Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AX3000G ... MIDI and Programs, on the fly ?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aural Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:15 am    Post subject: AX3000G ... MIDI and Programs, on the fly ?! Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to midi-map the KorgAX3000G to Abelton Live's looper. It's basically a set-up that enables me to hit Record, Overdub, Stop, Play, Reverse etc. with my foot while I play and loop along. It's pretty neat ...

Now, when the pedal is in 'Global', I have to goto 'Individual' mode still to trigger the MIDI. All good.

Till when I wanna change the Program and/or Banks already loaded/set on the pedal...

Now I can't seem to be able to do that without bending over and poking around the unit mid-song. Turning 'Global' off with my boots ain't happening lol... It's risky with those small plasticky switches, period.

Neither is poking around the AX3000G SoundEditor on my mac screen doing me any good... It's plain distractive.

I'm basically a singer/songwriter looking for a crowd-engaging performance here with this set-up while I rehearse my set. With all that poking around the pedal and a computer screen, it's looking lil' geeky. It's about the song being important, and the performance...

The macbookpro I'm using, a 13" one, only has 2 USB ports ...into one goes my external hdd and into the other goes the MIDISPORT UNO cable that basically connects the AX3000G to the mac... and into the FireWire goes my audio interface, the Apogee Duet. The Korgs stereo outs run into the Duet's inputs and I group them into into a stereo input in an Abelton track.

Ok, so ...

1) How do I switch effortlessly from the AX3000G's midi-map mode (Global) to the programes and banks ?! Without stopping playing the guitar/bass to be touching the pedal or trackpad with my hands ?!

2) How do I connect any MIDI additional devices to this set up ?! Given the lack of USB ports at this end, wouldn't a USB hub produce latency if I wanna plug my USB keyboard into my set-up to use some virtual instruments on the fly ?!

3) How would an Apogee Gio square up against the AX3000G to do what I'm doing ?! I'm on a budget here, so ...

Catch my sounds on www.soundcloud.com/AuralPhoenix

Thx in advance for any help, it's most appreciated ...

I'd like to know who's onto the looper thingy and on-the-fly instrumentations in Abelton around here, anyone ?!

regards,

A
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say really you want a 2nd pedal unit.

The MIDI map functionality of the AX is a bonus but not it's primary purpose. I'd imagine using it throughout the whole gig for one or the other but not changing back and forth like that.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Aural Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd need another too, I probably will buy a Gio later ...

But honestly, though collecting gear is good, making what you have work for you in a resourceful and musically creative way is even better. I'd rather try and work my way around this without having to lighten my wallet.

Now I think I'll use the AX as a midi controller exclusively and try out the native guitar tones in Abelton instead today.

Ummm, but I LOVE the sounds on the AX3000G. And their possibilities.

Is anyone aware howto transfer my AX3000G's programmes/banks into the Abelton browser ?! That would allow me to make a live set template with Korg's native programmes/banks a click away ... Ooops, wrong forum ?!
X-Trade

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the AX's 'sounds' are just a bunch of settings for its effect/modelling engine, then you can't transfer those effects into Ableton as Ableton doesn't have the Korg AX3000G's sound engine. You'd need an 'AX3000G FX Plugin', which doesn't exist because there'd be no reason to buy the real thing. Supposedly.

There are plenty of other guitar effects suites around though. I have been using Native Instruments GuitarRig which seems quite cool.

Or you could sample your guitar sounds (of course including the riffs themselves) into Ableton, but then you wouldn't be playing the guitar..

You can of course send MIDI messages from Ableton to the AX to select programs on it, but then you won't be using it as a MIDI controller as it will need to be in the normal mode to process your guitar sounds. I think anyway. Does it still process sounds when working as a MIDI controller? I haven't actually tried it. That could work.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Guitar Effects and Tuners All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: