Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ebay too good to be true?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor Hickson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: ebay too good to be true? Reply with quote

Hi guys;

While talking to friends recently, the subject came up of old Yamaha DX7/21/27 synths which I knew from the 80's and I wondered if you can still pick them up anywhere... I looked at ebay..

While hunting through, I found a yamaha SO3 listed for 1p (yes.. one penny) and a Korg workstation at the price of 99p. I almost jumped at both but I smell a rat...

Not knowing either instrument, the thought occurred that they could be minisynths with microkeys and a preset bank of 64 fixed sounds as seen on the casio toy instruments but checks on the manufacturers' websites suggested they were full function, poly, multitimbral all singing and dancing machines with tea making facilities!

So my question is:
CAN THIS BE TRUE? Or is there some catch such as "yes it's a penny.. per month for the next 99 years!!! Both instruments are listed as fully working, although showing some cosmetic wear and tear for the age...

Your thoughts?

Trev
(PS: Just checked and the Korg is no longer listed on ebay)
mikemolloyuk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some listings do this and make their money from the P&P.

Can you provide the link for the ones available?

Ex Korg UK Technical Support 2002 - 2010

Forum Moderator since 2011

When Words Fail, Music Speaks
tpantano
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, Ebay is an auction service that offers a store feature.

Even if they set the keyboard to cost .99, they may have a reserve- meaning that they don't have to sell the keyboard unless they make their reserve amount.

Also, as pointed out, shipping + handling can often be set to a high price to pretend that their object has a low cost, but with the shipping they make a profit.
X-Trade

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say much more than others have said above without having links to the listings...
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
ghostly606

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless that is the buy it now price then it is highly unlikely the synth will sell for that. I start all my ebay auctions at 99p, the cheap price generates a lot more page views and watchers and usually results in a higher selling price. I never use a reserve price, it puts buyers off.
Kontrol49
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostly606 wrote:
Unless that is the buy it now price then it is highly unlikely the synth will sell for that. I start all my ebay auctions at 99p, the cheap price generates a lot more page views and watchers and usually results in a higher selling price. I never use a reserve price, it puts buyers off.

It results in more people taking a punt on a bid,wouldn't say it always guarantees a higher price,its a risk you take,I've done that several times and lost out what I hoped to get for it,but hey ho you have to abide by the rules,or pull the auction,Any musical equipment now I always slap a modest reserve on but still put the starting bid as £0.99 so that people still think they have a chance of getting it for a fair price,the thing with Ebay is that some people want something for nothing.

It wouldn't be half as bad if Ebay didn't take such a large cut percentage wise many people list items with a silly starting bid,Either because they want to still make a decent cut after fees,or there just plain greedy,the latter you'll find puts people off,and it doesn't help with many people trying it on with silly starting bids well and above the market value secondhand,some clown will buy it and it opens up a plethora of sellers coming out of the woodwork finding out there mediocre "Microkorg vast produced synth" they discarded in the attic has generated an attractive price,so they take a punt claiming its "vintage",with a silly starting bid hoping to retire off it!!!

Its always better to let people decide what its worth,but I still slap a fair reserve on it.Ebay is always my last resort for selling music gear anyway,I'd rather take all the money for it than give them my cash,so always advertise things privately first,especially since you already lose out if its doesn't sell fairly,and even more so if you use paypal,personally think ebay are the biggest crooks on the planet,and people complain about banks ripping people off they sting you for final valuation fee and then take another cut with paypal so you end up paying them 13% of your sale price,and then they slap silly holds on your funds so you have to wait longer for your paypal transactions,once they did that to me I stopped using paypal and had everything up for cash on collection only,I refuse to send Musical instrument items out in the post without the funds in my possesion first
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: