Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Customizing your Korg Arranger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Customizing your Korg Arranger Reply with quote

I bought the little Korg Micro Arranger and must say I really enjoy playing around with it. I have figured out how to reload styles and performances and save them. I have not figured out how to load sounds from the SD card yet. I am not very knowledgeable about Midi, sound mixing, or other techie type stuff related to these keyboards - mostly I am a player. That said, it would be nice to really know how to change sounds, tweak styles, and really customize the KMA. I am willing to read, learn, experiment, spend time and whatever is required but where do you find well written definitive explanations of the parameters and exactly what effect they have on things?

I have searched the internet but so far have had no success. For example, suppose I want to adjust a trumpet sound and remove the "waver" from it. Where is there information that tells me which parameter to start with? Or, what about the simple tasks of balancing accomp and lead sounds for all variations and making saving those changes.

Seems to me Korg should have some sort of material to assist. I hope someone here can provide some guidance because I have a feeling the little KMA could be a real great sounding keyboard.

Deane
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its always a bit of a problem looking for model-specific answers to wide open questions about synthesis methods. Plus, newer models won't have the user base and 3rd party (i.e., youtube posted) support for a while, if ever.

That's not to say that the answers aren't out there, but they may not have a convenient tag on them that says "KMA", "Editing out annoying parameters" "Editing in cool parameters", etc.

I know next to nothing about the KMA or the "waver" you're trying to edit out, but I do know that the place to look is in either the amplitude (volume) or pitch edit pages. The waver may be tied to another control(s) like velocity, a mod wheel, or may just come in over time. It (vibrato) probably isn't part of the sample that's used to make the sound so you should be able to get rid of it or reduce it if that's your desire.

------------

To learn more about what each module/page of synth editing does I'd recommend looking at synthesis tutorials for other Korg gear; Korg because the synth architecture and the terms used to describe it stay fairly constant. You might glean some knowledge from watching analog or other mfg's tutorials, but the lingo used doesn't always match up with what's on your board.

There are lots of tutorials posted on Trinity, Triton, M3 etc. all of which will share some parameters with the KMA. You may have to wade through a bunch of things to find what you need, but almost all of the general "how-to" sound editing will be useful.

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
Deane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BB,
Thanks for this very helpful info. I will search the sites you listed. It is good to have a place to start.

I want to "clean up" the brass voices for starters and work on the trombones and clarinets. I play a style of music that needs Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, and Bobby Hackett quality sounds. Anyway, thanks for your advise.

Deane
capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Customizing your Korg Arranger Reply with quote

Deane wrote:
I have a feeling the little KMA could be a real great sounding keyboard.
Deane

Hi Deane,
It really is a great sounding Keyboard!

An easy way for the start

to improve your sounds
is to open up the Menue,
go to page 3 and press F4 and select the sound you want to improve.
The amount of FX (D) should be brought up with the dialling wheel to somewhere near 100.
Then change to page 8
select FX D.
With the dialling wheel you can select the type of FX you want to use.
After you have found the one which suits you,
change to page 12
Here you can edit the FX and bring it up to your personal requirements.

You will be surprised how much more you get out of this small keyboard!

Smile
Deane

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capricorn,
Thanks for the instructions. I'll get time to try this tomorrow. Where in Germany are you? We are visiting Berlin and Munich this summer.

Deane
capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deane wrote:
Capricorn,
Thanks for the instructions. I'll get time to try this tomorrow. Where in Germany are you? We are visiting Berlin and Munich this summer.

Deane

Oh, I hope you will have a good time over here and enjoy your stay!!
I am living about 80 miles from Hamburg at the German Bight (Northsea), a place named Cuxhaven:
http://www.gigapixel-cuxhaven.de/index.php
Smile
johnsmies
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dean,

Check your emails.
An indept manual about SOUND structure and how to change things and what effects they have. It is written for the PA800 but if you read it from cover to cover it will surely help to understand your Micro Arranger a lot better.

greetings,
John Smies
Deane

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John,
I'll give it a go.

Deane
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: