Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I get more than 3 octaves with a midi keyboard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
decauxq

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Can I get more than 3 octaves with a midi keyboard? Reply with quote

If I'm midi'ing in from a 5 octave keyboard and using something like a piano sample, is there any way to get the notes that are lower and higher than the 3 octaves on the sampler?
korgtech

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Provided the microSAMPLER is in "Keyboard" mode, yes, it will respond from notes 0 to 127.

Hope that helps.
3sleeves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@korgtech Any chance you could expand on that answer? There isn't exactly documentation on that subject and trial and error has not gotten me to the point of understanding. Notes 0 to 127? isn't that dealing with velocity, not pitch range? Please explain or direct me towards some details. Thanks.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3sleeves wrote:
@korgtech Any chance you could expand on that answer? There isn't exactly documentation on that subject and trial and error has not gotten me to the point of understanding. Notes 0 to 127? isn't that dealing with velocity, not pitch range? Please explain or direct me towards some details. Thanks.

MIDI is based on seven bit numbers, which provides a range of 0-127 for virtually all numbers.

When you send a note, it sends 'note on' message type, then note number (0-127), and velocity (0-127).

127 is a lot of notes and some are musically useless but it pretty much corresponds to the range of human hearing on a musical scale. note number 60 is middle C (or middle A? I forget).

Anyway, what korgtech is saying is that in the MS's "keyboard" mode, you will have the pitch of a sample stretched across all keys.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
3sleeves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but I understand that Keyboard mode puts a sample across 3 octaves. I thought korgtech's answer implied that there was a way to play more than the 3 octaves by using an external controller, which is what decauxq asked earlier. I haven't found that to be possible with any setup I've tried so far and there isn't any documentation that I can find explaining how to achieve such a setup. Do you know if it is possible and if so, can you explain how? What controller would be needed and what would the settings on the MS need to be? Please let me know if you can help. Thank you.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have an MS unfortunately. Korgtech or someone else should hopefully be able to help.

Are you saying that, connecting any normal MIDI keyboard connected to the MIDI IN of the MS, set to transmit on the same channel as the MS receives on (default channel 1), still only responds to the MS' 3 octave range in keyboard mode, regardless of the number of keys or transposition settings?

I get the impression from korgtech's post that you should simply be able to plug in any MIDI keyboard or even sequence note data that goes beyond the MS' 3 octave range - e.g. a 61 or 76 note keyboard, or just a 3 or 2 octave keyboard transposed outside of the MS' normal range. Only in keyboard mode of course.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
3sleeves

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it. It only lets me play the pitched sample across 3 octaves.

@korgtech Please elaborate a little.
korgtech

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3sleeves, as X-Trade explained (brilliantly, may I add!) the microSAMPLER will respond to more than the 3 octaves its own keyboard has. The microSAMPLER keyboard itself is only a MIDI controller, for all intents and purposes.

I set the microSAMPLER to "Keyboard" mode, selected a sample and it could be triggered by either the microSAMPLER's own keyboard or an external MIDI controller. As the sample is streched across all keys, with the external MIDI controller, I could also play the notes which are out of the microSAMPLER's range (below and above).

You will, of course, have to ensure the microSAMPLER's "KB.MIDI.CH" setting (in Global) and the external MIDI controller's transmit MIDI channel are set to the same value.

Perhaps you should elaborate on what exact MIDI controller you are using and how you have the 2 connected and setup.

By the way, there is documentation. It's called MIDI Implementation Chart (http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/microsampler/support/microSAMPLER_MIDIChart_E1.pdf)
3sleeves

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks korgtech. I'm using an old eKeys49 controller directly to the MIDI in on the MS. Just got it working this evening...sort of (transpose buttons are giving odd results, but modulation wheel works on samples now). My controller has no visual interface and the MS only displays its own settings, so figuring out how to select the MIDI out channel on the controller was my problem I guess. The odd thing is that from my software controllers (FLStudio, EnergyXT, AcidPro) I couldn't send on the right channel either. I have studied that MIDI implementation chart and the manual has one as well. This is all foreign to me though as I mostly just use a sampler or loop pedal and live instruments for the bulk of my music. Thanks again for the helpful response. Peace.
keem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still not gettin it.
im using microsampler to control the notes on my microkorg. still if microsampler can play all 127 notes i dont know how. for example im using a patch ive made that is set one octave below the default.
still when i play using the microsampler the microkorg plays the notes in the default octave.
where can i change the octave in the microsampler in keyboard mode to transmit below the 48-84 range? thx
Re-Member
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keem wrote:
im still not gettin it.
im using microsampler to control the notes on my microkorg. still if microsampler can play all 127 notes i dont know how. for example im using a patch ive made that is set one octave below the default.
still when i play using the microsampler the microkorg plays the notes in the default octave.
where can i change the octave in the microsampler in keyboard mode to transmit below the 48-84 range? thx

The microSTATION's keys are set in stone. There's no octave shift function or anything like that. All the info posted so far has been about using a different keyboard to access more notes on the microSTATION, not the other way around.

Now, if there is a way to manually adjust the actual pitch or oscillators on the microKORG, you can get the range of keys you want. You will want to drop it down by -12 or -24. The octave shift buttons don't actually adjust the pitch of patch, only the keys for the microKORG itself.
Roland Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, MC-505, Casio CZ-101, Yamaha DX100, DX11, Kawai R-50e // Korg R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, minilogue, electribe sampler, Volca series: Bass, Keys, Beats, Sample, FM, Kick, Moog Theremin
keem

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah that worked perfectly. everything is ok now. thx for the help : )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: