Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Views on DAWs: Cubase or Pro Tools?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
korgvuer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Views on DAWs: Cubase or Pro Tools? Reply with quote

Hello, folks. I have a quick question. Currently I use Cubase 6 for recording & mixing, and WaveLab 7 for mastering. I have my eye on some M Audio equipment and am thinking about getting Pro Tools DAW software to use instead for compatibility reasons; however, Cubase will work with the equipment I am considering to purchase. Any thoughts about preferences between Cubase and Pro Tools and perhaps some reasons why? Thanks in advance.
Zeroesque

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one time, I liked Pro Tools for audio editing and Cubase for MIDI and mixing. When Nuendo came out it was like the best of all worlds, to me. Since Cubase has basically mirrored Nuendo for a while now, I use the latest version of Cubase for everything (though I haven't used Pro Tools for several versions).
kingtj

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Views on DAWs: Cubase or Pro Tools? Reply with quote

I'm interested to see what people say about this, too. It's been a while since I took a very good look at various packages for recording/mastering. I know a few years ago, the general opinion I heard on the "pro audio" type forums was a dislike of Pro Tools. People seemed to feel it had the most recognized name/branding so most big recording studios would make a point of advertising they had Pro Tools available -- but in reality, it wound up rarely used at many of them.

The last time I looked at it, I recall Pro Tools seeming to have a little bit more user-friendly interface that might appeal to someone who hadn't worked a lot with computer DAWs before. However, it seemed to lack the variety of plug-ins available for other products.

I know a lot of M-Audio gear seems to be bundled with Pro Tools because they offer a special version of the product that only works with M-Audio gear. Probably a nice way to get a good recording setup at a reasonable price -- but the savings might evaporate quickly if you upgrade your hardware in the future.

korgvuer wrote:
Hello, folks. I have a quick question. Currently I use Cubase 6 for recording & mixing, and WaveLab 7 for mastering. I have my eye on some M Audio equipment and am thinking about getting Pro Tools DAW software to use instead for compatibility reasons; however, Cubase will work with the equipment I am considering to purchase. Any thoughts about preferences between Cubase and Pro Tools and perhaps some reasons why? Thanks in advance.
optofonik

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Tools for compatibility in commercial environments and to impress upon clients such compatibility and whatever software you're comfortable with in your private studio. This discussion won't change in the foreseeable future.

A good analogy regarding Pro Tools' ubiquity in professional audio involves a company called Kino Flo, a lighting instrument manufacturer. Kino Flo and Avid were both established in 1987 and both companies' products have risen to such prominence that they are now professional industry standards in their respective categories. Pro Tools' install base in professional audio is as established and rock solid as Kino Flo is in the professional lighting industry. However, even though Kino Flo dominates it's category it is still only one of many tools in use; HMI lighting instruments aren't going to disappear any time soon and LED panels are coming showing up more and more.

If you're aspirations are commercial you should own PT, Logic, and/or Cubase/Nuendo at the very least. If you're interested in compatibility with outside studios for your own endeavors then PT should be a consideration there also, however, any commercial studio that you bring your work to should be able to handle sessions from all the aforementioned software companies. As always, it's just one person's opinion.

Mick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Sequencers / Audio recording packages. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: