Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KeyGate sampling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickWills

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: KeyGate sampling Reply with quote

Hi,

Just got my microsampler yesterday, and I'm liking it apart from one thing. When sampling a song in keygate mode, say an 8 bar phrase which I'd like to cut up into to two beat samples, you have to leave a gap between the letting go of one key and the pressing down of the next one, which means I can never get the full 2 beats on each key, there's a little gap. If I press down the next key while still holding down the previous one, it does not start recording on to this new key, and when I let go of the previous ones it 'awaits' trigger meaning I've missed a bit of the sample.

So, is there any way to get it so that when I press down the next key in keygate mode it starts sampling to that key while I'm still holding down the previous key, in the same way that if you've got a mono synth, as soon as you press down the next note the previous one stops playing and the new one starts simultaneously, legato. Or any similar solutions.

Any help greatly appreciated,
cheers
Telengard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to use "Auto Next" Sampling. See page 25 in the manual.

Here is an excerpt:

"Auto Next" allows you to select multiple keys on which to sample the data.

Selecting multiple keys
If you’ve set the microSAMPLER to sample on multiple keys, sampling will
begin with the left-most of the selected keys. When the specified TIME
(☞p.24 “TIME (Sampling Time)”) has elapsed, sampling on the first key
will end, and the next key will be armed for sampling. Once the input
again exceeds the TRIGGER (☞p.24) THRESHOLD, sampling will begin
on the next key you had selected for sampling.
When sampling has been completed all the way to the right-most of the
keys selected for sampling, sampling will continue from the left-most of
the keys selected for sampling.

And from site:

Auto-Next sampling for capturing phrases as multiple samples. For grabbing a groove as separate samples on individual keys, choose the AUTO NEXT mode and use Tap Tempo to match the BPM of the source material. The microSAMPLER will automatically divide the sample equally across multiple keys. Each key can be set to capture anything from a 64th note to a full two measures. This method lets you automatically perform the same type of sampling as KEY GATE.
NickWills

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply.

I don't think autonext will help me here though, as it only chops in equal divisions or at very pronounced changes in the waveform, not so good for subtle chops.

I think the only way round it is to develop incredibly quick fingers with the keygate mode or sample the whole sample in gate mode, resample it across the keys, then adjust the start/end point of each one.

If anyone from Korg reads this, updating the keygate sampling mode would be a huge improvement!
Telengard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I am misunderstanding you then. Couldn't you use "auto next" and pick four keys then set the time to 2 bars so that your 8 bar loop will become 2 bars on each key? Obviously, the bmp of the sample would have to match the microSAMPLER to make sure the timing was right.

Please note as I haven't done this myself, so I am just trying to help and learn at the same time.
tonidude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telengard wrote:
Maybe I am misunderstanding you then. Couldn't you use "auto next" and pick four keys then set the time to 2 bars so that your 8 bar loop will become 2 bars on each key? Obviously, the bmp of the sample would have to match the microSAMPLER to make sure the timing was right.

Please note as I haven't done this myself, so I am just trying to help and learn at the same time.

Indeed, as far as I understood from my one month of playing with the Microsampler (before returning it to the store), you can tempo sync and just use auto next, but even with shorter sampling, of course it drifts quite a lot. I found the manual keying to be more accurate and I almost got good results on the first time, good enough to not have to trim the loops (especially as I don't play them fully, it doesn't matter if they're a bit too long). But yes, I didn't find a way to bypass that annoying fingering issue either, technique helps a bit (use different hands for the different keys).
NickWills

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why'd you sell your microsampler, out of curiosity?

also, do you korg veterans reckon an electribe EMX 1 would compliment it nicely? MS for samples, electribe for drums, could also put the samples through the emx1 seeing as you can use 3 effects at a time as opposed to 1 and u can take advantage of the tubes.

also, forgive my poor poor knowledge of MIDI, but, once you've sampled something into the MS, is it now midi data? I ask as I'm wondering if it would be possible to sample drums on the MS, then use the step sequencer on the emx to sequence em, again out of curiosity.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg microSampler All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: