Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos and receiving sysex
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Kronos and receiving sysex Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to switch from SetList to Combi to Program (etc) using sysex.

I'm using MaxMSP and I captured the sysex that was generated by the Kronos when I pushed the Combi button.

I then switched the Kronos back to SetList mode and tried to send the previously captured sysex back to the Kronos to get it to go into Combi mode but nothing happens.

I'm certain that the sysex message was sent as I inserted an iPad into the MIDI stream to monitor the data.

Is there something else I need to do to make this work? As far as I can tell, everything is enabled on the Kronos to allow sysex to work.

Thanks,
D
CaptLego

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I can't help with your problem. But I'm curious, what's your application for this?
.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not necessary (or let's say: highly unlikely) that the message the Kronos sends when going into combi mode is the same as the message which MAKES the Kronos change to combi... It's like the difference between the sentences "I'm in combi now" vs. "Please got to combi".

I would not expect the Kronos to react to the message you captured. Otherwise, if you were lucky to have two of them linked together via Midi, the "slave" would always do exactly the same as the "master" at every single touch of knobs or display - not very practical.

The accesory DVD #2 contains some documentation about midi and sysex implementation, maybe you find something there!?
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know this to be the case or is this just speculation? I don't agree with your arguments for why it must be as you describe. First of all, the only reason to confirm that "I'm in combi mode" is if a request is sent and in such a case I can't imagine why it would be necessary to send a huge sysex message just to ACK. Further, if what you say is right, then I would expect two messages, one with the request and the other with the response. Wouldn't you want an external editor (if not a slave Kronos) to know that the request had been made? Finally, if one is indeed lucky enough to have two devices connected together, then one would typically configure them with different sysex IDs specifically to prevent the issue you describe.

.Jens wrote:
It's not necessary (or let's say: highly unlikely) that the message the Kronos sends when going into combi mode is the same as the message which MAKES the Kronos change to combi... It's like the difference between the sentences "I'm in combi now" vs. "Please got to combi".

I would not expect the Kronos to react to the message you captured. Otherwise, if you were lucky to have two of them linked together via Midi, the "slave" would always do exactly the same as the "master" at every single touch of knobs or display - not very practical.

The accesory DVD #2 contains some documentation about midi and sysex implementation, maybe you find something there!?

fclef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To change the mode from your DAW, insert one of these sysex parameters:
For SetList: F0 42 30 68 4E 09 F7
For Combi mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 00 F7
For Program mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 02 F7
For Sequence mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 04 F7
For Sampling mode: F0 42 30 68 4E 06 F7
Note: these are zeros, not the letter O
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have built a replacment for Apple MainStage using Max/MSP to control my rigs. When I switch to a new song, sending a program change isn't sufficient if the Kronos was switched into another mode manually and/or it is in editing mode. So I am hoping to be able to simulate pushing the Exit button followed by an explicit switch to the desired mode before I send a program change out.

That way I can guarantee that no matter what was happening before, When I load a new song in Max, the Kronos is guaranteed to get configured properly.

CaptLego wrote:
Sorry, I can't help with your problem. But I'm curious, what's your application for this?

.Jens

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhjdhj wrote:
Do you know this to be the case or is this just speculation?

It's just speculation. I said "would not expect...". But the reason for this is quite common and coherent with your own words: "request" and "response". Typically a request is different from a response, so just recording some kind of response will normally not get you to the correct synatx for the request. Especially not if your observation is a "huge" Sysex-message.

I assume that if you press the combi button, the K will just blow out it's current state including not only the current mode, but a complete description of the currently selected combi (or prog). There are not only scenarios where this requires a request before: e.g. if some day there will be an editor, it would be quite logical to let it "know" the current state and settings of the device, even if the change is not triggered by the editor via sysex request but by the player pressing a button. Consider the message as useful for synchronising a future editor and the device itself.

Quote:
...one would typically configure them with different sysex IDs specifically to prevent the issue you describe.

Where do you configure the ID in the Kronos? Or the ID of a chained instrument? This is at least not straightforward...

Why would you expect the request to be the same as the response? Seems like you have some experience in remoting synths.
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and took a closer look at the sysex that I was capturing and sure enough, the very first sysex message is identical to these examples below.

So I took another look at my hardware environment. Turns out I was monitoring the wrong place and even though the messages were being sent out of my Mac, my MOTU Timepiece was blocking (muting in MOTU terminology) outgoing sysex messages.
Once I unmuted it, I was able to make this work.

Thank you, fclef, for providing those examples --- that caused me to be able to look in the right place.

Really appreciated.
D

fclef wrote:

dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a request is different from a response but I would have been astonished if the request itself didn't get sent out and it turns out that it does.
Quote:
Why would you expect the request to be the same as the response?

I don't see why that must be. An editor will want to be able to get the state of the system without actually changing the current setup so typically specific requests would be sent to ask for the "state". I don't know why changing mode has to send out everything but it doesn't matter. The first thing sent is the request and I can just capture/mirror back, which gives me what I need.

Quote:
I assume that if you press the combi button, the K will just blow out it's current state including not only the current mode, but a complete description of the currently selected combi (or prog).

Haven't looked for how to to do this on the Kronos but it's part of the spec and usually changeable. See for example (http://www.2writers.com/eddie/MidiGlossary.htm#DeviceId)

Quote:
Where do you configure the ID in the Kronos? Or the ID of a chained instrument? This is at least not straightforward...

Uh, yeah!
Quote:
Seems like you have some experience in remoting synths.

fclef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer a question raised in one of the above posts, the instrument and manufacturer are specified in the SysEx string. In this example F0 42 30 68 4E 09 F7, (the string to place the Kronos in SetList mode) the second pair of numbers (42) identifies the maker as Korg, the fourth pair identifies the specific instrument - in this case a Kronos. If the fourth pair of numbers was 50 instread of 68, the SysEx data would be looking for a Triton. These codes are always identified in the instrument's MIDI Implementation Chart.
In the past: Korg DS8, M1, T3, Trinity, O1W, Wavestation, Triton Extreme, Triton Studio 76
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but most synths that I've ever seen have a device ID that you can change, so that you can distinguish multiple identical synths in your environment.
That may be less of an issue these days if one uses a multi-port MIDI interface so there's never more than one device on a midi cable.
dhjdhj

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I spoke too soon --- these sysex messages do work to switch you from one mode to another, but they don't work if you are in a place where you need to press EXIT one or more times to get back to the base mode.
The EXIT button does not generate a sysex message so unless there's an undocumented mechanism, there would seem to be no way to guarantee that you can get back to a specific mode.

dhjdhj wrote:
I went back and took a closer look at the sysex that I was capturing and sure enough, the very first sysex message is identical to these examples below.

So I took another look at my hardware environment. Turns out I was monitoring the wrong place and even though the messages were being sent out of my Mac, my MOTU Timepiece was blocking (muting in MOTU terminology) outgoing sysex messages.
Once I unmuted it, I was able to make this work.

Thank you, fclef, for providing those examples --- that caused me to be able to look in the right place.

Really appreciated.
D

fclef wrote:

EnjoyRC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fclef wrote:

VERY much appreciated! Very useful for the automation I do on stage.

Korg (Kronos 88, RK-100S 2), Behringer DeepMind 12, Roland (GAIA, A-800-Pro)
rs.felicio
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been learning a little bit about FM, speciality on Kronos (Mod-7)...so, on prog mode, would be possible to receive a "real time" Sysex message (not load sys file!!!) for live performance using a equipment like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivHTMr63GdI

http://www.electronicmusicworks.com/detalhes.asp?id=85&produto=7&loja=#descricao

Thanks
SoundQuest

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your equipment is going to send DX7 specific SysX messages that the Kronos won't respond to in real time. However, you can certainly send Kronos specific program and parameter edit messages to the instrument in real time and it will respond. All of the parameters can be edited in real time. You can work through Korg's SysEx docs or you can simply open the MIDI monitor in the editor and it will show the SysEx messages being sent to the instrument. You can use these with any hardware or software capable of sending the messages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: