Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drum Tracks with changes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Drum Tracks with changes Reply with quote

I've done this successfully before but can't seem to remember how I did it and can't seem to find the appropriate page.
I'm trying to just write a drum track and have different parts.
For example: I would like to have an intro, then a verse, then a chorus.
How do I put these all together in the sequencer?
I would really like to see a "step by step" list written out so I could print it of and insert the drum parts that I want.
The worst thing is that I've managed to do this before but I can't figure out how I did it!
It sucks getting old!
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Song000, You can record each part and take note of their measure numbers eg. Verse=measures 1 to 8, Chorus measures 9 to 16, bridge 17 to 24 etc. Then using Track Edit, just copy the measures to the desired location in Song001. So in Song001, go to the track edit page, go to Copy Measure, Then copy the appropriate measure range from Song000 to Song001.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,

Are you trying to put together preset patterns, or make your own patterns, or a combination of both? Also, do you want to permanently save those patterns for use in any song/combi/program, or just make drum patterns that you will only need for one song.

Most of this stuff is likely to be done on the RPPR page when your in Seq mode. How to do it depends on what you need.
zzz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This calls for a friendly, understandable list of tutorials that explain to the non-scientists, how to do regular stuff easily. We are the group that are the early adopters, soon to be "experts". Let's get to it, and have a tutorials page where you can delve into things as simple, or complicated as you wish.
narf
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzz wrote:
This calls for a friendly, understandable list of tutorials that explain to the non-scientists, how to do regular stuff easily. We are the group that are the early adopters, soon to be "experts". Let's get to it, and have a tutorials page where you can delve into things as simple, or complicated as you wish.

Excellent suggestion! The OASYS forum has something similar. I think the Kronos forum is due for one too.

Kronos Ultimate Covers Pack
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardsync,

I'm trying to piece together a drum track using the presets so that I have an intro, a verse, a chorus, a bridge. That kind of thing. I want to know how to easily do this so that every time I write a song I can have fairly accurate representations of the drum parts to show my drummer.
The problem I'm having is that I can set up a good drum pattern pre-set but can't change it to a different one for a different part of the song. I have done this before but can't seem to do it again. I do know that there is an easy way to do this. It's very frustrating.I seem to think there was some kind of "copy/paste" function that I used but can't seem to find it now.

The tutorial seems like a brilliant idea. Especially if it is in a video format. I have seen ones for my recorder and they help immensely.
Gear: Kronos 73, Triton Pro-X, Wavestation EX, Polysix, King Korg, Monotron and Monotron Duo, Minikorg, Moog Grandmother, 1 Roland U-20, Hammond M3, 4 acoustic and 6 electric guitars, 1 Ibanez 5 string bass, a bunch of microphones and other very cool toys, 1 wife and 3 cats!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, here's one way to do it. The idea is that you will first load in your preset patterns to the Sequencer's user patterns by using the Load Drum Track Pattern Command. Then you use the Copy to MIDI Track command to put it into the song. Note, it may be helpful to go to p.588 and p.656 of your Parameter Guide for reference.

Begin by entering SEQ mode and then go to the Pattern RPPR page.

Select your the track that has your drum kit. This way you can press the Play/Stop button to hear your patterns, if you'd like.

Touch the command menu and choose Load Drum Track Pattern.

Choose your preset pattern(s). Note, if these patterns are sequential, you can load several at once, and they will be loaded into several user patterns in the same order. Otherwise, just load them one at a time.

Once you have all of your patterns loaded, touch the Pattern Name tab. You should see all of your preset pattern names there. This is makes it easy to work out what is what when you're copying them to the track.

Now, you're going to use the Copy to MIDI Track command to place them in a song in the order you want.

So, choose your first pattern from the pattern select box near the top of the screen (not the names section, but the upper area).

Touch the command menu and select the Copy to MIDI Track command and place your pattern in the first measure.

Choose your next pattern in the pattern select box and copy it to the appropriate measure.

Keep repeating until everything is in place.

Other things to note:

There is also the Put to MIDI Track command, which doesn't copy any of the pattern data over, it just links to the user patterns. There are pros and cons to using it. So, if you were to change a user pattern in RPPR it would automatically update the song.

Another thing to do is assign the RPPR user patterns to keys and record the patterns in real time.

It's going to come down to your preference how you want to do it.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Hardsync.
I'm off to the cottage in a few minutes but when I get back I'll give it a go.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeremy,

I have unintentionally given you really roundabout instructions above, plus I think Load Drum Track Pattern may only be for user patterns. I was just messing around with this on my M3 and found a quicker way, which I suppose will work the same for the Kronos:

When you're on the RPPR page, in the Pattern Select box near the top, change the pattern type from User to Preset.

Dial in your preset drum pattern.

Now touch the menu command button and you should see a Copy to Track option in the menu. Use that and then place pattern in your song.

Dial up next pattern. Repeat.

If you want, you can use the Copy Pattern command to load these into song's user patterns, where you can then edit them. Not a requirement...

Apologies if I've misled you earlier.
jeremykeys
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I've printed off your instructions so that I can follow them in my studio. My poor old brain doesn't remember for some reason. Probably the result of a mis-spent youth!

Thanks again. HardSync
jg::
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:39 am    Post subject: Song Templates Reply with quote

If you're looking to put a series of Factory Drum Patterns into a song (or your own Patterns, for that matter), using the RPPR page is quite valid, but this is also a good starting point:

* Choose an empty song
* From the Menu, choose Load Song Template
* Select from one of the 17 preset "styles" of songs, or one of your own templates
* Check the box: "Copy Pattern To MIDI Track Too"

Now you can freely choose between any of the Factory Drum Patterns (or your own), and hit OK to enter it into the drum track once. Continue hitting OK to enter it into the track multiple times, or, change the pattern wherever you like, on whatever measure you like. You'll see the measure number advance each time you press OK.

Other tracks in the Factory Templates are set up with appropriate sounds and effects, all ready to go.

jg::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: