Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evolving effect and tips. "Basic" ( Triton )

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Evolving effect and tips. "Basic" ( Triton ) Reply with quote

Ok, this time it a very simple and very basic tutorial. If this is to easy for you, don’t worry I’ll get you with the next one…LOL.

Programming CC#74 Control.

Evolving effect and tips.

Here’s a cool and very basic programming effect that can be accomplished with simple use of the Triton’s menus. Chances are you’ve been messing around with this is real-time. But this will show you how to apply it to your sequences, even after you recorded everything.

CTRL 74 is actually Real-time knob 1 movement.
Start by programming a simple rift into your Triton on track 1 for around 8 measures long. Now go to page 5 and select “Create Control Data” from the pull down menu.

Set the Control change number to 074 start 000 end 127.
Set the “From Measure” to 001 and the “To Measure” to 003.
Set the Beat Tick for the “From Measure” to 01.000 and the Beat Tick for the “To Measure” to 04.191

What this is saying to the Triton is that we would like to apply Knob 1 movement perfectly smooth and balanced from the full left position to the full right position from measure 1 to the end of measure 3.
Press OK.

Now play back your song. You should now hear your sound evolving.
Not to reverse this. Go back to “Create Control Data” from the pull down menu.
Set the “From Measure” to 004 and the “To Measure” to 008.
Set the Beat Tick for the “From Measure” to 01.000 and the Beat Tick for the “To Measure” to 04.191
And finally make sure that the “Control Change No” is set to 074, but this time set the Start Value to 127 and the End to 000.
Press OK.

Now play back your song from the start. You should hear the sound you used evolving and then devolving.

Some great tips for these kind off effects are to use insert effects that also evolve. Effects like Phaser and flanger would like a dream.

Rather than explaining how these can be applied, I think its easier to understand what I’m explaining by actually listening to everything I’ve explained here, including the effects.

So, download this zip file   http://www.irishacts.com/support/tutorials/cc74-demo.zip  extract it and load all data into your Triton. This will load 3 new sounds into your E bank, a demo sequence into the sequencer, and a new drum kit into the global mode. When you’ve loaded all data, just play song 000 Demo of CC#74. Also have a look at what effects I’m using to add to the evolving effect. At measure 12 you will hear the rift mute. When it comes back at measure 13, I’ve changed to CC#016 to show what other effects can be applied.
And yes you can mix a few at the same time if you like.

Also check out the mixer on page 1. Because it’s a background rift that I’ve programmed, there are also a one or two things that you can simply do get a great effect. One extremely common one would be to program in random pan control data. Thankfully on the Triton you don’t have to do this of your looking for the basic effect. All you need to do is touch the pan knob on the screen, and spin it to RND. Job done.

Anyway…enough talking. Download this (  http://www.irishacts.com/support/tutorials/cc74-demo.zip  )  and listen for yourself before you start making your own.

Daz
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Evolving effect and tips. (Basic) Reply with quote

Thats a great tutorial, thanks, very interesting. I have yet to really embrace the Triton sequencer (I use Cubase mainly), and wasn't aware you could do this kind of thing on it.

CC#74 on most VA synths equates to the filter cutoff control, so if you route the output of the track you recorded using this technique to an external synth (by changing the track output from INT to EXT) you can create some great filter sweeps. I must try this actually because this technique could be used in a fashion similar to the modulation sequencers on synths like the Waldorf Q, and Korg MS2000.

I have tried the Triton sequencer a few times, and have certainly found that it sounds really tight timing wise, compared to routing MIDI to it, and syncing it to external clock. I just find the environment a bit difficult to work with after the very visual experience of using Cubase.

Daz.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Classic Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: