU MP-7, Eventide H7600, Eclipse, SPACE, Pitchfactor, Timefactor, Looperlative LP-1, Axe FX Ultra, Nord Modular, DSI Tetra, Tempest, PEK, JDXA, Eurorack Modular, Octatrack, MDUW, Monomachine, A4, RYTM, Waldorf Q Phoenix, MWXTk, Blofeld, TR8.
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague of mine does it fairly regularly with his smaller than 88 key boards.
But he just whines long enough that he can bring it in the cabin, they always have room to stash one keyboard somewhere.
They tend to not like it, but he puts his foot down and swears it was agreed upon.
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SanderXpander wrote:
A colleague of mine does it fairly regularly with his smaller than 88 key boards.
But he just whines long enough that he can bring it in the cabin, they always have room to stash one keyboard somewhere.
They tend to not like it, but he puts his foot down and swears it was agreed upon.

Well thats not going o happen in my case for sure! The flights from here to there are always full, and I mean always and full, all seats occupied. I see Kronos #2 in my near future.
John Hendry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:47 am    Post subject: Just throw it away....it's OK Reply with quote

Mechanically speaking a case can be designed to allow a 5 foot drop, even if thrown....twice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmjSgzphHg0

If a case does not allow the energy to be absorbed then the energy will be applied elsewhere so the foam damping used is extremely important as well as the shell that ideally should give a little. If you look at this case it doesn't look like much protection....but the shell gives a little and they used the right dampening foam. I have two flight cases and they both use the wrong type of foam and I plan on replacing it before using them again, but expensive to do. If the case looks good then whats inside should not be damaged if properly designed which means room is needed inside a really hard shell case so the dampening foam can do it's job. I don't like the way this case looks as it looks rather weak with the straps and all, but I like the design using the straps to allow the energy to move around not through the keyboard. Smart company....simple solutions.

John^^
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: