Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this normal?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
murkushionist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Is this normal? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

I've just purchased a secondhand silver wavedrum. At first everything seemed okay, but while playing around with it I've noticed that a few of the presets are making some odd sounds. For example, P06 (pitched toms w/ cowbell) - when I strike the rim I do hear a cowbell sound...however, I also hear a sustained note that sounds a bit like a keyboard making a "choir" sound. P45 (mini tamtam/gong for drummer) is even weirder - striking the head results in both the mini tamtam sound as well as something that sounds like digital artifacts, sort of like when you use noise reduction software but turn it up way too much. I get the sound even when I press lightly on the head, and it continues until I release pressure.

Now I know that this thing is capable of making a lot of nontraditional sounds, but I wouldn't think that the regular cowbell and tamtam presets are supposed to sound like that. I've tried resetting everything to the factory settings, recalibrating the head, rim, and pressure sensor, and even took the head off just to see if there's anything weird going on underneath. Everything looks normal.

Can someone confirm that something's not right? I still have time to return the wavedrum and get a refund, which I suppose I would use to buy a new one. Alternatively, if this is how it's supposed to sound, I'd like to know so I can stop worrying that I've been ripped off.

Oh, and this isn't a big deal, but is it supposed to take a full 20 seconds to power on?

Thanks for your help!
WaterDrum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi murkushionist
good news from Africa :

seems everything is OK
20 -25 sec boot time (even more) is normal
the choir sound is also on my WD
P 06 : the choir sound comes from the rim Algo
P 45 : the "digital artifacts" (blubbering water noise )
come from the head algorithm , but should only appear when you apply pressure to the head.
check your press sensivity
(maybe it is independent from the factory reset , I dont remember )
make shure that head calibration parameters are at default
lo = 4 (or 5) (button 1)
sens =20 (button 2)

on the WD the sounds are sometimes different ,from what you would expect , Laughing
its not a bug , its a feature...

btw , how much was your used WD ?
murkushionist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, WaterDrum! I'm greatly relieved to know those sounds are normal. I do think I may need to make some adjustments to the sensitivity, however.
I can hear that "water burbling" sound even when I strike the rim (gong) in that preset, which I guess means that the head sensor is picking up more than it should.

I paid 360 USD for the Wavedrum, which was described as being in mint condition. It does seem like it's barely been used, in fact the head wasn't scratched up at all when I received it. So I may've been a bit paranoid in thinking I'd been ripped off...I think I just wasn't expecting such strange sounds coming from presets labelled with traditional instrument names.

Anyway, I'm off to play around with this thing and maybe take another stab at figuring out this manual.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this normal? Reply with quote

murkushionist wrote:
I've just purchased a secondhand silver wavedrum. At first everything seemed okay, but while playing around with it I've noticed that a few of the presets are making some odd sounds.

To reiterate what Waterdrum has already stated, I'd be concerned if your Wavedrum WASN'T "making some odd sounds"! Wink

It's an instrument unto itself that encourages exploration at all levels. Try a variety of implements (hands, stick, mallets, etc) and experiment a LOT with applying pressure to the head with one hand while striking the head or rim, or not playing either. Some programs will respond to pressure while others won't.

If your'e just getting to know the Wavedrum, be sure to take a look at the "Editing the Wavedrum..." thread at the top of this forum. There's a lot to learn but just be patient and enjoy the process. Have fun!
murkushionist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd give an update in case anyone is curious. It seems that the pressure sensor was set too high, and had to be adjusted via the adjustment screw on the bottom of the Wavedrum. Before the adjustment, any sound that is triggered by pressing and holding down the head (such as the water sound on P45) seemed very loud compared to everything else, as well as being triggered by just about any tap on the head or rim. Now that the sensor is set up right I can actually control the sound by applying varying amounts of pressure, which I assume is how it's supposed to work.

I've been messing around with the Wavedrum pretty much ever since the adjustment, and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface (well, figuratively at least) of what it's capable of. Very happy with this purchase. Thanks again for the help.
WaveDrummer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. People often pop in here for advice on something and then we never hear from them again. Confused

Glad to hear you've begun the creative journey!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: