Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rob0214

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I've had my Triton for a while, just never really delved into some of the more advanced things. Just played it with tweaking a few parameters. So, I'm not a total newbie Razz

Anyway, I had a couple of questions if someone could help me answer:

1) is there a parameter editor/librarian for the Triton? I'd prefer a ProTools plug in so I can do it on a session by session basis. I've seen MidiQuest and Unisyn, but I was hoping for something a little cheaper (or free). I'm also running Mac OSX 10.6, so Unisyn is out anyway.

2) i've seen all the various PCG files available. Is there any tool (possibly combined with #1 above) that can load them via Midi SysEx instead of disk? Looking at the SysEx implementation, it seems like it shouldn't be very hard to do. It would also let me just have the files on my Mac to upload on demand.

3) Is there that much of a performance difference in upgrading the memory?

I probably will have more questions, but that's all I can think of for right now
Laughing

-- Rob
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. You can use Aldan Library / Muse Tools or PCG Tools (see more info in my signature).

2. Aldan Library works with Sysex. However sometimes using PCG files can be easier (i.e. to copy from one PCG to another).

3. If you mean the synth works fast: no. Memory is only used for storing samples.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rob0214

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
1. You can use Aldan Library / Muse Tools or PCG Tools (see more info in my signature).

2. Aldan Library works with Sysex. However sometimes using PCG files can be easier (i.e. to copy from one PCG to another).

3. If you mean the synth works fast: no. Memory is only used for storing samples.

Aldan doesn't appear to support the Triton, and they're both Windows programs Crying or Very sad

Yes, I know I can run Parallels/Wine, etc. I saw the thread where it was discussing why Mac users don't want to do that. Personally, I don't care which OS I run (I run Windows, Linux, and OSX). It's just that given how finicky DAWs can be, I'd rather not have the resources taken away/the possibility of a crash during a session.

I know Pro Tools (and most DAWs probably) can record SysEx messages. I wonder if there's a way to load a PCG, and have the Triton dump the equivalent SysEx message. I know I've done something like that with a Midi Sniffer with other gear to load patches.
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob0214 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Aldan doesn't appear to support the Triton, and they're both Windows programs Crying or Very sad

Yes, I know I can run Parallels/Wine, etc. I saw the thread where it was discussing why Mac users don't want to do that. Personally, I don't care which OS I run (I run Windows, Linux, and OSX). It's just that given how finicky DAWs can be, I'd rather not have the resources taken away/the possibility of a crash during a session.

I know Pro Tools (and most DAWs probably) can record SysEx messages. I wonder if there's a way to load a PCG, and have the Triton dump the equivalent SysEx message. I know I've done something like that with a Midi Sniffer with other gear to load patches.

Yes sorry you are right about Aldan Librarian.

Someone is busy with porting PCG Tools to an internet application which also should run on a Mac but he just started and has limited features yet in comparison with PCG Tools.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
rob0214

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michelkeijzers wrote:
rob0214 wrote:
michelkeijzers wrote:

Yes sorry you are right about Aldan Librarian.

Someone is busy with porting PCG Tools to an internet application which also should run on a Mac but he just started and has limited features yet in comparison with PCG Tools.

Doesn't help with SysEx dumps though, I imagine Smile

I'll go see if I can figure out another way.

But, let me back up first. Looking at the Triton SysEx documentation, it can be given:

Code:

(2) CURRENT PROGRAM PARAMETER DUMP REQUEST                              R
        F0, 42, 3b, 50          Excl Header
        10                      Function
        00                      Reserved
        F7                      End of Excl
(Receives this message, and transmits Func=40 or Func=24 message)

(11) PROGRAM WRITE REQUEST                                              R
        F0, 42, 3g, 50          Excl Header
        11                      Function
        0000 0bbb               Write Program Bank      (*4)
        0ppp pppp               Write Program No.
        F7                      End of Excl
(Receives this message, write the data and transmits Func=21 or Func=22
message)

Is this data the same that is contained in a PCG file? Or is that just the parameters, not the underlying samples?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples are not contained in the PCG nor in the SYSEX messages.

A PCG file contains generally all programs/combis/global info (or a selected part of it).

Sysex messages only receive or sends a small portion.

Both have advantages/disadvantages.
Sysex messages advantages:
- public format (i.e. not proprietary)
- directly changed in the synth

PCG advantages:
- Access of multiple PCG files (depending on app's features)
- No synth needed

rob0214

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, ok, I think a lightbulb went on in my head.

Samples are the base sounds, either factory installed or user installed.

Programs are lists of samples used + oscillators + adjustments (ie filters, EQ, envelopes, etc).

Combinations are groupings of multiple programs assigned to various keys.

PCG files are sort of like all the programs/combinations used.

I was getting confused because the downloads had things like emulated piano, LE sounds, etc. They are actually using existing samples (unless KSF/KSC files are included).

Am I correct?

Also, what do you mean, no synth required for PCGs? Do you mean to edit them? If there's no samples, how can you play them back?
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rob0214 wrote:
Ah, ok, I think a lightbulb went on in my head.

Samples are the base sounds, either factory installed or user installed.

Programs are lists of samples used + oscillators + adjustments (ie filters, EQ, envelopes, etc).

Combinations are groupings of multiple programs assigned to various keys.

PCG files are sort of like all the programs/combinations used.

I was getting confused because the downloads had things like emulated piano, LE sounds, etc. They are actually using existing samples (unless KSF/KSC files are included).

Am I correct?

Also, what do you mean, no synth required for PCGs? Do you mean to edit them? If there's no samples, how can you play them back?

Yes you are right:
PCG contains Programs, Combi and Global info, meaning all the PARAMETERS (you can edit) on the synth.

The KSF/KSC contains the samples and sample parameters (I think), I haven't analyzed them (yet).

With 'no synth required' for PCG files I mean I can load in my app several PCGs, also from synths I do not own. I can extract info or change settings, but of course I cannot listen to them. For that I need to copy the PCG file to the (correct model) synth.

SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the Triton itself can already dump a program over sysex that you can record in Protools and play back later. Just don't remember where from - the global page, perhaps? I can have a look tomorrow if I remember.

If the main thing you're worried about is editing and retaining the correct patches for your project, that's really all you need. Just need to do the actual editing from the Triton itself.
rob0214

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm starting to see why people replace out the floppy drive. Just finding a computer that download and write the patches to floppy can be a challenge.

As for editor/librarian functionality, I've been looking at http://sourceforge.net/projects/jsynthlib/

(and it's associated docs at http://jsynthlib.wikispaces.com/

Looks like it would be a pretty large effort to make a Triton editor given the sheer number of parameters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Classic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: