Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

S/PDIF IN distortion issue

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: S/PDIF IN distortion issue Reply with quote

Having problems with bringing a signal into the Kronos through S/PDIF.

It seems to come in really loud and has a bit of digital distortion with it.

I've tried:
- lowering the input volume. Distortion still there
- input from a different source (different computer). Distortion still there.
- changing the word clock source on the Kronos. Kronos gives me a word clock error message.
- hooking up computers to different hardware--to each other and also to an amplifier. Distortion not there, so it's something specific with the Kronos.

Has anyone had or dealt with this issue?
JuneauUnderground

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here. The Kronos operates at 48k only and not 44.1k. It has an internal clock and the ability to receive word clock externally. If you go the external route your word clock source has to transmit a 48k signal. Your source you are trying to spdif into the Kronos has to be set to 48k as well, or you are going to have all kinds of weird digital snap, crackle, pops and/or it just won't work, or distort badly. I use an Apogee Big Ben as my clock source piped into the spdif in-port of the Kronos. All my gear, audio interface and computer DAW are running at 48K. No problems as all my gear is receiving a rock solid 48k clock rate from the Big Ben.

The Kronos word clock error message comes when the external clock rate doesn't match 48k or the Kronos is not rceiveng external clock.

Try setting your source to 48k and the Kronos to internal clock and see what happens. Alternatively, set your source to receive external clock 48k, leave the Kronos set to internal and see if that works. You can also try to set the Kronos word clock to external, and set your source device to 48k and transmit it to the Kronos through spdif. All the above assumes you can set your source device to transmit/receive, the one you are trying to spdif into the Kronos, to the 48k clock rate.

I probably over analyzed and thus further confused the situation. Bottom line your clock rate from your source has to match that of the Kronos, which is 48k.

Last edited by JuneauUnderground on Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: S/PDIF IN distortion issue Reply with quote

donjuancarlos wrote:
- changing the word clock source on the Kronos. Kronos gives me a word clock error message.

From the Operation Guide:

CLOCK ERROR!
Meaning: The Global System Clock is set to S/P DIF, but the clock at the digital input is not being detected correctly.
• Whenever you use digital audio connections, make sure that all connected systems are set so that there is one and only one word clock master. You can set the word clock for the KRONOS using the Global page System Clock parameter. For more information, see “System Clock” on page 756 of the Parameter Guide.
• Make sure that your external device is correctly transmitting a digital signal.
• Make sure that the sample rate of the external device is 48 kHz.
• Make sure that there is no problem with the cable.

From the referenced section of the Parameter Guide:

System Clock
[Internal, S/P DIF]
This sets the digital audio clock source of the KRONOS.
When connecting multiple digital audio devices–such as the KRONOS and a S/P DIF device–it is important that the word clocks of the devices be locked together. If the clocks are not locked, the audio may be marred by pops and clicks.
The KRONOS can lock to incoming clocks from the S/P DIF input, or it can generate its own clock.
Internal: The KRONOS will use its own internal clock. This is the default setting.
S/P DIF: The KRONOS will use the S/P DIF IN as the master clock.
If System Clock is set to S/P DIF but the KRONOS is not detecting a valid clock signal, you’ll see the message “Clock Error!” at the top of the display. More importantly, the KRONOS will not sound correctly.
If this occurs, check the following:
• Make sure that the word clock settings of all connected devices are set up correctly, and that there is one and only one device configured to be the word clock master.
• Make sure that the device providing the master clock is powered on.
• Make sure that all cables are undamaged, and are connected properly. If possible, try using different cables.
Note: The System Clock setting can be stored by the Write Global Setting page menu command.

Always check the clock settings of all connected digital audio devices - not just the settings of a single one. All connected devices must be configured together, as a system, with one and only one master.

Hope this helps,

Dan
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
donjuancarlos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after scouring the Internet, it appears that the problem is with Soundblaster cards (XFi and Audigy)

They can receive word clock properly through S/PDIF in, but they have send issues and they cannot be slaved. Too bad for me. Thanks to all who replied.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: