Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

untitled track - OSAM january 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: untitled track - OSAM january 2012 Reply with quote

seeing as i posted this in the wrong place. here it is again.

http://soundcloud.com/neotechtonics/osam-jan1

EMX - drum tracks and synth parts
microkorg - layered synth over emx
SP-404 - vocal sample
KP3 - talk effect
R16 - recording
Boss MT-2 - distortion of individually bussed EMX synth part

was just trying to see if i could create an authentic electric guitar sound.. almost .

work in progress

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please feel free to leave comments/criticism/suggestions Smile

KORG GEAR: EMX1-SM -- EMX1-SD -- KAOSS PAD3 -- MICROKORG -- KAOSSILATOR PRO -- NANOKONTROL1
OTHER GEAR: Roland SP404, MC303 -- Akai MPC-2500 SE -- Zoom R16 -- effects pedals -- DJ-gear -- Access Virus B
georgeinar
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that strange guys voice about the universe. Very dramatic. Intersting that it says 137 bpm, but sounds like you're half timing it, which I do a lot as well. I think it would add dynamics if the buzzing would suddenly and abruptly let up for a split second and open up a hole in the soundscape every 4 measures or so. I would bring in another vocal or repeat the vocal later on and a snare with more punch might add to the beat. But I do like the buzzy atmospheric vibe you're creating. Interesting!!
album cover
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah... 137BPM... only cos it started out as such but it later became a half-tempo track (EMX still says 137 tho =P )

I hear what you're saying about by having a pause in the buzz every 4 measures. I figure I can acheive that with part-muting on the synth part, might need to fiddle with the note-gate time to make sure that notes before the end of the bar finish at a good point on a quarter note.

bear in mind this was all just one pattern on the EMX with real-time part-muting, no song mode or multiple patterns.

as for adding in more vocal samples.. i've got a few good ones but i'm being selective of what i put in each track... dont want to get to a point where a sample is being used again in a new track haha.
i also agree that the snare could use a little more impact seeing as its half-tempo, the snare worked fine when it was on the 2nd and 4th.

the whole point of this track was just to experiment with my distortion pedal Very Happy

thanks alot for the feedback... and expect more experimental stuffs.. i havent quite discovered "my sound" just yet Cool

Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool atmosphere! I definitely like those deep buzzy tones in there (buzzy? ...haha). I also really loved that dirty synth lead in there, sounds pretty awesome. Though the only thing is that it seemed like it was out of place to me, maybe. The song screams atmosphere, and I just think that there needed to be some kind of reverb or echo effect on it to blend in. Maybe automating one in there. And also I think the beat could use some change-ups here and there. I think it had to do with the kick though, like in those spots where the kick would play 4 times in a row. I'd say take out the last kick that comes after the snare.

Other than that, I like this sound. Dark and atmospheric. I may try something like that some time.
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the feedback pumpkin king.

the bulk of the 'atmosphere' of this track is from a stock microkorg patch Razz haha... that eerie synthline.. cant recall if i did tweak it a bit or not... but it was just running over the top of the main bassline on the EMX

as for changing up the drums... definitely agree there. this entire track was ONE pattern on the EMX with part muting and parameter changes done realtime while i recorded the track. I think only the LFO was automated. so there's a great deal of room for improving transitions, break-down sections, drum dynamics etc etc by building up extra patterns to transition thru to break up the song into sections and keep things from getting too repetitive. (which is what i'm doing with my february track)

time to kick it up a gear. lots of room for improvement, and plenty ideas to experiment with.

neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pumpkin King wrote:
I think the beat could use some change-ups here and there. I think it had to do with the kick though, like in those spots where the kick would play 4 times in a row. I'd say take out the last kick that comes after the snare.

i listened again to the track and i understand exactly which kick you're referring to and fully agree that it needs to go to give the snare breathing space.

Pumpkin King

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

punpkomg wrote:
Pumpkin King wrote:
I think the beat could use some change-ups here and there. I think it had to do with the kick though, like in those spots where the kick would play 4 times in a row. I'd say take out the last kick that comes after the snare.

i listened again to the track and i understand exactly which kick you're referring to and fully agree that it needs to go to give the snare breathing space.

Cool, glad you understood what I was referring to, haha. But yeah, I think that would help.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the progression of this. And the sounds. It's got a good atmosphere.
Which synth did that massive bass-lead come from?
Could perhaps do with adding something when the lead plays through the 2nd time though.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
neotechtonics
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile I'm glad it came out OK cos it's a deviation from what I'm usually putting together on the EMX. Definitely a direction I'd like to explore more.

The bass lead is from the EMX: 6-saw unison osc, detuned and heavily driven then bussed through a Boss MT-2 distortion pedal. I'm battling to recall if I was lazy and passed the audio back into the EMX to reduce the number of channels I'd have to deal with later, something that I would do Razz ... If so, I should have put it on its own channel on the R16 to round it off with some reverb as pumpkin king suggested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> One song a month – One year Contract All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: