Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions about kronos' piano...
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:
ok thanks guyz! you're all very helpful (special thx to chuck and michelkeijzers) Very Happy

does anyone had an experience on playing classics (classical music) on the kronos??? how does it feel (the piano)? is it really convincing to do classics on those piano??

Yes - classical piano music feels great on the Kronos 88, and yes, even more convincing than some acoustic pianos out there. You basically have a Steinway D at your disposal (or you can spring an extra $249 for a Bosendorfer Imperial but overall, the Steinway D should more than suffice for classical).

You are kidding right? Tonal similarities notwithstanding, playing an acoustic grand provides a completely different aural and tactile experience. That being said, if you have a properly functioning RH3, the Kronos can be used for playing classical. If your goal is to be a classical pianist I would still get a proper grand action. I do wonder, however, if the modified RH3 can handle the rapid repeats required on a piece like La Campanella.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:
ok thanks guyz! you're all very helpful (special thx to chuck and michelkeijzers) Very Happy

does anyone had an experience on playing classics (classical music) on the kronos??? how does it feel (the piano)? is it really convincing to do classics on those piano??

Yes - classical piano music feels great on the Kronos 88, and yes, even more convincing than some acoustic pianos out there. You basically have a Steinway D at your disposal (or you can spring an extra $249 for a Bosendorfer Imperial but overall, the Steinway D should more than suffice for classical).

You are kidding right? Tonal similarities notwithstanding, playing an acoustic grand provides a completely different aural and tactile experience. That being said, if you have a properly functioning RH3, the Kronos can be used for playing classical. If your goal is to be a classical pianist I would still get a proper grand action. I do wonder, however, if the modified RH3 can handle the rapid repeats required on a piece like La Campanella.

Not sure if you've actually tried playing classical piano on the Kronos... I have. It can handle virtually anything I throw at it... Flight of the Bumble Bee for example. This is with the modified/new RH3 keybed.
Bruce Lychee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:

Not sure if you've actually tried playing classical piano on the Kronos... I have. It can handle virtually anything I throw at it... Flight of the Bumble Bee for example. This is with the modified/new RH3 keybed.

La Campanella is a little different than Flight of the BB. That being said, before my RH3 went bunk, I did play a variety of classical pieces on it. Didn't have a problem, but the overall experience doesn't compare at all to playing my Shigeru. Nor should someone training to be a classical pianist rely solely on a Kronos. Yamaha's N series is a much more suitable DP for classical training.

I was just wondering if the modifications affected the ability to do rapid repeats at all. I wouldn't know because I am one of those just waiting for my Kronos to be what it is supposed to be.... Almost a year and counting.
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
Bruce Lychee wrote:
PianoManChuck wrote:
1jordyzzz wrote:

La Campanella is a little different than Flight of the BB. That being said, before my RH3 went bunk, I did play a variety of classical pieces on it. Didn't have a problem, but the overall experience doesn't compare at all to playing my Shigeru, nor should someone training to be a classical pianist rely solely on a Kronos.

I was just wondering if the modifications affected the ability to do rapid repeats at all.

Not in my experience, however, as good as the revised RH3 keybed is, I still sort of prefer Nord's Stage 2. Not to say the RH3 is worse or in any way more difficult - I can do equally well with either the Kronos or Nord keybeds... but I just prefer the Nord as far as piano keybeds go.
1jordyzzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i never think about it's keybed, but you guys have made a point here..
i have my old korg C-720 also with rh3 keybed... The sound... well it's not pretty convincing (the acoustic piano)... but recently i have studied chopin's fantasie impromptu, which got many short but fast trill... i gotta admit, that the keybed is not catching up with the trill.... the repetitive action is poor... it's the same thing when i wanted to do triplets repetitive note (for example, hitting note "d" with my 3 2 1 finger).. do it very fast, and the keybed starts to struggle with the speed.. dunno about la campanella though (my skill isn't enough yet Razz ).. but i do know that la campanella got many fast trills and repetitive, which i'm sure that the keybed on my c-720 couldn't handle it Sad

anyway, if kronos do sound good, i won't mind the keybed at all, because i don't do classical while gigging, it's just for practice (and to get many girls impressed too Laughing )

thx 4 your opinion
JPROBERTLA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last week the Kronos was a workstation (or not); now an acoustic piano suitable for classical music (or not). Does anyone really know what it is?

It doesn't matter what you call it or compare it to; it does everything I have needed it to and probably some things I have not discovered yet or will need it to. I don't think Korg every intended it to replace every keyboard instrument on the planet. It would probably be best if those who do not like it just move on, as Korg is not likely to make drastic changes in something that appeals to many and is selling very well.
Kronos2-88, Behringer XR18, Turbosound IP2000 (x2), dbx DriveRack 260, KRK Rokit 8s, Mackie CFX16, Mackie SRM450(x2), Mackie SRS1500 (x2), BBE processors (x4), Roland VSR 880 (x2), Alto TS210, Alto TX10 (x3) and SoundForge
vstkeys

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,
From my experience Kronos's lag on fast trills and grace notes is to do with latency.
For instance I have a 61 keybed but I do all my practise on my roland fp7f. When I switch to kronos just and start practising or playing the exact same stuff (triplets, reptition, trills, rusn etc )I feel that there is a lag and I can't pin poit what it really is. I used to think it was sensitivity on global settings but is not.
For instance when I play the same phrase slower, the articulation comes out how it is intended. Since dai 1 I got the kronos I noted some kind of latency which sometimes cam make your playing sound a little sloppy.
For instance have you all heard the demo of the new Jazz drum library?? in one of the tracks I pretty sure was the German grand was used however it sounds a little sloppy. Although all demos are great but the improv is somehow sloppy and I atribute that to latency.
I my opnion no keybed will solve this dilema.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: