Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

backing track/dmx lighting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: backing track/dmx lighting Reply with quote

I'm very close to knuckling down and purchasing possibly a Kronos.

Just wondering whether someone could clear some things up with me about the capabilities.

I want to set up the each individual backing track for the song on the keyboard (with the tempo set for each song, and occasionally tempo and time signature changes within a song) and then have a click track routed to our drummer. Backing tracks will be sent out stereo l/r, another backing track with bass tones will be sent out mono channel 1, and the click track out channel 2? Then possibly if we need a different mix of something being sent to our vocalist i just use the remaining empty channels?

[b]This all makes sense and is doable on the kronos, yes?[/b]

Where it gets tricky is, I want along within the same song program, so on another track below, having raw midi data being sent out the midi out to some dmx lighting gear? is this possibly at all? I currently do it on my laptop but i want to phase it out.

Thanks for any help.
marianghioda

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we can!
Haaa, I sound like somebody that we all know...
Seriously, I am doing all of what you're describing except the click track, which I don't need but I know it can be done just as you described it.

I still use my laptop because I have the CompuLive DMX interface (USB connected to Kronos, actually I had the setup like that with my Triton Extreme).
If your DMX interface uses raw MIDI, you can do it without going thru the laptop.
I control my DMX on MIDI track 16, and besides just the MIDI track being playback, I also assigned DMX controls to all my keys, makes way easier to control DMX live then any DMX mixer.
All the songs I have setup with the tempo witch controls all my other gear (sounds amazing when all the delay and other effects for my guitar and vocal is in sync)
I am also controlling a TC Helicon VoiceLive 2 on channel 15 (I have setup the harmonies and effects for each song to kick in and out when needed, Roland GR-55 on channel 14 and Fractal Axe Fx 2 on channel 13.
For a one man show this setup works like a charm, also I use the laptop to DJ when I'm not singing.

Here's a live video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYgGmk4FhI4
caspian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thankyou so much.

I use an enttecc usb dmxis interface which turns raw midi into dmx commands. but i'm not sure whether it requires the software to function.

Currently i have it all on a logic pro on my mac and have the audio outputs routed separately through an interface but its classicly unreliable and i just want to make sure the kronos does everything the laptop currently does.
pfrocha

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: VoiceLive Play2 Reply with quote

Marian, I also have a Kronos and a VoiceLive Play2, and I am curious to understand better how you are using them together. Can you please elaborate on that?

Thanks much
marianghioda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: VoiceLive Play2 Reply with quote

pfrocha wrote:
Marian, I also have a Kronos and a VoiceLive Play2, and I am curious to understand better how you are using them together. Can you please elaborate on that?

Thanks much

Of course,
On Kronos reserve one MIDI track just for controlling the Voice Live 2 (track 15 in my case). Switch the global MIDI channel on VL to that channel (15). Turn off local MIDI clock on VL, go to each patch and change the values of the tempo effects (delay, pan, etc.) from fixed time (like 500 ms) to notes (1/4, 1/8, full note etc.) that way when tempo changes from song to song, you can use the same patch. Also allow VL to accept patch changes through MIDI and this way you can setup the patch (instrument) on track 15 on Kronos so whatever you have there will translate on VL.
You can go further than that and record the corresponding CCs on track 15 and when played back will change different thing on VL (voices on/off, effects, practically everything) You will find all this in VL manual, I'm at work now. Good luck!
caspian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is your process for setting up your live sets?
how does it work on the kronos?

do you have a seperate project for each song, with the tempo, backing track (would be a .wav file in my case), and midi data for lights set?

or is it the entire live set all on the one project?
caspian

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be possible to control a dmxis interface without a computer, and just using the kronos?

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_menu=Products&pn=70570&show=description)
marianghioda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspian wrote:
what is your process for setting up your live sets?
how does it work on the kronos?

do you have a seperate project for each song, with the tempo, backing track (would be a .wav file in my case), and midi data for lights set?

or is it the entire live set all on the one project?

I had originally recorded all my songs as MIDI songs and played back from my Triton Extreme. When I got the Kronos I initially wanted to redo all the songs with it, but the sound are all different, I spent years on my songs to balance everything. So instead I recorded the songs in stereo 24bit audio files in Kronos. I also recorded my MIDI control tracks (13, 14, 15, 16) with the song, and set-up the right tempo. I play a MIDI guitar, so I have that setup to play live on track 1 (better said channel 1)
I run in the problem with the Kronos HD being too small, but I upgraded to 120GB, I'm happy now.
All my new songs are of course in MIDI only

Regarding DMX, unless Korg integrates DMX in their system (right now it only sends MIDI, which I use to "talk" to my DMX software), at the moment you can't control DMX without some kind of DMX interface.
There are some DMX mixers (hardware) that you can control with MIDI, or the easiest way is to have a DMX software and a DMX USB dongle that connects physically to your lights. (That would be the link you posted)
caspian

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I have a dmxis interface that currently runs from my laptop. Can i plug the usb of the interface that normal goes into my laptop, into the kronos and use it in the same way? no idea how it would work but if it could, would be ideal.

so the kronos can send out midi data simultaneously with a backing track?
marianghioda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caspian wrote:
Yeah - I have a dmxis interface that currently runs from my laptop. Can i plug the usb of the interface that normal goes into my laptop, into the kronos and use it in the same way? no idea how it would work but if it could, would be ideal.

so the kronos can send out midi data simultaneously with a backing track?

Yes, Kronos has the sequencer that plays simultaneously audio and MIDI. The MIDI tracks you can choose to play the Kronos sounds (Int), send MIDI out to anything that takes MIDI (Ext) or (Both) you can choose this in "track parameter" for each track.

In regards your DMX interface, if the interface is dependent on SOFTWARE, you have to have it with a computer. If the interface is a standalone type and all it needs is MIDI to control it, you can control it with MIDI from Kronos. Bottom line, you're dependent on the DMX interface if can use it alone. Kronos sends MIDI out the USB port. BTW, this could be done before too with just about any other workstation, and MIDI can be also sent thru the MIDI port.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: